Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 09:41 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Pharma Reports...gambling on an illness

I stumbled upon this gem when researching an off label drug. This site caters to investors and offers quite an array of research reports on drug treatments for PD in an attempt to inform investors on new directions for potential profits. This in and of itself is nothing new or a big surprise; I am rather amused to see it all packaged so neatly; it's like they have a crystal ball for the next 20 years of my life. Oh, note the prices for these reports are $3500-12000 USD! Here are a few highlights:

- Table 1: Prevalence and incidence of Parkinson's disease (PD) according to key epidemiology studies
(Wonder where they gleaned this info...since nothing comprehensive exists?)

-GSK's Requip Modutab will become the market leading PD brand in 2011... sustained activation of dopamine receptors with Requip Modutab could have a significant clinical benefit over pulsed agonism with standard drugs. (Really, out of several reports...this is what we have to look forward to)

-Other key compounds predicted for success include Kyowa Hakko's Istradefylline, Merck-Serono/Newron's Safinamide. (The FDA seems a minor routine nuisance with those non-approval letters)

- Neuroprotection clinical trial design continues to present challenges.
(No kidding. They do get some things...wonder if this scares away potential investors?)

The best part is that according to their Pipeline reports we really have only Requip Modutab as the next blockbuster treatment...neurotrophics look promising but won't "take off" until 2016. The future's so bright I gotta wear shades :P

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-09-2009, 06:51 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default milk it for all it's worth

That does suck, I have read these before and they pretty much don't seem to change at all from one year to the next. I think they are just trying to milk existing products as long as they possibly can. It does make one sick(er).

My response to this is what most of us are already doing: alternatives which have fewer if any side effects and about as much success in treating symptoms, compounded with the possiblity of neuroprotection (cafffeine, ginger, curcumin, nicotine patch, exercise, etc.)

While I understand companies have to make a profit in order to stay in business, I do firmly believe pharmas have not put as much into R&D as they could/should have with the result that we really have no new products to show for it. And not just in PD, either. At some point humanity should come into play and prevail over profit, at least after the executives have made a few million that year. But that just doesn't seem to happen.

I personally cannot wait until it's payback time, and that will happen as more and more folk take less and less rx drugs. This is already happening, most people do not want to be on medication forever as the pharmas would like! And there is hope, on Time's cover this month is a picture of a package of hamburger meat, and the caption: "The hidden cost of cheap food"...
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:31 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
While I understand companies have to make a profit in order to stay in business, I do firmly believe pharmas have not put as much into R&D as they could/should have with the result that we really have no new products to show for it. And not just in PD, either. At some point humanity should come into play and prevail over profit, at least after the executives have made a few million that year. But that just doesn't seem to happen.

I personally cannot wait until it's payback time, and that will happen as more and more folk take less and less rx drugs. This is already happening, most people do not want to be on medication forever as the pharmas would like! And there is hope, on Time's cover this month is a picture of a package of hamburger meat, and the caption: "The hidden cost of cheap food"...
Lurking

Thanks for pointing out that many of us do try alternatives. I think; however, that a large percentage of us may not be as assertive with our doctors or simply take what the pharmas offer us without ever questioning alternatives. I think this may happen in older patients with Parkinson's and is reflected in the reports that claim not much is going to change in treating advanced stages.

I guess I was trying to figure out from the site just who drives R&D in various disease treatments; the reports seemed rather conservative, so no wonder nothing ever really changes.

I made a big oops and forgot to link to the site I had visited. It is Piribo

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:16 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Sad, but true

It's a commin' ladies and gentlemen! Why can't these people see that withiin the next 5 years any meds for Parkinson's will be a blockbuster!

There are 80 million (NOT a typo) baby boomers turning age 60 - the average age of PD onset (PD is usually an age-related illness - the older you get, the less dopamine there is made, the receptors fizzle out, too. let's say half of those turning 60 willll be dx with PD - do the math - it's still a blockbuster - even "another agonist" might be welcomed, also. The other claimed 1.5 million with PD still have to manage this illness.

Jeez!

Maybe we aren't doing a very good job of spreading Parkinson's awareness. It will soon be more common than sliced bread.

meant to add about the pharma profit - it does seem to lead the supply and demand, but that is going to be changing, I'm sure.
peggy

Last edited by pegleg; 09-10-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: to add more
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote