Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 09-11-2009, 09:31 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default MAO B inhibition

http://www.ethiopianreview.com/health/3033

"...Although it remains a risk with all serotomimetic drugs, a new MAO-B inhibitor may not be causal through its highly selective action that does not interfere with serotonergic balance. This article aims to provide a historical overview of MAOIs, their benefit in Parkinson’s disease (PD) and the safety of new MAO-B inhibitors with antidepressants..."

good overview of rasagiline--though cannot help feeling this is a marketing media release.

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-11-2009, 11:52 AM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Post nice timing madelyn

neuro appt yesterday....

i was on nortriptylline many years ago and liked it for the relief it provided for neuropathy and that's why i took it - for the terrible weak feeling i get in the lower legs downward that, along with off, is when i am at my very lowest of lows physically and mentally - i hate this symptom! so i have to wrap my legs to walk, and only getting on helps.

i had to go off it when i asked for an antidepressant and went on prozac. as i said the nortriptylline was not for depression, but the prozac doesn't mix with it so i had to go off the nor..... it is not primarily an anti depressant i don't think but i'll look it up..it may indirectly help depression and i know stitcher takes it and says she feels much better. but it is primarily for nerve problems, like sciatica. i hope i'm not slaughtering the spelling too badly.

i haven't been on an anti-depressant for more than a year, maybe two. so i started Azilect. you are supposed to take 1 mg but that felt like too much med [last ekg showed , as doctor put it, a "little backwash" that we need to keep an eye on]. i do think i get chest pain from something and cut the azilect to 1/2 tab. I never noticed any difference in motor effects and did not reduce sinemet, but i feel pretty certain that i was mentally more alert, even on only half a tab.

so to the point..i asked about nortriptylline; it has been in the back of my mind since stitcher told me how much she felt better. but it conflicts with MAO B inhibitors .so my neuro suggested i go off the azilect and try aricept. if i do well she will then put me on nortriptylline for neuropathy.

going on aricept is like those new decade birthdays, like when you turn 40 or 50 or my next decade upcoming next year - 6o sh**.

going on aricept is full admission of memory and mild cognition problems.

i'm sure if i hadn't told you no one would have noticed this....cough

but is anyone else taking or tried aricept? it's the long way around to get to the neuropathy problem and one that wasn't expected. but then my word recall is definitely a problem

stitcher mind if i ask why you were prescribed the nortriptylline and could part of the reason you like it ibe because you feel better all over?

so anyway, you definitely have to watch rasagiline with antidepressants but it doesn't sound as bad as selegiline was.

paula
edited to add : nortriptylline is for chronic nerve pain....well there you have it! i love it aready and it will work because my patient expectations are positive and i believe in its therapeutic value. one way or [the placebo factor will only help at first and my optimism will block the nocebo response ]- i'm in there..pain killer...i really like the sound of that!

stitcher could this be evidence that we need more motor treatments to help our depresson? i think so...cheers

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."

Last edited by paula_w; 09-11-2009 at 12:36 PM.
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote