Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 01-15-2010, 05:41 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Come on up...

Well it shore has been plenty chilly here on this ole porch...but its still here and it ain't changed much. You know most folks don't like the chilly weather, I like it plenty...its a time to bring out those old quilts been handed down fer so long the patches have been patched. lol Yessiree lordy, they keep ya bones warm sho nuff, even though it takes a good start of energy to drag em around.

Those old quilts are a heap better than these fluffy pads called comforters, why they ain't a thing comforting about them! They ain't been around the sewing circle, listening to women folk tell their woes, nor have they heard the tales of young girls pining fer that young feller to come by and give a smile. Nope, can't say they do much other than look purty and help keep a little bit of heat around a body. Still, they ain't seen times so hard, that each scrap was sewed with loving hands knowing that the stitches would have to be strong, that each stitch needed to be straight to help all the other patches keep the whole quilt as one.

Yep ain't nothing like an ole scrappy quilt to give one comfort, reasons quite simple. That ole quilt is life itself...look jest a lil bit closer chile...don't you see? Yep, that's the look...each patch of cloth represents a person, and each person has a place in your life, and when you are feeling all chilly and cold...we wrap around you like a quilt that was sewn with love and care.

Now, then...I got hot apple cider, hot chocolate, coffee, hot or cold tea....
I got fresh baked bread, hot soup and plenty of room in this ole swing!!!
So come on up on the porch, I bet you can find just the right quilt fer ya.
Momma's Kids is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (01-15-2010), Darlene (01-18-2010), Kitty (01-15-2010), SallyC (01-19-2010)

advertisement
Old 01-15-2010, 06:10 PM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I've missed you, Momma.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:36 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

mmmm ...those quilts are true treasures, Momma! I sure wish I knew where my Granny's got off to. I hope someone snatched them up and they didn't end up in the dump. I got the cedar chest she stored them in, but the quilts were gone. Only reason I got the chest was my daddy made it for her and he wrote my name on the bottom of it!

Soup sounds good on this chilly evening!
Kitty (01-15-2010)
Old 01-15-2010, 07:21 PM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I still have two patchwork quilts my Mom made years ago. They sure do mean alot to me now that she is gone. I remember when she made the green one.......she'd sit on the living room floor and pin the squares together while we watched television. That was probably at least 35 years ago. I wouldn't part with those quilts for anything.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
TwoKidsTwoCats (01-15-2010)
Old 01-15-2010, 07:57 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Kitty...I've missed you also,but you are in my thoughts often, always remember that even when you think I'm not thinking of you...I am.

I have two quilts that are very old...one at least 100 yrs and the other belonged to a friend, when he died I got the quilt his mother made or his grandmother...I can't remember which. His quilt was close to fifty years old...I have them stored, but I do look at them at times.

TwoCats...I'm sure they probably wound up helping someone keep warm, ask around the family. I have quilt tops that were made by my grandmother(101 yrs old) and some that my ex-MIL had that were going to the dump, but I asked the ex husband for them. I hope one day I will feel like putting the backing on them to pass on to my grandkids.

I got some hot apple brandy ready...don't drink too much ya won't be able to walk, maybe not even see straight...yep Mr Tot knew how to make some apple brandy to warm up the bones on a cold night.

Momma's Kids is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (01-15-2010), TwoKidsTwoCats (01-15-2010)