ALS For support and discussion of Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also referred to as "Lou Gehrig's Disease." In memory of BobbyB.

advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 10:18 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Pseudomonas

Hi again - do any of you with trachs suffer from recurring pseudomonas? My husband had to have a trach put in in March after a severe case of pneumonia, and we are struggling with a colonization. The doctor does not want to keep giving him cipro, but the odor is horrible and I know it doesn't make him feel very good.

Other than antibiotics and frequent trach changes, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stacyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-07-2010, 04:04 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Our son has had a trach for a few years and has had a few flairups of pseudomonus(sp). He used the cipro and it cleared up. His Dr also told us to use the cough assist machine every hour to keep the crap out of the airway while he had the pseudomonus and 5 or 6 times a day after we got it cleared up. If you are not familiar with the cough assist machine look on youtube under cough assist machines for ALS and you will find a few videos of people using them.
Good luck.
Wally's Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyn View Post
Hi again - do any of you with trachs suffer from recurring pseudomonas? My husband had to have a trach put in in March after a severe case of pneumonia, and we are struggling with a colonization. The doctor does not want to keep giving him cipro, but the odor is horrible and I know it doesn't make him feel very good.

Other than antibiotics and frequent trach changes, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wallyw1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote