Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 09:36 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default do piddle pads really work?

[SIZE="4"]Hi
I'm new to this board, but post on others.

I lost my 14 yo Australian Shepherd in Sept, and am getting ready to get a new pup. So many new products in the stores these days!!! Piddle pads are a biggie, but do they really work, and worth the $$$$?[

I work a split shift, and can come home for a few hours during the day for potty breaks and feeding, so that isn't the problem. I detest crating a dog, even for potty training. So the piddle pads seem to be an answer?

Any feed back would be appreciated!/SIZE]

advertisement
Old 11-25-2009, 04:23 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

aussiemom

Piddle pads work but if and when you decide to take them away puppy mite pee on anything left on floor rugs paper ect.I am a groomer and I own 2 toy poos 1 standard poodles and a shih tzu and i crate trained all my poos now the shih tzu came to us later than i would have liked cuz they potty trained her on piddle pads needless to say 6 months later I still cant put down my area rugs or a rug at front door ect.I would have liked to get her younger but she wasnt supposed to be our pup.just thought i would tell you It takes alot less time to crate train while your gone than leaving pup roam on his own.best of luck with new pup
Dennise Kennel owner and groomer
Dennise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:12 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi
As I said, I detest crates. I also have a rescue Poodle who was badly abused, and left in a crate so much he didn't know how to lay on his side when we got him. But that's just one reason why I hate them. I plan on blocking the pup in the kitchen, so it is contained and nothing to chew up, but can still move around. Its been 14 1/2 years since I did the potty training thing. I'm going to get a Maltese, and I'm told they can be hard to train anyway.
Barb
Old 11-27-2009, 08:53 PM #4
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I don't crate either - my dogs were in a shelter, and it makes them uneasy (and it didn't solve the potty problem either). We only use them for longer car rides.

I started using that spray stuff, because I have one who still pees in the house. I put it outside, and he goes right to the sprayed area. He's had 2 accidents since we started - which is really good, because he was peeing every day! UGH!

So I put the potty pad down at night for him and the old one - sprayed that too. Not one potty on it yet. They sniffed, and know what it is though. But they'll sniff it then go to the door!

I do have a baby gate on the kitchen door though. And at night or when I leave, they all go in the kitch/bath area. They are way less likely to pee where they lay.

I have never used potty pads to potty train a puppy though. There are other ways that might be easier.
One bad side of this is, like Denise said, it CAN teach them to go inside. I think the purpose behind them is more for older, incontinent dogs or if you plan to always have the pads with the dog using it like a litter box. Still, you will need to lock the dog in one area or room while you're gone.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:46 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi
My Poodle went through a phase where he would pee on the furniture or the walls. He IS housetrained, don't know what this was all about. I bought the piddle pads for him, he ignored them. He is the rescue, we've had him 10 years or so, he is about 11 or 12 now. He has stopped this now. My other pups over the years, I always used news paper, and outside a lot, with lots of praise! It always worked. Now I have laminate floors, easy to clean!

What is this spray you mentioned? I really need to get back to the pet stores.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:54 AM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

The one I got - see other thread - from Odorban, called House Break Trainer. I don't even know if I got that right on the other thread. By the time I read the lable, put the dogs out 5 times, trip over the baby's toys, get more coffee and get back in here I've forgotten what the bottle says, lol.

Anyhoo I'm sure there are a few versions from other companies. I had not tried this method before. At first, I had some luck, but Rudy is so dang stressed and nervous. I think that's his potty issue. He gets all freaked out then he starts having accidents again. I might do better to get him a sedative.

My dgd - love her to bits - is just not good with critters. Had I known I was going to end up babysitting THIS much, I never would have taken on all these pets.

Gee, I kind of thought, since my kids were grown, that I could have a life.

Rudy will be calmer and not peeing inside within a day or two after our two weeks with the little one. But we have her 50 hrs a week for two weeks, and he's a wreck the whole time. The two poms just go off and hide - they seem depressed and get fat, while Rudy bounces off the walls.

They are all rescues - one as a pup, the other two as adults. All good dogs. But all dogs have their thing. I just hate that I am so run down from baby-chasing I cannot commit the time to them that I thought I would have.

As I said, this is my only grandchild and I adore her, but you'd have to see her to believe her. You'd think she was full of sugar all the time.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:59 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Lets go potty

I have a little Italian greyhound that pottys in the house. I am home all day and we have regular routine potty breaks outside. I read where this breed is so very hard to train. When the weather is bad she hates to go out.I have told her to go potty so she can come in. She is such a smarty pants that she squats down to make me think she has gone potty outside. Bless, Doodle bug7
Doodle bug7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:00 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

So, here it is, a few months later. I've had her for a month, she is 3 months. Got the piddle pads. Sometimes she uses them, sometimes not. She can be out in the yard for 20 or more min, I think she has pottied, she comes in and squats. She just gets too busy having fun in the yard to pee.
Koala77 (02-05-2010)