Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 04:58 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy My Smokey

Hi everyone,
I didn't know about this thread until Koala 77 told me about it. We lost our beloved Smokey yesterday morning. I can't remember a time when he wasn't around. On a rainy day like today---he would be in the house. He didnt like storms at all. He was a big baby when it came to them, if he was outside--he would come to the door & say "let me in"!! He was the best friend that a person could ever ask for or want. I cant tell you how deeply sad we are around here today. He was a rescue from Virgina Beach years ago---but he always felt like he was "our" from when he got here. We just feel so out of our normal routine that I dont know what to do. What do you do when you loose your "best friend"?
This isnt the first baby that we have lost---it just hurts so bad. Even the rest of the crew doesnt know what to do. Grumpy lost his brother a little over a month ago--so him & Smokey would "hang" out together. Grumpy is young & Smokey was old but I think that Smokey enjoyed having a younger one around---it made him feel young again. I really just dont know what to do---I keep looking for him to open the door for him to come in. Its just really hard today---yesterday was unbearable. Having to bury him---but we put him in one of his favorite spots---it just doesnt seem right that hes not here. I would really appreciate anyone that can give me some kind of guidance to what to do, because I just feel lost. Thank you.
Janet
tiredofpain07 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (10-21-2009)

advertisement
Old 10-12-2009, 10:27 PM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I'm so sorry for the loss of your Smokey.

I had a Smokey too. He was a big Newfoundland. I had him for almost 17 years. We grew up together. I got him when I was 21 and he was 1, and he died when I was 37 and he was 17.

There's days I still think I see him in his corner, or I hear him ringing the hanging bell on the doorknob to signal OUT! It took a long time to stop grieving, and sometimes I still get sad, but I think he's letting me know he's still with me each time I catch him out of the corner of my eye or hear that bell.

It's ok to feel lost and to grieve. It just happened and you cannot expect it to pass so soon. Only time makes it better. Enjoy the memories that you have, and when you heal, maybe there will be room for another in your heart and your home.

I have this mental picture in my mind of you all, shaking bones and bells and charms, muttering prayers and voodoo curses, dancing around in a circle of salt, with leetle glasses and tiny bottles of cheer in the middle...myyyyyy friends!

diagnosed 09/03/2004
scheduled to start Tysabri 03/05
Tysabri withdrawn from market 02/28/05
Copaxone 05/05-12/06
Tysabri returned to market 06/05/06
Found a new neuro 04/07
Tysabri 05/25/07-present
Medical Marijuana legally 12/03/09

Negative for JC virus antibodies!

I'm doing alright and making good grades,
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!
Riverwild is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (10-13-2009), tamiloo (10-21-2009), tiredofpain07 (10-13-2009), Twinkletoes (10-12-2009)
Old 10-13-2009, 01:07 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I am sorry you lost your beloved pet and friend.

The grief does hurt. I don't know of a way to ease this for you.
I think the extent of grief is a marker for how much love was there. So feeling the grief reflects your capacity to love, IMO.

I just cry alot when we lose a pet.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (10-13-2009), tamiloo (10-21-2009), tiredofpain07 (10-13-2009)
Old 10-13-2009, 07:56 AM #4
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

So sorry to hear of your friend's passing...it is amazing how much our pets' passing hurts...
but they are a part of our lives, and they offer so much affection and companionship.
I hope in time that your pain lessens and you can smile when you think about your Smokey...
tamiloo (10-21-2009), tiredofpain07 (10-13-2009)
Old 10-13-2009, 06:52 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Hi Riverwild,
I want to thank you for your kind words---they really mean alot. Smokey was our best friend, he was always there to greet you & always wanted to know what was in the bag, especially if he thought that it was something for him.

He never took the bag---he just had trouble being patient for us to say whether or not it was for him.
It just seems so strange around here. I know that its only been 2 days, but it just doesnt seem right. It rained this morning & he always wanted in. I still cant believe that hes not here anymore. Ive cried so much that it hurts.
Thanks again---I really appreciate your being so kind.
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwild
I'm so sorry for the loss of your Smokey.

I had a Smokey too. He was a big Newfoundland. I had him for almost 17 years. We grew up together. I got him when I was 21 and he was 1, and he died when I was 37 and he was 17.

There's days I still think I see him in his corner, or I hear him ringing the hanging bell on the doorknob to signal OUT! It took a long time to stop grieving, and sometimes I still get sad, but I think he's letting me know he's still with me each time I catch him out of the corner of my eye or hear that bell.

