advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 05:53 PM #1
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Default Fear less

Those of you who have known me for years.., know that I have recommended The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker as an excellent book about trusting our instincts.

Listening to the news tonight...over and over and over...I am reminded of his second book Fear Less in which he says "Just as your imagination has placed you in frightening situations, it is now time to place yourself in empowering situations, time to see that you have a role to play, and contrary to so many TV news stories, it isn't just victim-in-waiting."

I'm tired of people trying to scare us to death!!!

Alffe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Abbie (01-07-2010), barbo (01-08-2010), da duck (01-07-2010), FeelinGoofy (01-07-2010), Hockey (01-09-2010), lou_lou (01-08-2010), reyn (01-08-2010), tamiloo (01-08-2010), waves (01-08-2010)

advertisement
Old 01-08-2010, 08:51 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

. . . . . . . .

Last edited by reyn; 01-09-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: i've lost my mind
reyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (01-09-2010), barbo (01-09-2010), Hockey (01-09-2010)
Old 01-08-2010, 10:07 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Red face boy did this hit home

I am going to have to look into both books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alffe View Post
Those of you who have known me for years.., know that I have recommended The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker as an excellent book about trusting our instincts.

Listening to the news tonight...over and over and over...I am reminded of his second book Fear Less in which he says "Just as your imagination has placed you in frightening situations, it is now time to place yourself in empowering situations, time to see that you have a role to play, and contrary to so many TV news stories, it isn't just victim-in-waiting."

I'm tired of people trying to scare us to death
!!!
Yeah!!!

The other night i finally had to put in my earplugs to shut out the news. i don't have my own room so turning off the tv others were watching was not an option. i was sickened, threatened, scared, admonished, concerned, emarginated, threatened again, sickened again, et cetera et ceteraah et ceteraaaaaahhhh ... i basically felt like an emotional punch-bag for the stupid news broadcast. i could not take it any more and had to shut it out.

and yes, a lot of the time that is the message isn't it - being told we are a victim-in-waiting. thanks. i think i am getting why i feel "safer" watching some of the fiction i do - even where there is violence - because there the attitudes are different. and i am allowed - no, ENCOURAGED - to identify with those who get on with things (something i'm not very good at, granted). it may be fantasy but at least there are positive values, resolve, determination... and the good guys get more attention than the bad guys!

the news makes it sound like everything is hopeless and i might as well flush my head down the toilet. and they wonder why this seems to be an era full of stress and depression and psychiatric illness... hmmmmm.....

SIGH.

Thank you, Alffe, for this thread and for the book recommendations.

~ waves ~
waves is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (01-09-2010), barbo (01-09-2010), Hockey (01-09-2010)