Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 10-28-2009, 05:33 PM #1
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default Microsoft office and windows 7

I got a new computer today and with it I got a package for microsoft office for home. it refuses to install telling me that something in assembly went wrong. I looked it up on the office website, and the patch I need to install to fix the issue, wont install unless office is already ON my machine! I have tried installing from the website, and from the CD. I am frustrated!

any ideas?

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-28-2009, 08:41 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

How about trying Open Office ?

It a free and compatible version very much like MS Office -
info-
http://why.openoffice.org/

I have used it for years now.

[We understand that many people already have documents which they have created using other common office software packages. OpenOffice.org 3 can read these files with a very high degree of accuracy, making migration to OpenOffice.org 3 very straightforward. In fact, we have reports where OpenOffice.org 3 has been able to read files which the original software package had said were corrupted and unusable. If your friends or colleagues use different software, you can still swap files with them - but better still, give them a free copy of OpenOffice.org 3! ]
http://why.openoffice.org/why_easy.html
Old 10-28-2009, 10:15 PM #3
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
I got a new computer today and with it I got a package for microsoft office for home. it refuses to install telling me that something in assembly went wrong. I looked it up on the office website, and the patch I need to install to fix the issue, wont install unless office is already ON my machine! I have tried installing from the website, and from the CD. I am frustrated!

any ideas?
Call the company that produced the computer or the retailer. You should have a warranty, at least a year? Is it a limited version of Office 2007? Did they give you a product key to activate it?

If you can't get it working then I agree in regard to Open Office. My son has used it for years. It's like a no frills copy of Office but is compatible for basic functions.

Turn Left at the next election.

RRMS DX 01/28/03 Started Copaxone again on 12/09/09
ewizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:20 PM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I used Open Office for years and it's a great site, but I recently got the latest version of Office and it's just so much better.

I can certainly understand why you want your new software to work Dej, but unfortunately I'm unable to offer anything to help your present predicament.

I'm running Vista and had no trouble installing Office, so all I can suggest is that it's one of those hiccups that seem to accompany just about every new Windows version that emerges.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (10-29-2009), ewizabeth (10-28-2009)
Old 10-28-2009, 11:33 PM #5
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

32 bit or the 64 bit version ???

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...&type=Software

do any of these trials install for you?
http://us20.trymicrosoftoffice.com/d...?culture=en-US

If you can't get anything at all to install I would consider returning it to the store - maybe the problems is with your new computer.

we had one last year that started acting weird with in the 3rd week of having it - luckily they let us return it for another of the same, and it has worked just fine.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (10-29-2009), ewizabeth (10-28-2009)
Old 10-29-2009, 07:47 AM #6
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I LOVE open office, and recomend it frequently, but I PAID for a microsoft office, and want it to work. I have my journals, books, and so forth in word, and am used to working in that format. I want what I paid for.

I clicked the free trial on the desktop. It tries to install and says "assembly error"

I went to getmicrosoftofficefree.com and installed from there. same error

I used the CD with the key I was given, same error.

I see on the windows office website many others are having the same issue. They have a patch, but in order to use the patch, you must have windows office already IN your system. I cant get the system without the patch, and I cant patch without the system. grr....

I will install an older version of word till I get this handled from them.

thanks for trying!

Betaseron 5/18/07

Copaxone 8/7/07

"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (10-29-2009)
Old 10-29-2009, 08:11 AM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

My husband has Office --he got it from work during a special deal for $19.95...and his version would only load once.
It has a block in it so it can only be used once.

Do you have an external backup? You might be able to move it to your other computer that way.

You can clone your harddrive online...take everything off and put it on the new machine. My son did that when he set me up.
It moves programs as well as files. But I am not an expert on this at all. It was just an idea I had.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:01 AM #8
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I have Office 2007 and it's great. From what I hear, Office 2010 will be out soon and it's just slightly different. It takes a little getting used to but after that, it's great!

Turn Left at the next election.

RRMS DX 01/28/03 Started Copaxone again on 12/09/09
ewizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:39 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am not sure if this is right or not, but was wondering if it is an upgrade of Office? Upgrades have to have a Office program already installed to be able to install.

If you try installing an upgrade it will put some Office code on your PC, but wont finish installing because it couldnt find a version of Office. Then when you try to install the trial version it runs into the code from the upgrade, and cant install because of that code being there.

Hope this isnt too confusing.

Go into the uninstall/install program area in the control panel, and see if there is any microsoft office in there and delete/uninstall anything you find with the words microsoft office. Then go look in your program files by exploring the C drive, and find any microsoft office files and delete them.

Once you clean all the files off that you can find, then try and install the trial version again, then the try using the disc. It should then load properly.

If it is a upgrade version of Office that you have, go back to where you bought it, and request that they give you a full version. Usually the full versions cost a bit more than an upgrade. If you get the full version it wouldnt matter about the Office files in your PC, because the full version will find them, and then ask you if you want to delete previous versions of Office. Once it deletes the files it will complete the new installation.

I am not sure if this is the problem you are having, but it is one I run into fairly often. Especially with microsoft operating systems.

Gone Squatchin
allentgamer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (10-29-2009)
Old 10-30-2009, 06:35 PM #10
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

problem solved. my copy of NEW windows 7 on a NEW high end computer was corrupt. Sad, very sad. mad, very mad! They took back my new computer, and have ordered me a NEW machine. They are taking all my programs off the machine to place it on the new machine, and will triple check all work before allowing me to bring it home. I was sooooo angry! They also found 6 virus' on there. I said "i have nortons that was PRE installed, and the computer didnt get on the internet till AFTER the antivirus was installed. how can that be?" he "guessed" that maybe it was used as an IN store demo machine before it became mine. I was outraged! anyway, they have ordered a NEW in box machine from the factory for me, and will personally test it, and place all the software i had on it for me.

Thanks for all the help

Betaseron 5/18/07

Copaxone 8/7/07

"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (10-31-2009), Twinkletoes (10-30-2009)