Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 01-04-2007, 04:25 PM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Heart my collective unconscious has a question?

according to C. G. Jung
Carl Gustav Jung -
...who expanded upon the Freudian concept, adding the idea of an inherited unconscious, known as the collective unconscious.
The idea of the unconscious has been rejected by some psychological schools, although it is still used by many psychoanalysts.

The term unconscious is also used to describe latent, or unretrieved, memories, or to describe stimuli too weak to enter an individual's conscious awareness.

I do remember much of my life -sometimes I draw an absolute blank.
although there are things I have done of which I wish I could completely erase...

QUESTION?
After having been on B12 -methycobalamine, I am remembering alot of
things I have not thought of for years...

I am now age 44, my vision is not so clear, I have astigmatism -makes everything wonderfully blurry.
I am wondering how much recall , is blocked or just by having this disease -
the brain melt down or apoptosis...has caused me to lose memory, or have I just lost neurotranmittors that have been severly damaged?

Blind people can walk, deaf can feel the vibrations of music, a human who is born deaf or mute, while not being able to use the language that most humans take for granted, still shows the presence of a consciousness and the ability to learn since they are able to learn something like sign language.

if we lose, in one area are we blessed in another?
perhaps we build different neuropathways?

I remember having the honor of meeting, Milly Kondrake...
She was completely frozen, except for her eyes, she spoke to us with her eyes - she was communicating with Dr.Chase with her eyes, if the brain is not able to communicate its thoughts through its voice then it would find another way. Milly did this.

Could body language then be seen as a form of communication and language as could your actions, which is why we say at times that actions speak louder than words?

What do you all think? Does having PD make us communicate
spiritually on a higher level?
The question then becomes that regardless of if the consciousness is evidenced by language or the body, how is it that thinking actually occurs in the brain?

how many of you have the sensation of mouth numbness?

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.

Last edited by lou_lou; 01-04-2007 at 04:30 PM.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-04-2007, 05:19 PM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Wow, LavenderLu, that's some unconscious...

...you've got there!

There's a strong argument to be made that our brain is just one of our "mind-centers" with others being located in the heart and GI system. Even our language speaks of "a feeling in my gut" and "I know in my heart."

There is also the school of thought that says the mind is not in the body at all but that the brain merely acts as a focusing device for it much like a radio focuses the unseen energies around us.

As for PD putting us on a higher plain, I do think it makes us wiser in that it forces us to confront our own mortality early on and makes us realize just what is important.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:29 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

WOW, Lav, so many questions, so little time and energy; and, what of "muscle-memory"?--familiar to both musicians and athletes, alike; and, doesn't a rock, or a cube of soil, contain the past?

These forums are for mutual support and the sharing information only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by qualified health care professionals. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read about here.
toyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:46 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

What a lot of things your post addresses - right now the memory issue is the one that stands out for me. I don't know whether it is PD or meds that give me a kind of mental 'flatness' - I only know that I am not as finely active as I used to be, more reactive..... this includes memory, I rarely reminisce when on my own but do remember when prompted - well I remember more distant things, near events sometimes take a lot longer to surface, and under pressure! This I believe contributes to the flatness, in that synthesising memories assists the imagination - I miss the more imaginitive creative peron I was. As an antidote I am starting to get more involved in creative art once more.

Posts at the other place over several years certainly attested to a spiritual thread that was shared on the forums, in fact there was also a spiritual discourse that was visible over time, that was enriching and welcome. I know I am more drawn to the spiritual side of things than ever before.

Something that I have noticed is that it becomes more and more difficult to initiate speech - something that feels both physical and cognitive at the same time.

I would like to believe that we think with our whole person, rather than just our brain - that the brain is both the clearing house and repository of our entire experience, but the sum of it all is so much more.....

I worked once with an adolescent quadriplegic girl called Katie - she had never been able to speak, and had only developed very slowly as her disability was so great, she had virtually no movement and had been thus from birth. She was however able to communicate through her mother, who brought her onto the percussion project where I met her. I was amazed over the weeks that I worked with her to find that there was a special intelligence there. The group eventually gave an amazing performance alongside a group of profoundly deaf dancers and a group of normal teenagers. Katie was able with her mothers help to use a tibetan bell, and kept remarkable time. I videoed the rehearsals, and later edited it down and each of this group of very learning disabled people received a copy. I can only say that when they watched their own performance there was a deeply spiritual response - Katie's look of pure joy is something I will treasure for the rest of my life. It was as if they had all seen themselves for the first time, and they were more than they knew of before. None of this group of people had more than the most basic recall, days and dates were not relevant to them, not one of them was even able to remember their own address or a telephone number, none were able to function in the world unaided, let alone dress of feed themselves. But that they understood love, caring, trust, devotion, on a deep level - I have no doubt at all.

Lindy
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 06:14 AM #5
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Heart 'ello!

dear reverett, toyL, and lindy,

I am so interested in your responses, wow!
there is an insight in your answers to the way you think that I enjoy!
anyone who wishes to answer - please do -
luv, lavenderlou

by
, on Flickr

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
"Thanks for this!" says:
toyL (02-13-2012)
Old 01-05-2007, 05:55 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Tenalouise, this isn't on point, but you got me thinking!

Ill or not, how we are using our brain is what’s important. What are we thinking about as we go through our day? Are they circular thoughts, observations, planning our activities or physical movements? Conversations with ourselves or with imaginary others?

How do we occupy our brain? As in, how do we keep it occupied, and how do we reside in our brains: comfortably? anxiously?

I noticed that I wasn’t happy with how I was using my brain recently. Much of my brain activity was planning and accomplishing trivial tasks, and applauding myself for my accuracy or cleverness, or my ability to overcome obstacles.

I started reading a novel. One told in first person, with humor. I realized today that I’ve been thinking differently. As if I’m writing my own novel being told in first person.

The good part about this is that I’m observing the outside world more and describing people, animals, nature, things, activities I see. With humor and some insight. It’s fun. I’m happier.

Last night, instead of watching tv, I turned on the digital tv music station with big band music, and read my novel.

I’m going to start writing again. I used to write daily, to a friend for over two years, a professional writer. I used to surprise myself with what I came up with, after staring at the blank screen for awhile. I miss it. I’ve been told I have great story sense, and I choose to believe it.

How do you occupy your brain?

~Zucchini
ZucchiniFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:11 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Tena:

Maybe you could break down that stream of conciousness post into about ten parts and we could take it apart one piece at a time. My memory is also getting worse ( a subjective evaluation) -maybe more appropriate to say: seems to be going through some fundamental changes. Maybe I put less attention into the things of this day, maybe my memory banks are all filled up, maybe I just need a Carribean Vacation, maybe I've inhaled too much second hand smoke. I prefer to think my brain is changing rather than dieing. I am not my brain, I believe the brain is just the connector between the physical and the spiritual -that place where the two exchange information. Sort of like the transporter on the Enterprise where Scotty had the power to break the physical down to finite particles and zap you through space until you were at that place where the intangable could become the tangable again.

I am an obsessive journaler. I actually can feel an anxiety attack building if I feel like I need to write and don't have a piece of paper or a pen. Writing is an outlet for me, a way to let off steam. I understand people when they say they have to write. I look back on a lot of it and wonder what was so important it had to be noted. Lots of loose ends and trivia. We are peculiar beings. One of my favorite movies is Rainman with Dustin Hoffman. Another is Gilbert Grape with Leonardo DeCaprio. Both with characters outside the realm of "normal" yet we can relate to them. Why is that? Possibly because we are not really all that different from them.

I have gotten back to drawing in the last few years. I ask myself now, why did you ever stop drawing? But I know my drawing is very different than it used to be. There is definitely a change in my perception and my ability to put it on paper. Unfortunatley I destroyed 99% of my work before this recent bout took hold of my spirit. I can't compare, but I know something has made me much better than I used to be. I "know" things better. But I can't explain it. Parkinson's is like a big frustration to me. There is no pain, just the constant presence of it in my life. The huge blocks of time wasted when I can't do much (anything). I must stop an be an observer only. Maybe that's the key to it all. I'm learning to sit by the sidelines and watch and wait.

Well that's enough rambling for this session. I'm begining to bore myself ....so your probably in a sound sleep by now if you made it this far. What was the question again?
rosebud is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:04 PM #8
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default mind as hologram

http://www.rense.com/general69/holo.htm

keep in mind as you read this that this is what some of the finest scientific minds of our time have concluded. as einstein said, "the universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we CAN imagine."
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:08 AM #9
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Memory

Hi Tenalouise,
Your comment,

"After having been on B12 -methycobalamine, I am remembering alot of things I have not thought of for years..."

reminded me of something (non PD) that I havre been interested in for years, and that is memory recall under hynosis.
There has been many occasions where people under hypnosis can remember even a previous life. I know it sounds far fetched, but there are too many examples (where there is no way they could have found out the information beforehand) for it to be a hoax of some sort. There are examples of people walking into an old building, and are able to describe the layout etc before they enter the room they are about to enter. There have been examples of people being able to speak in a language they they have never learned in their lifetime. Others have been able to do other things never attempted in their lifetime, such as a complicated Irish Dance. A search
of "Past Life Regresion", on Google gives 1.3 million references.
My idea is you can inherit many things from your parents and ancestors, from the colour of your eyes to your personality. Why not therefore inherit a slice of their memory, (like a computer being connected to an old hard disc), which normally is not remembered, but can be accessed in hypnosis. Police sometimes use hypnosis to help a witness remember facts about a crime they saw committed, but have "deleted" it from their memory, since it was very unpleasant.
Can this be the way that people can regress under hynosis, and actually access memories from beyond their birth??
Who knows what we are hiding in our subconcious!!!!
I am not saying I am a true believer in Past Life Regression, just that I find it very interesting and seek an answer how some of the well documented examples can be explained.
Ron
Ronhutton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:57 PM #10
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Heart dear brilliant people!

dear Zucchini,
I like the way you think!

dear Rosebud,
my favorite poet Emily dickinson, wrote on every little scrap of paper she could grab!

dear reverett,
I really love reading about Einstein!

dear RonHutton,
you are very intelligent -

you are all brilliant people, and they think we have a brain disease,
maybe -just maybe?
it was a gift -
not a gift I would choose for us...

but we are gifted...

PS.
Einstein's brain was 15 percent bigger in one area then most people...
he left his brain to science, and after science cut it up, and put it in a big
"Pickle Jar" -they didn't do anything else with it for years -now that is pretty
dumb...

What happened to Einsteins brain -
http://www.scienceshorts.com/030212.htm
this one is for kids - I read it first!
http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/ein.html

by
, on Flickr

Last edited by lou_lou; 01-06-2007 at 11:02 PM.