Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 08:15 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Help does sinemet help relieve tremor? advise please

Tremor and speech problem are my main complains. For about 6 months I took Kemadrine which helped innitially with tremor but its usefulness is wearing of recently.
My neurologist wants to start me on sinemet but I am reluctant because of fear from side effects and from what I read on this forum I got the idea that sinemet is not effective on tremor.
I am 66 old and was diagnosed 3 years ago.
what is your experience an advise?
imark3000 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-15-2009, 11:45 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imark3000 View Post
Tremor and speech problem are my main complains. For about 6 months I took Kemadrine which helped innitially with tremor but its usefulness is wearing of recently.
My neurologist wants to start me on sinemet but I am reluctant because of fear from side effects and from what I read on this forum I got the idea that sinemet is not effective on tremor.
I am 66 old and was diagnosed 3 years ago.
what is your experience an advise?
within the caveat, we are all unique in our med requirements, Sinemet works great for most of us. I used it for 10 years, and only in the last year did the peak dose dyskinesia become troublesome. When you need it, you need it. Sinemet works well on tremor.

Charlie
chasmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (09-15-2009)
Old 09-15-2009, 02:02 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Sinemet and tremor

Sinemet did not help my tremor until Amantadine was added, then Poof! The tremor was gone.
Ann
AnnT2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (09-15-2009)
Old 09-15-2009, 05:32 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Highly Variable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnT2 View Post
Sinemet did not help my tremor until Amantadine was added, then Poof! The tremor was gone.
Ann
Hi,

I just wanted to chime in and say that Sinemet was the turning point for me...I had been diagnosed with Essential Tremor six years prior to showing other clear signs of Parkinsonism.

Our responses to medication are extremely variable. We have such extreme differences because we don't all necessarily have the same exact disease. Research strongly suggests that we may have different causative factors that consequently impact varying areas of our brains and biochemical pathways based on how we "present" (tremor dominant vs. rigid-akinetic) with symptoms. In other words, PD is more likely a spectrum disorder.

I am tremor dominant and first noticed a tremor ten years ago. I tried Amantadine and it had no effect on my tremor. Upon diagnosis of PD last year, I went on Mirapex...helped a little. Sinemet was transformative for me; I could use my right hand again to knit, sew, use a mouse, you get the idea.

We have to be careful of side effects with any drug; especially neurotrophics. I take Sinemet CR 25/100 throughout the day and I have to take it more frequently than I would like but experience no nausea, vomiting, nothing. I can take it on an empty stomach, no problem.

It's frustrating, but truly meds for PD is largel about trial and error for each of us. WIth anything new, you need to start out slowly and on the smallest dose possible and monitor, record anything along the way to share with your neuro.

Best,

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (09-16-2009), rose of his heart (09-16-2009)
Old 09-16-2009, 07:39 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

In my case I have had PD for 10 years, Sinemet has not helped the tremor at all. I have tried almost all the drugs used with the Simemet to try help the tremor, Amantadine being among them. I started Kemadrine 8 months ago and innitially it slowed the tremor to a livable level but then just doesn't seem to be doing anything now. I will be talking to my MDS about it next appointment. That being said, when I take the Sinemet it is like night and day in the way I feel and move. I guess I can live with the tremor but it gets to be a pain in the a.. if you know what I mean.

GregD

Last edited by GregD; 09-16-2009 at 05:16 PM.
GregD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (09-17-2009)
Old 09-16-2009, 10:17 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

PD for 10 yrs plus and on Sinemet good part of that time....now using Sinemet, Mirapex and Amantadine and for the most part tremor is under control. Watch out for the stress factor, Sinemet does not work well for me when under stress. Good Luck

Doreen (Geoann)
Geoann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (09-17-2009)
Old 09-16-2009, 04:09 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default ditto AnnT

went 6 years post dx with no Sinemet; then Sinemet for one year - added Amantadine and the tremor is under control!

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (09-17-2009)
Old 09-18-2009, 04:21 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default It proves how much we are different : what I did

Thank you all for all your answers which helped me to make up my mind.
I went to see my neurologist in Amman who confirmed his opinion to start me on sinemet , phase out Kamadrin and replace it with Amantadine.
He told me that I will see a great difference with Sinemet.
For few days now I took 1/2 tablet of sinemet twice daily according to the neurologist instructions. But so far it has been my biggest disappointment as my tremor is just the same (tremor is about my only complain).
Now I will try Amantadine but I am frankly not hopeful .
I t seems that I am destined to live with tremor.
I will report again in few days

Imad

imark3000 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:48 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Give it a little more time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by imark3000 View Post
For few days now I took 1/2 tablet of sinemet twice daily according to the neurologist instructions. But so far it has been my biggest disappointment as my tremor is just the same (tremor is about my only complain).
Now I will try Amantadine but I am frankly not hopeful .
I t seems that I am destined to live with tremor.
I will report again in few days

Imad
Imad,

Please don't give in just yet. For some of us, response takes a little longer as meds build up in system.

It also strikes me that 1/2 tab is a very small dose. It is wise to start titrating slowly on a new drug, but I wonder if maybe you need a little more levodopa in your system. I started out on 25/100 Sinemet and have remained there but switched to the controlled release tablet. The only time I use 1/2 tab of regular Sinemet is to jumpstart the CR which takes a good 30 minutes sometimes to kick in.

I had read that Evening Primrose Oil can help alleviate PD tremor and given my trial of one week, I'd say it does help. I take this herbal supplement twice a day, and I have noticed that when I take my first SCR dose in the morning and the oil capsule, my tremor "disappears" sooner than without. That pesky tremor nearly always returns if I am late with a dosage, but with the Primrose oil, I'm not as shaky Maybe you could check with your doctor and pharmacist about adding this supplement on a trial basis?

Sending steady, still vibes your way,

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (09-19-2009)