Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 10:13 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default autism

I know it may seem that I am obsessed with autism but today my suspicion that autism and PD may be linked was confirmed by a nutritional consultant we met with, I'll post separately on that later. It was a three hour consultation and I am still trying to get my head around everything that was said!

At any rate, if there is such a connection, it would help explain why a lot of PDers seem to improve when removing gluten from the diet...here's one protocol that was successfully used for a little boy who was dx'd autistic and now, gluten free and detoxed, has a clean bill of health and the dx of autism is gone. Can anyone imagine? So awesome. (Have to add, I thought boys were four times more likely to have autism than girls, but nope...found out today that it is actually 98% more boys have autism/autistic neurological disorders than girls...horrifying for anyone who has a little boy, but more on that as well later).

Here's the link (the protocol used by the Harvard doc is near the end)(oh, and boy I bet big pharma is hating the press that these natural EFFECTIVE remedies are getting, note that the article says the psychotropic drugs are the fastest growing class of meds, just awful, perhaps cases like this can curb the rush to put little children on drugs for life):

http://www.examiner.com/x-8543-SF-He...other-diseases
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jccgf (09-13-2009)

advertisement
Old 09-10-2009, 09:48 AM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default I think you are on the mark

I have been convinced of such a link for a long time. Schizophrenia, too, I suspect although at the other end of the spectrum.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jccgf (09-13-2009)
Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default A Very Interesting Site

Some very interesting information is found in Elaine Gottschall's research regarding nutrition.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

Sunflower
sunflower4u is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jccgf (09-13-2009)
Old 09-12-2009, 09:17 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

But... PD like many neurological conditions is affected by many outside stressors. The person gets worried, stressed, ill, fatigued, and the overall environment can exacerbate the condition. Gluten maybe one of the many things that can contribute to the exacerbation of the underlying condition and not necessarily be the end-all solution when removed from the diet.

I have two nephews that are autistic. The older is the least affected where as his younger brother is the most. The youngest is on a gluten free diet due to other reasons and he's still off-the-wall. His older brother lives on Mac and Cheese, and you know how much garbage is in this stuff. So much for the study IMO.

With these two liittle boys, there are other stressors in their overall household. Their dad is a drunk and verbally abusive, and my sister is no saint either. If she were a cat her ears would be flat all the time.

Now these are only two examples in the big picture here that don't fit the study, but as I said there are many factors that can affect an individual to make things worse.

The gluten-free diet may work for some but not everyone.

John
---|||-- -|||---profile if
---|||-- -|||---you know
----\\\--///----someone
-----\\\///-----who is living with, survived
------///\-----or has passed away from
-----///\\\----Cancer..
----///--\\\---Thank you
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 01:43 PM #5
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default A rule of thumb?

As best I can tell from reading and my own experience is if the problems include your lower legs you should suspect a gluten link. That's not saying there are no others, just that that one is clearest.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:32 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Looking for help for my son

I have a son who is 29 years old. I have just discovered that he probably has high functioning autism. Amazing, but I've never known anything about autism other than seeing Rain Man years ago. My main concern right now is his health. He has chronic and severe constipation in spite of all his efforts: gluten-free, dairy-free, meat-free diet. In his desperation he started getting colonics, eating "strange" concoctions of juices and wasabe, raw food diet, taking senna, etc. Nothing seems to work except the colonics. He's miserable and depressed because of his physical problems (and the autism). Unfortunately, he doesn't have medical insurance because he works as a journeyman carpenter and they rarely have insurance unless they are in the union. I think he needs to get a colonoscopy to find out what's going on in his colon. I'm concerned about the depression also. Don't know where to start! He's also afraid to face the autism label. Can anyone help??
Thanks
Mumstheword is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:44 PM #7
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi Mumstheword and welcome

this thread discussing autism is on our PD forum,so here is the link to our autism forum as well for you
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum8.html

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:20 PM #8
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default before you go

It is a long shot, but in my unexpected bout with low potassium levels Idiscovered that it can cause paralysis of the GI tract. It made a big difference in my GI function that continues to this day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemar View Post
Hi Mumstheword and welcome

this thread discussing autism is on our PD forum,so here is the link to our autism forum as well for you
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum8.html
Old 09-13-2009, 03:18 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
(Have to add, I thought boys were four times more likely to have autism than girls, but nope...found out today that it is actually 98% more boys have autism/autistic neurological disorders than girls...horrifying for anyone who has a little boy, but more on that as well later).
Lurking,

Thanks for sharing this info...I'm a little on the fence with the idea of vaccines as the causal but use the info out there to make informed decisions for my young son (he's just shy of six months). Those stats do scare the heck out of me.

Interestingly, longitudinal studies from N. Europe show that despite the elimination of all mercury from vaccines there has been no significant decline in the diagnoses of autism. I wonder if a study focusing on both dietary changes and absence of mercury have been done?

John, I rarely say this, but I was LMAO at the description of your sister- what an image, and I hope you don't mind if I use that phrase?

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:45 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default don't limit concern to mercury!

"Interestingly, longitudinal studies from N. Europe show that despite the elimination of all mercury from vaccines there has been no significant decline in the diagnoses of autism. I wonder if a study focusing on both dietary changes and absence of mercury have been done?...."

Laura,

The concern I have over vaccines is not so much about thimerosol, or however you spell it, but the sheer number of vaccines, in such a short period of time, in such a tiny body, BEFORE the immune system is even developed, BEFORE the blood brain barrier is fully developed, and the fact that they combine many virii into one shot. How can a tiny, completely immature body take on 5, 7, 9 virii at the same time, directly directly into the body with no benefit of metabolism, and not have some deleterious effect(s)?

The nutritional consultant we met with just happens to have grandkids. I asked him directly if they were "current" on their vaccines per the CDC schedule and he said no way. He is not anti-vaccine, he said, but is very protective concerning vaccines. His grandkids are getting SELECT shots (e, not everything on the schedule, and what infant needs a vaccine against sexually transmitted diseases...? among others. You have to see what risk pool your child is in and make your decision). The shots his grandkids are getting contain one virus. The shots are spaced out over six months apart. And his grandkids are much older when they get the shot. Kinda sounds like the shots I got as a kid, when I was SIX! How times change, and look what that change has brought for these poor children and their families.

Just wanted to share that the mercury issue is not the only one to be really concerned about. You also have to remember that they (medical folk) are now telling parents that the vaccines do NOT give lifelong immunity, like my parent's generation was told and everyone I know believed. In fact, my 12 year old niece just got a chickpox "booster" since her childhood one "had probably lost its effect" my sister in law was told. If my kid is going to have to keep getting boosters every decade or so for life, I'd just as soon he/she get the stupid chickenpox and be done with it forever. One vaccine, the rotavirus, is useless IMHO, as kids can be vaccinated with this, and still get the virus again and again and again! This is just one example...how effective are these vaccines, really, and for how long? My research indicates that fully immunized people are just as likely to get a virus they were vaccinated for as a child as those who never got that vaccine.

Like I said, you have to do the research and then make your decision. I read Russell Blaylock's book on exitotoxicity, and several other books about vaccines, one of which detailed every ingredient in every childhood vaccine and an explanation on how they are made. Terrifying!

I would be sure I had tons of video footage of my normally-developing child to prove there were NO problems before he/she received a shot, just in case. Having said that, I think it's terrible we have to even think about stuff like this.

(Forgot to add: thimerosol is 50% mercury, which most people don't know...so big pharma can say the vaccine has no mercury, but it DOES contain thimerosol! And don't trust your doc to know if the vaccine has it, they usually have no clue (one of my friends was told by her doctor the vaccine was clear of all mercury AND thimerosol, and when the friend asked to see the box the vaccine came in, was horrified to see that it used thimerosol! Do the research and trust your gut!)
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote