advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 09:52 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default How to "meet" the criteria??

I applied for social security last year in August, when I had a mental breakdown. Of course, I have been denied and now have an attorney and am at the court appeals level.

I read the criteria for my mental and physical problems. I can see that I am eligible under the listed guidelines on the SSA site. But, of course, they turn me down.

I have fibromyalgia since 2003, osteoarthritis, thyroid disorder, ongoing high white blood count for 6+ years, female cancer, PTSD, severe anxiety, social phobias, have been repeatedly sexually assaulted from childhood to late teens, severe depression, possible bipolar, PTSD, tachacardia, all I can think of off hand.... They continually turn me down.

My 15 yr. old (bipolar) daughter lives with me 90% of the time and I do not receive child support because at the time of divorce, I made decent money and we have shared parenting.

We receive foodstamps and medical coverage.

I recently moved into an apartment that my mother and I were leasing. She died tragically the first night here, a month ago. So, my daughter came to stay with me permanently, she was also here when mom died.

I had helped my parents financially for years, she was, now going to help me. Instead, I cannot pay the rent and utilities and have exhausted all resources.

Any suggestions?

I am currently having surgery to remove some female cancer. I am also attempting to push the SSI, for dire need/hardship.

I have many mental issues as well andsimply do not know where to go from here.....

I have always worked, but the last 2 years, was self-eployed and could not pay my taxes. I am 4 credits short due to this. If I "hopefully" get approved for SSI, I hope it is possible I can pay some of my back taxes, for the missing 4 credits, and believe since I qualify for SSI, will be able to get my SSDI, so I will receive more income and my daughter will also get half of that each month.

Any suggestions? AM I missing something?
lilredridinghood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-17-2009, 11:59 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default its tough

I wish you the best winning your SSDI and SSI case. i have not any luck with mine, ive been trying now for 3 years.

I know every state is different Alaska is where i am and its been nothing but dead ends for me up here. But i have to keep fighting for what is mine.

You shouldnt give up. keep at it. I think my age has something to do with it, i am 45. My sis in missouri is 58 and got her SSI first time around, crazy.

best of luck!
Ladysheets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:11 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Mental issues

I won on mental issues as well as a bum knee. It took a total of 3 1/2 years to finally win. Make sure you have a good doctor to document everything for you. I had 2 great doctors that kept on top of things for me. You have to have alot of patience if you expect to win.
Hoosier_Daddy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:26 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Have you considered seeing if your daughter also qualifies for social security given her diagnosis of bipolar? It may be worth a shot.
kross426 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:11 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi lilred,

It sure is a frustrating process !

I wish there was a magical formula, but damned if I know it.

The only advice I casn give is to focus on functional limitations. It's not about the list of diagnoses, it's about how those medical problems interfer with your ability to do a job.

For example....the vast majority of people over 40 have osteoarthritis somewhere and are not disabled by it. Where is your's and how does it affect you ? The ladies on the Lyrica commercials srolling around Rome and working in the cake shop are working despite their fibromyalgia.....why can't you ? Not that I need an explanation, I have both problems too, I mean explain it to ssdi.....no need to defend yourself here ! We all get it !

It matters a lot what your doctors write on the ssdi forms too. Have you seen their documentation ? If they just list the problems without explaining what you can't do, you are screwed.

Are you using a lawyer ? I think that really helps.

Best of luck to you, especially with your upcoming surgery
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote