Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 01-10-2007, 07:23 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default How Do You Cope

with things that you used to do before PD? There are some things that are clearly impossable and unsafe to do any longer and you must have help, but what changes or new methods do you now use to complete your tasks. I now use a battery powered tooth brush. I print now or use a word processor. I have found my left hand can do tasks that my dominant right can no longer do. I'm working on new methods every day and try not to give up. some things that are becoming more difficult to do are, using a broom or rake,painting, hand sanding,tucking a shirt tail,removing tight sox and buttoning tight buttons.
What are your challenges and how do you deal with them? Your ideas might be useful to others.
geraldo
geraldo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-10-2007, 10:31 PM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

[Comments removed. Saw that they were not in context with the topic.]

Difficulties are meant to rouse, not discourage. The human spirit is to grow strong by conflict.
William Ellery Channing

No problem is insurmountable. With a little courage, teamwork and determination a person can overcome anything.
B. Dodge
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller

Last edited by Stitcher; 01-11-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:26 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I swear.............

Not that I'm good at it, but I do my best with the few expletives I can get myself to say. It doesn't really help of course, but it does let off steam. Humor is much better, but isn't always as ready at hand as fury.

Buttons, hooks, ties are still possible, but they take a very long time. Socks are a problem on days when I can't reach my feet, and then my kind husband helps.

The very worst problem for me is that it takes me forever to put things into my purse. (Probably not a problem for most men). I can't get my wallet back into my purse, or my glasses, or the toothbrush I'm given at the dentist's, or the pieces of paper they hand me at the doctor's office. I fumble and fumble, and at times I give up and have to ask the hygienist or nurse to stuff it in for me. And thank goodness for 'plastic', it would take me hours to pay with cash.

One helpful trick: when dressing, if you turn anything sleeveless or short sleeved inside out, and put it on from the top instead of from the bottom the garment rolls outward and not in, at it is easier to pull it on.

I have not yet reached the velcro stage.

birte
BEMM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:28 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ive found that its easier to go with the flow that it is to buck the tide..I just try to do the best I can with what Ive got, and remember to be grateful for what I still can do..walk..drive..cook..etc
Old 01-11-2007, 02:22 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Coping

Gotta do get better at whatever is "forced of you". You've gotta be strong to resist all onslaughts of PD, and you've gotta be ready to accept change' So you're flying through the middle age of life , when a PD bomb hits your home. Only one member of your family will end life with the actual disease.
So "coping" with PD families is a multidimensional question. Who is forced to do what coping? It is the champion question of pretty well all that you can ask from us.
WE cope with the knowledge that there will be an always a better way to live with PD during the interim period between now and an acceptable, relatively easy and ultimately worthwhile "cure".
You fall down, you get up, you fall down , you get up, you fall down then, ---- this ----, I'm going to bed for a couple of days to heal up so I can walk
ol'cs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:53 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Geraldo, 12 yrs ago when my symptoms were mild I remember going for a swim in the ocean and thinking Parkinsons... bugger that, it's not going to take me down!
What followed was frankly some pretty awful times over the next few years.
Then almost 3 yrs ago I was blessed with good results from implanted neurostimulators (DBS) and am back to having a good quality of life.
There is a light at the end of the tunnel and I guess that's the moral of the story.
The other day I went for another dip in the ocean and I'm happy to say had the same thought that I'd had then, bugger Parkinsons it isn't going to ruin my life!
Cheers,
Lee
made it up is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:48 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default coping

I use a number of coping strategies. Humour is one of them. Sometimes I poke fun at my condition. This isn't always useful because sometimes it makes people uncomfortable. Trying to maintain an upbeat attitude also helps. I play scrabble almost every night keepimg my brain nimble. I read NT most every day but don't read every entry. I have favorites who write well, are interesting and have an upbeat attitude. I try to keep up with my reading. Right now it's Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. This is the second time for me. I work.

I generally don't read anything about Parkinson's; cures. medicines and all that. I'm probably the least informed carrier of PD on the planet. If a cure is found I'll soon hear about it. No need to join the "Cure of the Month" club.

All the best,

Lloyd
burckle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:10 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm with Burkle on the whole "cure of the month club" thing. Like he said, if it happens, we'll hear about it!

I cope by eating right, working out 5 days a week, and surrounding myself with positive people. People who are always negative or who can't seem to find the good in anything are not the kind of people I choose to be around.

I am active in the PD community. It's like therapy for me. I joined PAN and will be going to DC this February for the first time. I attend the NPF young-onset conferences. I run a young-onset support group in my area. And I go out and speak about PD to schools, colleges, medical facilities, community groups, and anywhere else I can. Education, advocacy, and awareness is my goal. The more people that know about PD and what it is only helps us all in the long run.

But I also make sure to not let PD and PD-related events or activities consume my life. I laugh and play and do other things. In other words, I live my life. PD may have certainly modified things a bit, and on some days a lot, but if I wallow in that, then I'm selling myself short and I don't personally choose to live that way.

Hang in there...

Todd
PDTalks.com

Todd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote