Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 08:13 AM #1
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Default Virus Protection

My computer keeps telling me that my McAfee virus protection has expired and I need to renew it.

I had a 1-year free subscription through AOL. I no longer use AOL. I use Firefox Mozilla now and they appear to have their own virus protection built in (for free).

My question is this......do I need to renew my McAfee protection or is the Firefox protection good enough? I tried to google search it but never really found the answer to my question. It appears that I'm protected through Firefox but I do online banking so I want to be certain (and fully protected).
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-01-2009, 12:10 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Was the McAfee the only security you had?

Was it a downloaded program installed on your computer or just came with the AOL service?
If it is installed on your computer but expired now - i would uninstall/remove it before adding any new security software.
then do a reboot and go from there.

Firefox does have increased security for the internet, but it doesn't protect your whole computer. You really need more than this.

I would download and install a new security program - I like the internet suites - covers all the bases. I'm partial to Zone Alarm Internet security.

Most have trial downloads - so you can see how it works on your system and if you are comfortable with the layout, use , features etc.

Here's some ratings/reviews on the top players -
http://internet-security-suite-revie...enreviews.com/

here's a old thread with links and info-
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...urity+software

Oh here's a free suite - this program was the top rated free firewall and now it has merged to have internet security also and still free - I would give it a try-
[Comodo has merged its antivirus program with Firewall Pro, creating a free security program that aims to be more to more people. Although this may frustrate some users who want only one program or the other, the installer does let you opt out of either of the components. Users are also asked to install the Comodo SafeSearch and Ask.com toolbars, so be careful if you tend to install on autopilot. CIS requires a reboot.]
{you don't really need the Ask toolbars uncheck that box when istalling}

http://download.cnet.com/Comodo-Inte...html?tag=mncol

and a list of more free -
http://download.cnet.com/windows/ant...torsRating+asc
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (10-01-2009)
Old 10-01-2009, 12:39 PM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Thanks, Jo! I downloaded this one: http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Vi...-10320142.html. It was recommended to me by a friend I trust. I did uninstall the McAffe program before I installed it.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (10-01-2009)
Old 10-01-2009, 01:23 PM #4
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

It doesn't have a firewall or some other things that the Comodo has.

You do have youre windows firewall but most say it is not the greatest...

here's some info-
http://free.avg.com/download-avg-ant...s-free-edition
there;s a chart on the page showing what is not included on the free vs the paid AVG

[What you don't get with AVG 8.5 Free

* Protection against identity theft, hacker attacks, infected downloads, infected instant-messaging and spam
* Protection for business computers, networks, and servers
* Support from AVG technicians (although user-to-user support is available at]

"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (10-02-2009)
Old 10-01-2009, 06:16 PM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I use Firefox and McAfee Kitty.

I renewed mine when the trial period expired, and although I've tried other anti-virus programs, this one suits me the best.

I did use AVG for a while but it let through so many Trojan Horses and so much spyware, that I changed to Avast which is another free AV program.

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Even that wasn't perfect, (I still got the occassional Trojan) but it was better than AVG.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (10-02-2009)
Old 10-02-2009, 07:13 AM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

Our Avast has been very good. It tends to have false positives sometimes, and has a very loud siren, which can startle you if you are sensitive (like me).

We use other programs for nuisance things. Spybot and Adware, and rely on the Microsoft firewall. We tried Zone alarm again, (we used to have it) on our laptop when it was new, and it was a total mess. Mozilla Firefox has been good at blocking junk including popups. Once a year I do a Trend Micro Housecall scan, and it found a minor trojan one time in 3 yrs. But then we are not major downloaders, or gamers on the net. And that may make a difference.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (10-02-2009)
Old 10-02-2009, 11:28 AM #7
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

mrsD,
is there a way to turn off the sounds and only have a pop up show in the corner?

I tried Avast free and don't recall a siren or any sound.

I prefer just a pop up & no sounds myself.

Oh!!-
maybe it is because I have my Windows sounds turned off in the control panel- you can turn your off and it just stops all the beeps and windows chimes and such.. your speakers wile still work fine for videos & music etc.

If you want try it-
settings -control panel -- Sounds and Audio devices - on the Sounds tab - sounds scheme drop down - select No sounds
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (10-02-2009), mrsD (10-02-2009)
Old 10-02-2009, 12:07 PM #8
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Red face

When that GreenV thing went off at 2am, I almost had a heart attack! It wasn't as bad on the laptop, which hubby keeps low volume, but down here with my fancy speakers...that would be another issue--Klipsch THX!

The sound precedes the pop up window. I'll think about the control panel...that's good to know.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (10-02-2009)
Old 10-02-2009, 02:35 PM #9
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I hate it when my son turns the volume up on the PC and then forgets to turn it back down. I have such a bad startle reflex that I nearly fall out of the chair!

Well, I caved and bought McAfee yesterday and downloaded it. I do all my banking online and just didn't feel safe without the additional protection it offers. It was only $40 for a year of protection so it was worth it.

I did have to call Customer Service while I was downloading it because of a snag and, of course, got the friendly "I hardly speak English but I can help you" gal who spoke 100 mph! We finally got it all worked out but I was exhausted by the time I got off the phone. All that straining to understand her and feeling bad for having to ask her to repeat things two and three times. Hopefully I'm okay for the next year!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (10-02-2009), Koala77 (10-02-2009)