Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 09-28-2009, 11:37 PM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Cheeto, our Papillion Puppy Mill Rescue

This is a little presentation we did for an open mike session for a Senator and a Representative for our State. I knew others would have tales of horrible physical abuse, so I decided to try to explain what a caring, remarkably loving dog our Cheeto is-to show how emotionally devastating it must have been for him to spend 7 long years in a cage without a name or a home or a family.

Cheeto: A Papillion with a Party in his Tail
Our Papillion is a rescue from a puppy mill. At 7 years old, he had become useless to them and was surrendered to Hearts United for Animals (hua.org). We went to HUA on Labor Day, 2008, to adopt a female Maltese and came home instead with Etienne. On the way home, he was so tired but would force his eyes open to watch every truck or car that passed us. His eyes had an empty look, but there was something about the way he moved that seemed like there was a joyful spirit waiting to come out. So we optimistically gave him a spunky, cheerful name; “Cheeto”.
The first month was a learning experience for all of us. Cheeto had to learn how to wear a collar and a leash, how to potty on grass, to not be scared of everyday noises such as cars going by, microwaves dinging and the sound from computers and TV’s. His initial reaction to any new thing that came into his environment was extreme fear and growling & attempting to bite. But he has slowly, over the course of a year, become very acclimated to having a home, a family, and everything else that a dog deserves-including his choice of soft beds.
Cheeto is continuing to evolve. Even during this past month, 1 year after he came home, he has learned so many new things that it is amazing to watch. He has recently decided that one of his jobs is to watch over the other dogs, barking at us when he thinks it is time to potty them. Probably the most endearing thing he does is host a party every day. He will get into the party spot in our house and wag his tail vigorously and bark until Mommy, Daddy, Gateway, and Tucker are all into place ready to party. He then watches the dogs play with their toys and goes back and forth from Mommy to Daddy, pushing his head into us and reaching out his paw to touch us over and over; his tail going the whole time. If we try to cut the party short, he follows and “herds” us back to the group. After 10-20 minutes, he finds a soft spot to lie, looking very contented and pleased with himself for hosting another successful party.
If our wishes could come true, Cheeto would not have had to endure years of painful abscesses and rotten teeth, or spend years of having a loving heart with no one to share it with. Our biggest wish would be that no other dog would have to be mistreated like he was, especially by people who would consider themselves “dog lovers”. And one last wish would be that Iowa would not be the third leading state of practices that cause thousands of dogs to live miserable lives. Iowa is better than that, surely.
~~~~~hua.org~~~~~
Hearts United for Animals
has lots of "magic pain pills"
just waiting to be adopted!
GmaSue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (09-29-2009), braingonebad (09-30-2009), Doody (10-18-2009), doxiemama (10-29-2009), ewizabeth (09-29-2009), Hockey (09-29-2009), pearl girl (10-02-2009)

advertisement
Old 09-29-2009, 06:53 AM #2
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Good job!

And all that suffering is completely unnecessary. The puppy mills could be put out of business overnight if pet stores and other middlemen lost the right to sell dogs. Who would buy a dog directly from a puppymill?

In Canada our animal cruelty laws are a disgrace. Sickos can do the most horrendous things to their "pets" without fear of punishment. Even people who don't like animals should see the wider social benefit of dealing seriously with these crimes - every serial killer starts out harming animals. While most animal abusers don't go that far, it's a sure bet that life isn't too sweet for their spouses and kids.

(Am I the only one who thinks we may be spaying and neutering the wrong species?)

Thanks Sue for lending your voice to advocate for these wonderful creatures.

May I be half the person my dogs think I am.
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GmaSue (09-29-2009)
Old 09-29-2009, 10:36 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

What a great story. Guaranteed to move people...

Good job!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GmaSue (09-29-2009), Hockey (09-29-2009)
Old 09-29-2009, 12:58 PM #4
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

Aw, what a great story. Cheeto sounds so awesome, and you are too.

Turn Left at the next election.

RRMS DX 01/28/03 Started Copaxone again on 12/09/09
ewizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GmaSue (10-02-2009), Hockey (09-29-2009)
Old 09-30-2009, 08:25 AM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Big big hugs for Cheeto!

This post got me all choked up. I too adopted a papillon, an adult male. They have more heart in those tiny little bodies then people would ever know.

My little guy was beaten and dropped at a kill shelter. The rescue agency found him and took him -24 hrs before he would have been put down.

He was so crazy cute, who would do that? You could have opened the door and let him run away, and the first person who saw him would have kept him!

First time we met, he came over and covered me in doggy kisses. He didn't know me from Adam, but he was willing to trust another human, after everything he'd been through.

It took a while, but he finally *got* that when we picked anything up, it was NOT to hit him with it.

He's the sweetest, love -y - est boy ever, mommy's little shadow.

I gave him a new name too. He WAS Patches. I said, that's a name you give something you throw away, rags, trash, things that need to be patched up. A new life, a new family, a new name. Rudy, because you have Rudolph Valentino's eyes.

He was 2 yr old or so, but in minutes he knew his name.

I'm sorry little Cheeto had such a horrible start in this world, but glad he has a second chance. I think God watches over these little sweethearts, and saves a special place for them.
ewizabeth (09-30-2009), GmaSue (09-30-2009), Hockey (09-30-2009), mrsD (09-30-2009)
Old 10-02-2009, 06:38 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart A Tale/Tail of Sorrow and Joy

GmaSue,
What an emotional story... I read it with tears in my eyes; tears of sadness and then joy. I wish more people had your heart...
pearl girl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
GmaSue (10-02-2009), Hockey (10-03-2009)