15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Fox's entrepreneurial science approach

This may be what it takes.
Peggy

Fox drives Parkinson's research back to the future

New York — From Saturday's Globe and Mail

Excerpted:
. . . optimism has defined Mr. Fox since he first went public about his illness in
1998, and Canadians will get a dose of it this week when he comes to Toronto to celebrate the fact that the Michael J. Fox Foundation now has charitable status in Canada.

It is at the heart of his mission to find a cure for Parkinson's by reshaping the way research is done.
Many people remember Mr. Fox's very public battle with the Bush administration to permit research on stem cells (cells derived from human embryos that have the potential to turn into any kind of cell in the body). They may be surprised to learn that today his foundation, in the words of one board member, has reappraised how that research realistically relates to Parkinson's and is focusing on other areas.

But that's typical of the group's aggressive, entrepreneurial approach to science. Staffed with neuroscientists and people with business experience, the foundation has spent more than $149-million (U.S.) on research so far.

The foundation demands that scientists share results and tools, and it closely monitors their work. But it also encourages them to take risks, devoting roughly $2-million a year to a rapid-response fund that gets money quickly into the hands of scientists who come up with new ideas.

In less than six weeks, a scientist can have the seed money to test out a hypothesis and see if it is worth pursing. Most of the time, it doesn't pan out, which is why government funding agencies prefer to support research that will lead to steady but incremental advances.

“It will take a lot of time, but it's not time-neutral,” he says. “There is an urgency to what we are doing, and regardless of our developing understanding of the realities, we still aren't giving up the urgency.- Michael J. Fox
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
paula_w (09-18-2009)

advertisement
Old 09-19-2009, 08:29 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default full article found here...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1293534/

Debi
Debi Brooks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bandido1 (09-19-2009), paula_w (09-19-2009)
Old 09-19-2009, 10:46 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Oops!

Thanks, Debi. I meant to post the link.

Peg
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:20 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Posting as bob & ulli I bloviated in the comments section of the Fox article and also the side article about "not just tremors". ;I am not totally a fan of the MJF Foundation but they are by far the best we've got, that I know of.
Bob Dawson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:41 PM #5
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default bravo!

Nice comments Bob. I don't know anything about that publication but Mike, on the floor, disheveled, paralyzed, with not a gourmet meal on a deluxe table in front of him more than likely doesn't bear the idiotic posters any ill will. You either get it or you don't, and some will get it by getting the illness itself.

But it was nice to see a voice or two of reason - and his foundation is a place where business minds are putting the patients first ....i can only say I have it, I get it, thank you, and congratulations on winning an emmy being a challenged person who still.....has it. lol

Denis Leary is like me on sinemet..lol but he grows on you and the show is good. I have to cover my ears and eyes once in awhile but I had to do that in Inglorious Bastards too and absolutely loved it

paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:11 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

i am hoping Debi Brooks or some one else can clarify the statement that

"Many people remember Mr. Fox's very public battle with the Bush administration to permit research on stem cells (cells derived from human embryos that have the potential to turn into any kind of cell in the body). They may be surprised to learn that today his foundation, in the words of one board member, has reappraised how that research realistically relates to Parkinson's and is focusing on other areas."

Later on in the article it says that the MJFF is still funding stem cell research but now realizes how complex treatment for PD would be, and other areas may be more productive for PD, but not giving up on stem cells. The first quote, taken out of context could be interpreted otherwise.

Many of us have spent a good part of the last or 8 years advocating for funding of ESCR on both the federal and state levels. i would like to better understand where -- if anywhere --- the research is now headed.
Linda
LindaH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote