Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 09:07 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Neck (nerve) pain from walking? (ACDF 4 years ago)

Hello;

Anybody ever experience an exacerbation of neck pain symptoms just from going on a walk?

I had an ACDF surgery 4.5 years ago (C5-C6) and have done fairly well over the years. I've had some pain come and go, but on the whole done OK. But the last 3 or so months my pain has come back like it was before the surgery (pain in the right scapula area, and tightness/pain up from there into the neck, and even causing a headache at times). I can go several days without experiencing pain, then have a few days with really bothersome pain.

I continue to take my Zanaflex at night, and have recently started taking Skelaxin 800 as needed during the day. The Zanaflex helps at night, but the jury is still out on the Skelaxin (I've only taken it 3 times).

Anyway, I've noticed when I try and get some exercise by walking for 30 to 45 minutes at night, I seem to pay for it for a few days immediately following.

Why? Do others get this as well? I think my MRI is pretty clean (but haven't had the neurologist look at it yet... I'm able to get it scanned free because I happen to repair them for a living and need to check out the system sometimes on a person, so get the techs to scan my neck if needed). I guess I'll need to get it checked for sure. But, again, what would make walking cause a problem in the neck?

Only thing I can think of is I must be leaning forward too much or walking in a strange manner somehow. But I've also noticed it even when standing for a while (maybe bad posture?). Anybody else post-ACDF have this problem?

Thanks!
Kevin
disjointed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-02-2009, 09:52 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

You might look into posture and awareness - couldn't hurt...
maybe look into Alexander techniques- books - videos etc.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?...&hl=en&tab=wv#

The forward head posture is pretty common and will aggravate any neck & upper back problems.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:19 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks... I just looked at a little bit about it (although not in depth) and it seems interesting. I know posture can make a difference.

I know I've had issues with my lower back when I sit up straighter and try to correct my posture (leaning back brings the pain at L5 and S1 due to stenosis and small herniations). In physical therapy (for my lower back) they helped some with my posture but again it tended to aggravate the pain when doing it correctly (for some reason).

I'll have to check it out for my neck a little more and see if it would help. The little bit I looked at it (the Alexander Technique) seem to be centered on back pain (nothing mentioned about neck pain), but because it tries to correct the whole-body alignment I would assume it would likewise be good for the neck.

I'll check it out more...
disjointed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:46 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Neck pain from walking

Posture is definitely a factor. It is so difficult to obtain and maintain what they say is the correct posture.
Feet also play a role. Any problems there will affect your posture as your body compensates.
I found that my chronic head and neck aches are caused by my back muscles being in a mess, knotted, contracted and very angry.
Remedial massage over 4-5 months has shown me that the neck muscles get drawn down and made tight and sore by the contracting trapezius muscle, plus a few others.
So, I'd suggest that you have muscle problems in your back (who doesn't) that are aggravated by walking, leading to the neck pain.
See a remedial or sports masseuse. Expect to have several treatments to gradually tease the muscles out.

Peter B is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:40 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had some foraminal narrowing about 2 years after my ACDF. I eventually had a posterior foraminotomy at C5 and C6 to relieve the nerve impingement.
L5-S1 PLIF 5/1987
Multiple knee surgeries '82 to present
kross426 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:14 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Alexander Technique and neck pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disjointed View Post
Hello;

Anybody ever experience an exacerbation of neck pain symptoms just from going on a walk?

I had an ACDF surgery 4.5 years ago (C5-C6) and have done fairly well over the years. I've had some pain come and go, but on the whole done OK. But the last 3 or so months my pain has come back like it was before the surgery (pain in the right scapula area, and tightness/pain up from there into the neck, and even causing a headache at times). I can go several days without experiencing pain, then have a few days with really bothersome pain.

I continue to take my Zanaflex at night, and have recently started taking Skelaxin 800 as needed during the day. The Zanaflex helps at night, but the jury is still out on the Skelaxin (I've only taken it 3 times).

Anyway, I've noticed when I try and get some exercise by walking for 30 to 45 minutes at night, I seem to pay for it for a few days immediately following.

Why? Do others get this as well? I think my MRI is pretty clean (but haven't had the neurologist look at it yet... I'm able to get it scanned free because I happen to repair them for a living and need to check out the system sometimes on a person, so get the techs to scan my neck if needed). I guess I'll need to get it checked for sure. But, again, what would make walking cause a problem in the neck?

Only thing I can think of is I must be leaning forward too much or walking in a strange manner somehow. But I've also noticed it even when standing for a while (maybe bad posture?). Anybody else post-ACDF have this problem?

Thanks!
Kevin
Hi Kevin,
Yes, my neck pain got significantly worse when I walked. With me, it was because of my posture, and even if I walked 'gently' there was still a little compression of my cervical spine. Nothing helped, until I took an Alexander Technique lesson. It gave me control, and I felt empowered. After practicing it for a few months, I cancelled the operation I was going to have. I'm still pain free 15 years later, and now I teach the Alexander Technique**. I help people with neck pain, back pain, posture and many other musculoskelatal issues. It works. It's very logical. We tense our necks, compressing our whole spine. The Alexander Technique teaches us how to stop the unnecessary tension.
Good luck!

Mark Josefsberg
markjaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:21 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

One thing you might try is putting on a soft cervical collar when it starts to give you trouble. That has relieved my headaches (from the cervical problem) plus it will keep the neck straight and help with the neck pain.

I've got a herniation at C3-4 and the collar helps alot. Just a thought. Best of luck! Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote