Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 09:22 PM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Why will I have to buy a router?

Okay, here's a new one for you guys (by the way, I found out how to help my friend install her AOL dial up and we cleaned her cache and she's a happy camper now.)

Now here's yet another of my dumb questions for you.

If and when I buy a laptop, WHY DO I HAVE TO USE A ROUTER?

Can't I just go into another room, (where I have a phone splitter thingee coming out of the phone jack in the wall), and can't I just plug the laptop into that thing? Of course I would have to have an electric outlet also (if I don't want to use battery life, right).

so all I want to know is why do I have to install a router in my computer? I know what a router does. I don't plan on leaving my house with the laptop. I just plan on using it in the kitchen or another room.

I know people with two or three computers in the house (each kid has one). No one has a laptop so no routers needed.

I believe that you can have more than one computer in the house if you have Verizon DSL, which I have.

Before I call them and make a fool of myself, I just want to be absolutely sure that I can go out, buy a laptop, go sit in the living room, plug the electrical part of it into my electrical outlet, plug the phone part of it into the phone thingee on the bottom of my wall (there is also a filter on that phone thingee so I don't need a new filter right?) Can I do this?

Thanks

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-25-2009, 11:31 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

You would still need to be somewhat near the modem that your desktop computer uses.

Plugging into a phone line won't get you onto the internet , unless you were to use dial up but then you'd have your phone line tied up.

before we went wireless we had a Ethernet cable strung along the edges of the wall from the phone line/ modem in the living room to the dining room where the computer is.
Put a rug over it where it went across the hallway.
I didn't want to drill holes in the walls or the floor, so we waited for wireless to come down in price.

Does your Verizon modem have more than 1 place in the back to plug in Ethernet cables?
Ours only has one plug for that size so we had to get a router for more than one computer to use the connection.
plus the router sorts out the information when more than one computer is using the connection.

here's a quick guide with info about wired connections.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4811447_conn...d-network.html

Wired vs Wireless Networking
http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/h...ewiredless.htm

Routers don't cost very much at all anymore.

sample of wired routers/prices on Amazon -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...nid=1248877011

wireless router prices -
http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12512605...89&sort=pmrank

long ago we had no router and only dial up so only one of the computers could be online at a time.
then son made a spare old computer into a server which worked as a router for multiple computer connections but still dial up back then.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:20 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I know this gets complicated.

My husband's laptop does not have wifi--- so he plugs directly into the router with a cable, like Jo describes-- a long long cable from the next room. Our laptop upstairs does have a wifi and gets our DSL from the router.

We have a Linksys router 24GHz (which has 4 plugs for cables in addition to the antenna actions) which was about $45 at Best Buy.
Previously we had a NetGear one which was very problematic and caused us much grief with its on and off temperament and erratic functions. Tiger Direct often has very good prices too, online.

If you have DSL your modem will only have so many plugs.
For example, this computer is directly plugged into our modem.
When the old router failed, I could still get onto the internet with this desktop by unplugging the router and going directly into the modem. You for example would plug the modem into the router, then using a cable you plug your desktop into the router, and then the router will send the signal to anywhere you are within its range, thru the air like a radio. Because our router is located in a room facing the yard, we get its signal outside at our picnic table. It is actually weaker upstairs.
What I still find confusing is when the modem fails. Our AT&T DSL sometimes goes down. When that happens you have to reboot your modem, router and computer in a certain order, to reset it all. I still get confused doing that, so hubby does it.

Newer laptops now have 3G cards that will for an extra fee, put you into a cell phone type linkup. That means you go thru a cell phone tower, and don't need a modem like with DSL. There is a monthly charge for this like a cell phone.

If you are getting a newer laptop I'd suggest you get a GOOD battery. At least a 6cell. Our Dell battery was poor and now dead, and we wish in retrospect we had considered a better one at the time. Now we have to replace the battery and it will be big bucks!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 08-26-2009 at 05:32 AM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (08-26-2009)
Old 08-26-2009, 09:26 AM #4
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I know this gets complicated.

My husband's laptop does not have wifi--- so he plugs directly into the router with a cable, like Jo describes-- a long long cable from the next room. Our laptop upstairs does have a wifi and gets our DSL from the router.

We have a Linksys router 24GHz (which has 4 plugs for cables in addition to the antenna actions) which was about $45 at Best Buy.
Previously we had a NetGear one which was very problematic and caused us much grief with its on and off temperament and erratic functions. Tiger Direct often has very good prices too, online.

If you have DSL your modem will only have so many plugs.
For example, this computer is directly plugged into our modem.
When the old router failed, I could still get onto the internet with this desktop by unplugging the router and going directly into the modem. You for example would plug the modem into the router, then using a cable you plug your desktop into the router, and then the router will send the signal to anywhere you are within its range, thru the air like a radio. Because our router is located in a room facing the yard, we get its signal outside at our picnic table. It is actually weaker upstairs.
What I still find confusing is when the modem fails. Our AT&T DSL sometimes goes down. When that happens you have to reboot your modem, router and computer in a certain order, to reset it all. I still get confused doing that, so hubby does it.

Newer laptops now have 3G cards that will for an extra fee, put you into a cell phone type linkup. That means you go thru a cell phone tower, and don't need a modem like with DSL. There is a monthly charge for this like a cell phone.

If you are getting a newer laptop I'd suggest you get a GOOD battery. At least a 6cell. Our Dell battery was poor and now dead, and we wish in retrospect we had considered a better one at the time. Now we have to replace the battery and it will be big bucks!

Okay, let's see if I have all this straight.

If I buy a laptop (which I thought already came with a built in modem, like my computer, but I guess I'm wrong there, cause it would be a dial up modem right?), then I have to get a router, attach it to my modem, attach the computer to the router, and then I could go anywhere in my home and use the laptop (not that I'm doing this, but I like to have all my eggs in a basket before I DO ANYTHING.

After going to my friend's house and watching her use the dial up I KNOW I COULD NEVER GO BACK TO DOING THAT. That would drive me bonkers.

She can't see me on youtube and everything takes SO LONG.

I just thought that with the newer laptops, they would have built in dsl modems (how silly am I in thinking this).

Now here's another thought. What if I got a modem from Verizon, and did WITH THE LAPTOP, what I did WITH THE DESKTOP.

I would go into the living room, set up a little desk, attach the external modem to the laptop, see if I get the green signal (oh wait, how stupid am I, I would have to pay for another dsl line, now wouldn't I?, OR WOULD I)?

See how confusing this is for this 61 year old brain.

God, I thought i was really getting computer literate.

and do you want to hear something funny?

My friend's son just bought a Dell. He brought it home and he now uses it. I was all excited thinking to myself "Aha, now I have someone I know who actually just bought a laptop and I can ask him all my questions"

She was on the phone with him, and I asked him the first of my series of laptop usage questions, beginning with:

"How large is your hard drive, how much memory do you have and what is your operating system?"

He sounded as if I was nuts and this was his response:"

"how the heck do I know, I just bought it, brought it home, and I go on the internet"

I didn't ask any more questions.

SIGH!!!!

lol

Melody

P.S. I'll do the router thing when I'm ready to buy a laptop, but given the Social Security situation, I don't think I'm getting one any time soon.

I'll just buy my sprouting seeds.

lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (08-26-2009)
Old 08-26-2009, 09:32 AM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Many of the new laptops are pushing the 3G card. Some have deals for the first year. So it is possible this young man is using it with the cell phone towers.

For example, the govt who owns my hubby's computer refuses to activate the wifi because of "security"...

So just before we left for vacation, some new policy was enacted to give agents the 3G card.

I used that a bit this summer to come on here and check weather.com

Because not all towers are 3G capable yet, we defaulted to 2G and it was HORRIBLE... slower than dial up... you wouldn't believe it.

AND...I just saw a Sprint commerical for 4G...to go with laptops and special phones! So just when you learn something new, bingo you're out of date already!

I think buying another modem for DSL would cost more than getting a router. And they may not let you do it anyway.
Our modem for AT &T was free with rebate ...if it dies, we will have to BUY another!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (08-26-2009)
Old 08-26-2009, 10:08 AM #6
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Many of the new laptops are pushing the 3G card. Some have deals for the first year. So it is possible this young man is using it with the cell phone towers.

For example, the govt who owns my hubby's computer refuses to activate the wifi because of "security"...

So just before we left for vacation, some new policy was enacted to give agents the 3G card.

I used that a bit this summer to come on here and check weather.com

Because not all towers are 3G capable yet, we defaulted to 2G and it was HORRIBLE... slower than dial up... you wouldn't believe it.

AND...I just saw a Sprint commerical for 4G...to go with laptops and special phones! So just when you learn something new, bingo you're out of date already!

I think buying another modem for DSL would cost more than getting a router. And they may not let you do it anyway.
Our modem for AT &T was free with rebate ...if it dies, we will have to BUY another!

Sigh!!!

I have SO MUCH TO LEARN, SO LITTLE TIME.

lol lol lol lol

Melody
Oh, by the way, I have a question for you and I'll pm you.

VERY INTERESTING.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY