Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 11-02-2009, 11:17 AM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default I got a DVD PLAYER

Holy Cow!!!

I was speaking to my neighbor one day last month and I was saying "they don't make VCRs any more, and I love VCRs. And he said "oh you want VCRs, I have two or three, I don't use them, they are in the basement, we have all DVRs in my house."

Well!!!! I said "don't you dare throw any of them away". He then went inside and gave me one of them saying "I'll give you the others, they are buried under my stuff". We'll do this later".

I was so excited to have ONE vcr (A beautiful JVC), that who cared when I got the others.

I immediately hooked it up, and have been using it ever since.

So the other night when I came home from visiting a friend, I walk into the house and Alan greets me with "Oh John just gave you a DVD player and he says he'll give you the other VCRs later on, he just found this one".

I went over to the table and there was this Magnavox DVD player (with remote).

Now you have to undersand. I HAVE NEVER HAD A REAL DVD PLAYER in my home. Only that little portable one.

So I went on youtube and tried to find a tutorial showing how to hook it up.

Well!!!! all I saw was Home entertainment systems, and AV1 and Video imput this. I just shook my head.

I just went into the living room saying to myself "melody, you can do this". I know what RCA cables are (because I watched the youtube videos) and I had these cables in my home.

Five minutes ago, I hooked up the rca cables to the front of the tv in the living room. The red into red, etc. etc.

I turned the dvd player around and saw many different inputs, two red things, green things, yellow things, etc.

I said 'now how am I going to know which goes where? There were two video plugs, there was an S video thing.

I just took my best educated guess.

AND IT WORKED.

You should have seen the expression on my face when I put in a dvd player, put my tv to Video 2 (which I had also learned from watching the tutorial on youtube).

AND IT PLAYED.

Thank goodness for youtube.

And this forum.

lol

I NOW CAN WATCH DVD's with Alan , in the living room. We each have our own headphones (each equipped with in-line volume control) so we can put the volume as low or as high as needed.

what a neet setup. AND NOW WE CAN WATCH MOVIES.

It takes SO LITTLE to make me happy.

lol lol lol

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (11-03-2009), Koala77 (11-02-2009), Twinkletoes (11-02-2009)

advertisement
Old 11-02-2009, 11:31 AM #2
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Way COOL!!!

DVD players are nice to have... the dvd's last longer than VHS tapes... so you can watch your movies over and over and over..

I have a DVD player but still have my VHS too... I have some things on VHS that haven't came out on DVD...would hate to not be able to watch them.

Have fun with your DVD player and good job on hooking it up!!!!

Abbie

Rest in Peace
3/8/90 ~~ 4/2/12

Last edited by Abbie; 11-02-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Abbie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (11-02-2009)
Old 11-02-2009, 12:48 PM #3
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Yeah, isn't it way cool??? Last month I bought "The Feast of All Saints" dvd because I love those kind of movies.

I had to play it on my computer.

Now I can play ANYTHING i want on my dvd player.

Someday I'll do the dvr thing.

My next thing will be buying a bigger tv.

But that's down the road.

Waaaaaay down the road.

Maybe the guy next door will give me one of his plasma TV's?????

lol lol

Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
Abbie (11-02-2009)
Old 11-02-2009, 02:46 PM #4
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Well, THAT DIDN'T LAST LONG, DID IT???

Alan woke up, I excitedly told him "Guess what, I hooked up the DVD"

We go over to the thing. I press "on", I put the tv on Video 2 (exactly what I did before).

The magnavox dvd screen pops up (so I know it's all connected right?)

I try and insert a dvd by pressing the open/close thing. The little light flashes, the screen says "loading", then it says no cassette

And the little thing that usually pops open so I can insert a disc, WELL IT WOULDN'T OPEN.

It worked fine 1 hour ago.

Also, when I put my tv on Video 1 (which is what we watch cable and vcr tapes), well it was blank. I have 3 options when I press the video button on the tv. Video 1, video 2, and Channel 3.

Now when I put it to channel 3, it played fine (BUT WE NEVER WATCH ANYTHING THAT WAY, we select Video 1 and we've left it there and we see cable tv and our vcr tapes, all through Video 1 on the tv.

So I thought to myself "I must have jarred something loose or something.

So I tightened all connections on the back of the vcr and VOILA!! EVENTUALLY, I got it back to VIDEO 1.

So for now VIDEO 1 is doing what it's supposed to be doing.

so I go to Video 2, and there's the Magnavox DVD screen

SO HOW DO I OPEN UP THIS DVD PLAYER TO INSERT A DISC.

I tried unplugging it and replugging it back in.

Help!!!!

Mel

P.S. I just downloaded the manual from the internet. It's a Magnavox 421 dvd player. I read the part on how to open the front thing if you don't want to press open/close. It said to take the remote and hold down the 'STOP' button for 3 seconds.

I did this. It would not open. I said OPEN on the screen, then it said "LOADING".

Help lol
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

I just called the Magnavox company and the tech support guy had me unplug the unit and way a moment and then try again (no luck). he said to keep doing this, or I will have to take it in for repair, (not gonna happen).

oh well.

melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Last edited by MelodyL; 11-02-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:39 PM #5
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Most DVD players have a pinhole looking thing on the front of the system for just such an occasion. Place a bent or unbent paper clip tip into the hole, and it should open the unit. They place that hole there so you can retrieve your DVD if the power is out, or if the unit fails.

A pen tip is not long enough to reach in there. it must be a bit longer, like the paper clip trick. I find once the tray is open, it will work normally again. Sometimes it just needs to be opened to retrigger its memory.

Good job! btw, if you are seeing the Magnavox screen on whatever channel, you know that IS the right place to view the movie.

PLEASE unplug the unit BEFORE sticking things in any places. A good hard push with the clip will normally pop the door open.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:57 PM #6
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
Most DVD players have a pinhole looking thing on the front of the system for just such an occasion. Place a bent or unbent paper clip tip into the hole, and it should open the unit. They place that hole there so you can retrieve your DVD if the power is out, or if the unit fails.

A pen tip is not long enough to reach in there. it must be a bit longer, like the paper clip trick. I find once the tray is open, it will work normally again. Sometimes it just needs to be opened to retrigger its memory.

Good job! btw, if you are seeing the Magnavox screen on whatever channel, you know that IS the right place to view the movie.

PLEASE unplug the unit BEFORE sticking things in any places. A good hard push with the clip will normally pop the door open.
I KNOW ABOUT THE HOLE. I took my flashlight and put it all over the front of the darn thing.

NO HOLE!!!

Can this be? A dvd player with no hole?????????????????
lol lol lol

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY