Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 10:25 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default J&J acquisition

This acquisition holds significance to me because of all the products listed in the pipeline-I had no idea. Check them out, some in phase 2 and 3 already. Granted, many are for Alz., but I am reading more and more about the relationship between neuro problems and what helps one disorder may well help another.

Additionally, this transaction (and underlying research/products in the pipeline) further support what seems to be an increasingly prevalent theory that neuro disorders have an immune component (if not actual cause). Here's the link:

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...17-707384.html
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
paula_w (09-20-2009), Sasha (09-20-2009)

advertisement
Old 09-20-2009, 02:48 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks! [QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
This acquisition holds significance to me because of all the products listed in the pipeline-I had no idea. Check them out, some in phase 2 and 3 already. Granted, many are for Alz., but I am reading more and more about the relationship between neuro problems and what helps one disorder may well help another.
It is good news. Both Elan andd J&J have interest in immune therapies and PD and I glad to see that they are teaming up. Just a little more info on this subject.....

Elan had a collaboration with a scientist at UCSD a while ago to develop a vaccine for PD. ref: neuron, 46, 857-868 2005
However, there is not any follow up work published till today. I asked the PI about it in a conference and posted the same question on PDonline. No responses what so ever! In the light of new papers that deal with neuro immunology of PD, I am not really surprised that their silence. Hopefully they move in the right direction.

J&J in the past invested a lot in immune therapies with Scripps in LaJolla as their partner. Scripps is one the best in immunology research and they just recruited scientists for PD program ..........

Now wait and hope for the best!

Quote:
Additionally, this transaction (and underlying research/products in the pipeline) further support what seems to be an increasingly prevalent theory that neuro disorders have an immune component (if not actual cause). Here
's the link:

Finally! I firmly believe immune component contributes to the progression phase of PD, and there is a lot of literature to support it. Still it looks like the mainstream PD researchers are not too enthusiastic about this! This topic received luke warm response on PDonline! If only I can get my grant funded, I would be so delighted and test these hypotheses!

girija
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:13 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Aricept

Think i posted somewhere that in a roundabout way, i want to try notriptylline and had to drop azilect to do so. i thought azilect made me more alert, my neuro said try aricept and then we'll add nortriptylline for nerve pain and peripheral neuropathy - exteme weakness in lower legs
Well I've had the worst week of my life - am calling immediately tomorrow morning and asking to drop the aricept and get on nortriptylline. if that doesn't work, then I found out the real hard way that azilect is good stuff. i am so weak when off and my heart races - it's a nightmare.

live and learn, aricept also causes me to eat even less.

anyone know anything about these meds or combinations thereof? i have spent the week on the floor - weak and basically in tears.

it will be changed tomorrow...a.m. only sleep every other night.

The purpose of all this will someday be mde known. I'm sure it's quite complicated.

any with similar experience?

my memory isn't that bad. just use a few more what's his name? oh what was that called? ok so what's his name is my brother but priorities!

paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote