advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 09:33 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Self employed and SSDI

I was self-employed for 2 years and some of my taxes did not get paid. I have always worked until August, last year. My taxes weren't paid, so they say I do not qualify for SSDI, 4 credits short. I am wondering if I win my SSI case, can I take the "settlement" money, pay for the taxes to get my 4 credits and then be already able to simply switch to SSDI. You receive more money each month and your children also receive half of your check amount each month. This would be much more than simply SSI, welfare for disabled. Are you automatically considered disabled under SSDI if youwin your SSI case?

If so, I would simply pay the taxes to "earn" the 4 lacking credits and get SSDI instead of the lesser paying SSI.

Thanks in advance!
lilredridinghood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

if you owe the taxes for work you actually did, why cant you just reopen those tax years and pay the taxes that you owe?
echoes long ago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:02 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes long ago View Post
if you owe the taxes for work you actually did, why cant you just reopen those tax years and pay the taxes that you owe?
That is what I am hoping is possible. I am totally broke, but if I am approved for SSI and get a settlement, I can afford to pay enough of the taxes to "earn" my 4 lacking credits. I'm not sure if I would automatically get the SSDI I worked for and/or if the "back pay" would be based on SSi or SSDI? My SSDI is quite a bit more monthly than simple SSI. Also, as I mentioned, my daughter would receive a monthly benefit as well for being my dependent.

I just am not certain how this would work???? Would I initially get SSI backpay, pay the taxes for the 4 lacking credits, a few thousand dollars and then start getting SSDI? Would I get back pay for SSI or SSDI at that point? WOuld my child receive back SSDI payments???
lilredridinghood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:28 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If it is true that you always worked and paid FICA taxes as an employee but failed to paye self-employment taxes for only two years, I find it hard to believe that you are not insured for SSDI since you (for persons over age 31) can have five years of zero earnings and still have enough credits in the ten year period before you became disabled. So, something is incorrect in your statement.

If you are only missing 4 credits, there is still the issue of what year you are referring to. 1990, 2000, 2007? SSA also has time limits on when you can correct your earnings record. Also, since you are apparently only paying these income taxes solely for the purpose of qualifying for SSDI, SSA may not believe that you actually performed work. There have been cases in which people file false tax returns for false self-employment solely for the purpose of having enough work credits.

Even if you had enough credits to qualify on your own record, if you are young and just barely insured for SSDI, it is possible that your monthly benefit would equal the family maximum and there might not be any money for your children. Also, not all SSDI benefits exceed SSI benefits. Depends on lifetime earnings.

Can't tell you the expected outcome of your plan, except there is a good chance it won't succeed.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am not sure how ssa would look at it, but it really sounds kind of like paying a life insurance premium after the death and expecting it to be covered.

Did you file tax returns for the years in question ?
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote