advertisement

Old 01-09-2007, 11:38 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Adventures in kefir

I've gone crazy with kefir. I don't know why but my last batch of coconut milk kefir I decided to add some pumpkin puree. It tasted kind of icky after a couple of days of fermenting, not sour enough. So I let it go a few more days... just tasted it this morning. It is SOUR! And it is bubbling like a witches brew *cackle*. So I just decanted it and put it in the fridge, I hope the jar doesn't explode. I think I'll have to put some sweetener in this one because it is so powerfully puckerworthy.

I'd better go loosen the lid, I'm scared it'll blow up.
NancyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-09-2007, 12:12 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Too funny. I haven't started it yet, although I want to! Maybe in the next year we will finally try kefir!

A day to day lunch pictorial
sleepingbean is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:18 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingbean View Post
Too funny. I haven't started it yet, although I want to! Maybe in the next year we will finally try kefir!
It is actually rather fun. I was nervous about not using any dairy at all, but my cultures seem to be doing fine with coconut milk so far.

I have a desire to kefirize beans (pre-cooked ones). I was thinking those bacteria could break down those resistant starches that give us gas. And I also have this notion they'll taste good.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:05 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ooooh... I've been considering getting around to doing kefir but couldn't get my hands on any that was dairy free.

Another hurdle would've been that I was worried about spending all that time and money trying to make it with coconut... only to fail.

I'm thrilled to hear that yours is doing so well.

Maybe when you get too much, you would let me know and I could buy some of your dairy free base.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:38 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Kefir is the only dairy I do. I buy commercially made stuff. I havent' been able to get any grains yet. It is great to hear coconut milk does so well. Where did you get our first grains?
MotherMoon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:11 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Kim, the coconut milk just needs to ferment a nice long time to get that wonderful sourness. It goes slower than regular milk.

I just sat down with google one day and searched for kefir grains and found a list of people willing to share or sell theirs. I found a lady that would sell hers for about 15.00 postage included.

Now I've got enough I can send some to my sister-in-law! I also dried some of mine as backup copies, in case I should ruin some.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:06 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've been following this thread with great interest, because I haven't got the least idea what you all are talking about. What is kefir, please, someone? Remember, I'm a newbie at this sensitivity stuff, plus a total ignoramus when it comes to things like "kefir".
Old 01-11-2007, 08:19 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loisba View Post
I've been following this thread with great interest, because I haven't got the least idea what you all are talking about. What is kefir, please, someone? Remember, I'm a newbie at this sensitivity stuff, plus a total ignoramus when it comes to things like "kefir".
Kefir is kind of like yogurt, only more liquidy and (IMHO more delicious). It has like 40 types of beasties in it versus the scant handful in yogurt. You get these cultures commonly called "grains" (but they're not really grains). And you drop them in your culture jar along with your liquid (most use milk, I use coconut milk). You cover it losely with something that can breathe (i use a coffee filter with a rubber band) and put it in a cupboard and let it ferment for a couple of days.

It gets sour and lovely in 12-48 hours or so. The bacteria turn lactose into lactic acid which preserves the milk, something in there is making a bit of alcohol. Then you strain out the "grains" and put a lid LOOSELY on the jar (because it gives off a bit of C02 and you don't want it to explode). You start a new batch with the grains, or you can rest them. And it is very slightly alcoholic and kind of fizzy and wonderful.

I got a buzz of Kambucha tea (similar thing, but made with tea) but never have off of kefir. I'm a true alcohol light weight.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:54 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had to give up having kefir because I eventually worked out that the alcohol in it was making my hand numbness worse I am having yogurt instead but it isnt a good for my digestion .......

hubby, the dog and the chooks still have it and recently we had a sick goat and cured her by drenching her with kefir

koz
kozz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:36 PM #10
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Loisba... you might enjoy these links:
http://bodyecology.com/mcoconutkefir.php
http://bodyecology.com/coconutkefir.php

I've purchased kefir and really liked it, but... since my daughter doesn't do dairy...I am still waiting for them to market cocunut kefir. Next time you go to the grocery store... look around a bit near the yogurt and yogurt smoothies... you may just see kefir~

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote