Old 02-04-2015, 12:48 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Yes, it could be apraxia.

Can the child form his lips into a circle to, say, blow out a birthday candle?

With the help of SLP, people with apraxia can learn to speak. In the interim, is your friend being encouraged to teach him to sign? If he turns out to be just a "late talker," there's no harm in learning this skill.
Hi. I just spent about an hour watching youtube videos on kids with Apraxia. He sounds just like them. There was a 2 1/2 year old girl with a picture book and she was pointing and I swear she was acting EXACTLY like my friend's grandson. I also watched a youtube video about a 5 year old boy who has been videoed for the past 3 years. At 3 he couldn't pronounce anything. I watched as the therapist used a tool to measure where his tongue was and how he bites down and where he positions his tongue when he says things. And he blew bubbles. It was fascinating. I never new about Apraxia and it being a motor speech disorder.

These children need therapy ongoing don't they?

This is a tricky situation here. Only if the topic comes up and there's an open conversation and someone asks my opinion, I will then take out my tablet and show them these videos. I know that the mom of the baby has already done this. She is extremely hands on in matters regarding this child. But the other members of the family are older and not computer literate. I believe they are afraid he's autistic. I don't see this going on.

This is going to be a delicate situation.

I will continue to learn and gently head them in the right direction (they might be doing this already). I did ask once "what goes on during the speech therapy?) All the grandma knew was 'the mother doesn't know, she's not there when he gets therapy". which is another way of telling me to butt out. That's why I'm not butting in.

Eventually everyone will see that he's not speaking like other kids.

At least he is getting some therapy. We shall see what transpires.

Thanks to all of you.

Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (02-04-2015)