It's ok to feel lost and to grieve. It just happened and you cannot expect it to pass so soon. Only time makes it better. Enjoy the memories that you have, and when you heal, maybe there will be room for another in your heart and your home.
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (10-21-2009)
Old 10-13-2009, 06:55 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Hi Mrs.D,
All Ive done is cry---I just cant help it. Like I said before I dont remember a time when he wasnt here. It just seems so lonely without him. Thank you for your kind words---they really mean alot.
Janet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD
I am sorry you lost your beloved pet and friend.

The grief does hurt. I don't know of a way to ease this for you.
I think the extent of grief is a marker for how much love was there. So feeling the grief reflects your capacity to love, IMO.

I just cry alot when we lose a pet.
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (10-21-2009)
Old 10-13-2009, 07:00 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Hi Debbie,
They truly are a part of your family & I know that alot of people ( some family members) would say----its only a dog & get over it. There is no way that I can do that, he was a big part of our family for a long time & I cant for their sakes pretend that he didnt exist. I dont know why some people think that animals are stupid or that they dont matter---because they arent stupid & they do matter.
They are the only ones that show you "unconditional love" all the time. He was so special that words cant even come close to describing how special he was. Thank you so much for your kind words---they mean alot.
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie D
So sorry to hear of your friend's passing...it is amazing how much our pets' passing hurts...
but they are a part of our lives, and they offer so much affection and companionship.
I hope in time that your pain lessens and you can smile when you think about your Smokey...
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (10-21-2009)
Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Janet,

I am very sorry your Smokey has crossed the Rainbow Bridge. How wonderful you opened your heart and home to a 'rescue'. I was raised in family that found all our very best compaions from rescue.

When I was young and experienced my first loss, my Dad explained that it was important to remember the memories and to smile. Eventually the happy memories would chase away the tears and pain. And then, it would be time to gift our hearts and home to another companion in memory of our last wonderful companion.

Everyone's circumstances are different - and everyone grieves differently. The tears will end with time; but luckily, the happy memories will last forever.

Sue
suev is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (10-21-2009), tiredofpain07 (10-14-2009)
Old 10-14-2009, 02:32 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Janet,

thinking of you at this time, its always so hard losing a loved one!!!

My gorgeous dog Ned has been gone over a year and a half, and I still find myself crying sometimes when I find a hair, or read something I've written about him.
I think its just a matter of grieving and remembering the good times.
You are right animals arn't stupid and they do matter. My dear boy helped me so much he was always ready with a smile or a tail wag, or to snuggle up next to me when I needed comfort. They truly take up a space in your heart that can never truly be mended I think, just slightly filled when the next one comes along.
My boy is gone but not forgotten.
I hope the days slowly get better for you,
take care
Kate

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx
redtail is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (10-21-2009), tiredofpain07 (10-14-2009)
Old 10-14-2009, 06:35 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Suev,
Not alot of people know about the Rainbow Bridge, so when you spoke of it----it told me that you have loved your "babies" also. When we got Smokey---he already had arthritis & I was the only one that could even get close to him because he had been abused. After awhile he warmed up to hubby---then they were the best of buddies. You could see them walking together, side by side. He absolutely LOVED to go swimming. The minute you would say "swim" or "the creek"---he couldnt get to the car "fast" enough. He "loved" the snow & would play with his water bottle that had a little bit of ice in it. He was a "big" baby about 200 pounds---but he hated storms. I think that whoever had him before us---used that as a "punishment" for when he did something wrong---in their eyes of course.
He absolutely loved to "scratch" his butt under a hemlock tree that we have---which made his thick fur just stick together. He also loved to be brushed---he would lift his front paws so we could "reach" better. I know that we will have some great great memories of him & I know that hes not hurting anymore---but its just so lonely around here.
We have other babies, but Smokey was one of a kind---having our other ones helps some---but Smokey & Grumpy are the only ones that dont think that the cats are chewy toys. Grumpy just doesnt know what to do these days. He just lost his brother "tater" & now Smokey---he looks so lonesome. He (grumpy) isnt one for the normal toys---balls or stuff like that---he would play with them & now he just doesnt know what to do. Smokey was a wise old man & he is missed in so many ways. Thank you for your kind words---I truly appreciate them more than you know.
When I can figure out how to add pictures I will be able to show you my loveable Smokey. Thank you again for your words.
Janet

Quote:
Originally Posted by suev
Janet,

I am very sorry your Smokey has crossed the Rainbow Bridge. How wonderful you opened your heart and home to a 'rescue'. I was raised in family that found all our very best compaions from rescue.

When I was young and experienced my first loss, my Dad explained that it was important to remember the memories and to smile. Eventually the happy memories would chase away the tears and pain. And then, it would be time to gift our hearts and home to another companion in memory of our last wonderful companion.

Everyone's circumstances are different - and everyone grieves differently. The tears will end with time; but luckily, the happy memories will last forever.

Sue
"Thanks for this!" says:
suev (10-14-2009), tamiloo (10-21-2009)