Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 12:12 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Pain/numbness getting worse from disc herniation

Hi, this forum seems to hold a great deal of info and I'm hopefully looking for things that can help me out.

My herniations initially started about 3 years ago. I have herniations in my C4-C5 level, C5-C6 level, and herniations in my lower back (not sure what level).

It initially started as a slight numbness in my left pinkie. 3 years later, it has manifested into pain/numbness in my left hand/arm. I also had slight numbness on the top of my right/left foot (this may be due to the herniations in my lower back).

I had been going to physical therapy about a year ago but, I had to stop due to my insurance not covering physical therapy anymore.

I recently switched jobs and also received new insurance. I started going back to physical therapy (to a new physical therapist as well) about 2 weeks ago.

The thing is, this time, I think the physical therapy may be worsening my conditions. I now have numbness pain in my right hand/arm and numbness/pain in my toes in both feet. I've never had numbness/pain in my right hand/arm and toes before.

I don't know why it could possibly be getting worse? I'm doing the same exact physical therapy as I did a year ago (mostly neck traction). I've started doing traction in my lower back but, I don't think this could make it this worse? A couple of days ago I sneezed very hard and I had this immense shooting pain running down the both of my arms/hands.

I was told that my nerves were inflamed and this was expected. Perhaps beginning pains? But when I started physical therapy a year ago, I never experienced this.

Apologies for the long post but, this whole herniation problem has really gotten me to the point of depression. I'm 28 years old (I'm not young but, not old enough to be having all of these problems) and feel like my whole body is falling apart.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
swy81 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (10-22-2009)

advertisement
Old 10-19-2009, 09:42 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Disc herniations getting worse

If your MRI of the C-spine is more than a year old, you might ask your orthopedic surgeon if it's time for another one. I have degenerative disc disease at all levels of my C-spine and it has grown steadily worse since my first MRI two years ago. You might also consider consulting a neurosurgeon.

If you haven't had an MRI of the lumbar spine, I would get one soon.

PT could definitely make things worse, and sometimes it's a matter of finding the right treatment/therapist for your specific condition.

One thing I would definitely advise against: any forceful manipulation of your neck. Some chiropractors and osteopaths like high-velocity adjustments of the neck. They can be dangerous.

Have you tried NSAIDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swy81 View Post
Hi, this forum seems to hold a great deal of info and I'm hopefully looking for things that can help me out.

My herniations initially started about 3 years ago. I have herniations in my C4-C5 level, C5-C6 level, and herniations in my lower back (not sure what level).

It initially started as a slight numbness in my left pinkie. 3 years later, it has manifested into pain/numbness in my left hand/arm. I also had slight numbness on the top of my right/left foot (this may be due to the herniations in my lower back).

I had been going to physical therapy about a year ago but, I had to stop due to my insurance not covering physical therapy anymore.

I recently switched jobs and also received new insurance. I started going back to physical therapy (to a new physical therapist as well) about 2 weeks ago.

The thing is, this time, I think the physical therapy may be worsening my conditions. I now have numbness pain in my right hand/arm and numbness/pain in my toes in both feet. I've never had numbness/pain in my right hand/arm and toes before.

I don't know why it could possibly be getting worse? I'm doing the same exact physical therapy as I did a year ago (mostly neck traction). I've started doing traction in my lower back but, I don't think this could make it this worse? A couple of days ago I sneezed very hard and I had this immense shooting pain running down the both of my arms/hands.

I was told that my nerves were inflamed and this was expected. Perhaps beginning pains? But when I started physical therapy a year ago, I never experienced this.

Apologies for the long post but, this whole herniation problem has really gotten me to the point of depression. I'm 28 years old (I'm not young but, not old enough to be having all of these problems) and feel like my whole body is falling apart.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
dbrow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:44 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Been there

Definitely go see a neurosurgeon. You may have to go through your orthopedist or whoever first diagnosed the herniated disc first, but don't wait. I went in and ended up having surgery almost right away. They said if I had waited I would have been partially paralyzed. Better be safe than sorry!
Sambouka74 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:53 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Had herniated disc also

You need to go see your ortho or neurosurgeon, tell them that it's much worse and have them take imaging to compare. I was originally scheduled for surgery for 3 months after the neurosurgeon evaluated me. They said if things get dramatically worse or you have stumbling or incontinence (mine was in the thoracic) to come right in. Well, I had both of those and went in, they did surgery the next day. There's a reason it's gotten worse. And discontinue your physical therapy. If it turns out to be nothing, you can pick it back up again.
It was very scary when they came in and said surgery or paralyzation. No choice there, except for the obvious one. I was a freak of nature though, T-7 T-8 herniated to the left, and then 3 months later it herniated to the right. That one I went in for the MRI and they said go home, pack a bag, we'll see you at the hospital in 2 hours. It was surgery or paralyzation again, but this time it herniated much worse. Well, good luck, and please go see your doctor. Or get a second opinion if he doesn't take you seriously. I did before I found my surgeon.
Sambouka74 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 AM #5
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Welcome to the forum Swy81. I'm sorry for the pain issues you're dealing with. You've come to the right place for support. I hope things will be better after you've had more physical therapy with your new insurance. At 28, you're still young. I'm 51 and still feel young most of the time (and I have a son your age.) Check back in if you have any more questions or just to hang around, there are lots of nice folks here. Take care.

Turn Left at the next election.

RRMS DX 01/28/03 Started Copaxone again on 12/09/09
ewizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote