Creative Corner For sharing of poetry, artwork, verse and other creative things.

advertisement

Old 01-09-2010, 11:38 AM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Need help on needlepoint canvas sheets.

Hi All!!!

I DON'T do needlepoint. And I'm NOT buying these canvas sheets for any needlepoint projects.

But I need to know what kind of canvas sheeting to buy because I need to cut out round circles, insert these round things into the lids of my Mason Jars, (I am a sprouter), so my sprouts can be rinsed and drained in two seconds.

So far I have been cutting out aluminum screening, trimming them to fit the inside of the lid. Great Success, but they come loose, and I've knicked my fingers many times because these things are sharp.

I said to myself "why not find some plastic sheeting with holes, cut out round things, make them into inserts and fit them inside the lids.

PERFECT!!!

Only I don't know a darn thing about needlepoint canvas sheets. I went to Ebay and there are HUGE lots of canvas sheeting and some say 7 COUNT.

What is 7 Count? I need SMALL holes. So my seeds won't fall through.

I need to find the SMALLEST count (Is this how one defines the size of the holes??).

So if any of you lovely people are crafters, needlepointers, or whatever?, can you please advise me of the kind of canvas sheets I can use?

Here's a sample of what I found on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bag-of-13-multi-...item4cece6419d

It's certainly cheap enough.

So chime in and let me know.

thanks much

Melody

P.S. Just went to youtube and watched some tutorials on plastic canvas mesh sheets. The girl demonstrated 3 various mesh sizes on needlepoint canvases. the one that caught my eye is 18 mesh. These seem to be SMALL holes, AM I RIGHT ON THIS?

I went to this site

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/dep...at=18&subcat=5
they have 10 mesh.

Is this small enough to use as a strainer if I cut out round inserts for my lids.

I really am trying to learn.
Thanks much
Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Last edited by MelodyL; 01-09-2010 at 11:56 AM.
MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-09-2010, 04:24 PM #2
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

While I don't live near any arts and crafts stores, about 10 blocks from my home there is a FABRIC store. I always go there to get some odds and ends.

I just took a walk. I asked the guy if he sold needlepoint plastic canvases. He shook his head and then I said "do you have rolls of plastic sheeting with small holes?" He said: "Oh sure".

We walked over the the PERFECT THING FOR ME, and I said "give me a yard, please". I forked over $5.00 and I just cut out 25 round things.

I have so much material left over I am good for at least a year.

I have taken all the metal inserts, replaced them, and I'm good to go. They drain just fine.

And to be on the safe side, I won't pour any water through on top. I'll just unscrew lid, add water, THEN, I'll re attach the lid, turn jar upside down, drain completely, tap tap tap, and tilt on my racks.

So I'm good to go.

Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 01-09-2010, 04:42 PM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

You are one clever sister! I'm impressed!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:03 PM #4
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
You are one clever sister! I'm impressed!
Hi Mrs. D.

Don't be so impressed.

I cut the round inserts, I placed it in the lids. I rinsed and drained well. I
just went over and checked. It's like cloth. Strong cloth, BUT CLOTH. So it's
not plastic. What the heck did I buy?

I'm out five bucks (thank god it's only $5.00), but really!!! I asked the guy,
"Is this plastic?" and he said "yes".

I really don't think so. Maybe it's a soft plastic thing with holes??

Anyway, tomorrow I'm taking a walk to another part of town where they just might have crafts.

But if I ever get to see any of those needlepoint plastic canvases, I'll get the 14 point. And I want HARD plastic, not this malleable stuff.

I can't believe this happened.

I wonder if they all are doing this. I replaced ALL my screens and they looked
just fine, but a few hours later, they turned into wimpy cloth like things.

Oh brother.

P.S. Just to make sure I know what I'm doing (if I go on ebay), the 14 point is good enough? I just don't want big holes. Do you know anything about needlepoint canvases?

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 01-09-2010, 07:12 PM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Sorry, I don't know about needlepoint.... I can't do it because of my hands and the old carpal tunnel. So I never learned it.
I used to crochet and embroider...but those days are long gone.

I suspect what you bought is not waterproof. That is why it stretched out.

Try looking at a Google search of "plastic mesh"... I did a quick one and only found expensive stuff.

There are nylon screens made you know for windows, in the hardware departments. That might work for you, without cutting you up.
They use these for window screens when metal types are not wanted. I don't think they are expensive at all. But I'd wash them before using for food purposes. Who knows what might be on them from the factory etc. ???

Here is a trivia factoid. You know what is used to screen urine for kidney stones/crystals? PantyHose!

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (01-10-2010)
Old 01-10-2010, 09:35 PM #6
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know about needlepoint.... I can't do it because of my hands and the old carpal tunnel. So I never learned it.
I used to crochet and embroider...but those days are long gone.

I suspect what you bought is not waterproof. That is why it stretched out.

Try looking at a Google search of "plastic mesh"... I did a quick one and only found expensive stuff.

There are nylon screens made you know for windows, in the hardware departments. That might work for you, without cutting you up.
They use these for window screens when metal types are not wanted. I don't think they are expensive at all. But I'd wash them before using for food purposes. Who knows what might be on them from the factory etc. ???

Here is a trivia factoid. You know what is used to screen urine for kidney stones/crystals? PantyHose!
Mrs. D.

I googled nylon mesh and I got more confused than I normally am. Some mentioned PVS's. I said "oh my".

And there are no hardware stores near me where anyone speaks english. I'm trying to imagine going in and asking for nylon mesh. You should have seen when I went in and tried to find a towel rod for my bathroom. You know the one I am talking about? It's a clear plastic pole that you can file down and it replaces a broken towel rack in the bathroom.

Well, one day I marched in to the hardware store and simply asked "Do you sell Towel Rods?" I was met with a quizzicle stare. Then I said "Towel Racks?" Again, no answer. The guy didn't speak one word of english.

This is exactly what I did (get your kleenix ready because you'll laugh so hard you will blow your nose).

I went over to the toilet seat on the wall, took it down, placed it on the counter, made believe I went to the bathroom, walked over to a make-believe sink, made believe I was washing my hands, went over to the make-believe towel rack and I threw my hands up and my eyes went wild and I made a gesture as if to say "WHERE'S THE TOWEL RACK", and the guy got all excited and said "Ah!!!!" and took me to the back of the store and THERE WAS MY TOWEL RACK.

True story.
Alan nearly fell off the chair when I came home and told him what I did.

BUT I GOT MY TOWEL ROD..

Remind me sometime to tell you how I got them to show me where the light bulbs were.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
Jaime_S (01-10-2010)
Old 01-11-2010, 07:19 AM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Ask for nylon window screening. There are metal and nylon types. (that is if the size of the screen is correct for your uses).

If you decide to try it, wash well before use. It may have chemicals on it as it is not designed for food use.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:31 PM #8
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Ask for nylon window screening. There are metal and nylon types. (that is if the size of the screen is correct for your uses).

If you decide to try it, wash well before use. It may have chemicals on it as it is not designed for food use.
Well, I happen to be going out in a few minutes and I'll pass the hardware store. I shall ask for Nylon Window Screening.

I wonder what kind of pantomime routine I'll have to do for this one.

lol

And how does one pantomime nylon window screening, anyway??

We shall find out.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 01-12-2010, 10:10 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

from the fabric you have left, cut LARGER circles, and use elastic bands to hold in place around the neck of the jar......presuming the metal rims will not go on over the fabric.... i am pretty sure the larger the number the smaller the hole, as far as the needlepoint canvas goes, like the higher the thread count on sheets, the finer the thread. Good luck!
pabb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:00 PM #10
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabb View Post
from the fabric you have left, cut LARGER circles, and use elastic bands to hold in place around the neck of the jar......presuming the metal rims will not go on over the fabric.... i am pretty sure the larger the number the smaller the hole, as far as the needlepoint canvas goes, like the higher the thread count on sheets, the finer the thread. Good luck!
I hear you. About cutting out big wide pieces. Did that. I had to wet the piece thoroughly first because it wasn't pliable. Then it will dry out over the hours.

I feel so stupid. One would think I would have recognized that that it was not made of plastic.

Anyway, I also found out that the larger number equals smaller holes.

So when I do get the plastic canvas sheets, I'll get 14 count.

Thanks very much for your info.

Take care,

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY