Dentistry & Dental Issues For support and discussion about dentistry and dental issues.

advertisement

Old 01-18-2010, 02:24 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Day 6 of wearing upper denture.

I am on day 6 with an upper denture. I didn't expect all the emotional feelings of losing one's teeth. It's been hard and I've had a couple weepy days.
I went to my dentist today and he adjusted them and it feels SO much better! I now have some hope it won't feel awful forever.
If anyone would like to share their denture dramas, I'd like to read 'em.
ilovecosmos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-20-2010, 09:12 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Howdy!

I am on Day 8 as well with my full uppers and until yesterday, I too was doing the emotional rollercoaster! Weepy, trying to eat, frustration....BUT went to the dentist yesterday, he made a few adjustments and 30 min. later I was iin my car singing my brains out and feeling SOOOO much more confident and comfortable! THAT is the key, CALL THE DENTIST if you are not comfortable, thank GOD I have the most wonderful of dentist in MA! I LOVE my smile, I can talk MUCH better,he sanded down a lip on the side and the back of the plate and viola! It feels so natural today and I'm not sucking in to keep them in the 'right place' nor making those 'weird faces' LOL....and I'm going SHOPPING for some retail therapy! LOL...I work in a call center so on the phone all day every moment for 10 hours a day...and I was soooo afraid to go back on Friday, but now, no prob!
Another KEY to it all is KEEP THEM IN! Only take them out to rinse them and clean them....KEEPING them in helps the gums to 'mold' to the fixture!
Another thing I learned, which is TOTALLY SCARY is, after researching on adhesives, I found there is a LAWSUIT out on Fixodent and Polygrip as they contain ZINC!!!! People are coming down with Neuropathy and it is STILL ON THE MARKET? What is wrong with THAT pic.....after reading that I took BOTH products that I had bought ahead of time, BACK to Walgreens and they asked my why I was returning? "THEY HAVE ZINC IN THEM" And I asked them why the heck they where STILL on the market? they had NO ANSWER! So be VERY weary of those products and DO YOUR RESEARCH!
Be patient with yourself, get your adjustments! Your NOT ALONE! And eating won't happen overnight, but we will both get there! Congrats! And ENJOY your smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecosmos View Post
I am on day 6 with an upper denture. I didn't expect all the emotional feelings of losing one's teeth. It's been hard and I've had a couple weepy days.
I went to my dentist today and he adjusted them and it feels SO much better! I now have some hope it won't feel awful forever.
humarock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:50 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default seabond

So, to follow up, after the wonderful adjustments yesterday, my gums must be healing fast and shrinking cuz this morning and all day, the plate seemed slipping and odd, LOL...and I'm tired of sucking in air and then trying to get it to stick, I have two missing bottom back teeth, so during eating or if i put my teeth together, the plate kicks loose as it is unbalanced right now....so I went and got Seabond wafers, HOW amazing is it that that little piece of paper could make them feel snug again and no slippage! LOL..amazing the products they have. Let's see how long it lasts, you change them once a day, so let's see how dinner goes....on the FLIP side to it all, I did some 'retail therapy' today...and low and behold, i'm down to a size 4 in jeans....YEAH ME...(i just recently lost 42 lbs so this was more of a boost)...so THAT was exciting...LOL....I have been eating soft sandwhiches and pastas and protein shakes, okay some hot fudge sundaes too...LOL...BUT that was an added bonus...LOL...

I too am hoping that this will become 'normal' soon, love new things, and LOVE the look my new white beauties give me (i'll be 50 this year) but would like to not be so self concious about it....

Keep posting, would love to see how your doing and what 'tricks' you have found.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:42 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up Day 8

Thanks for all your advice and thoughts. I'm 58. No one around me wears dentures. It really helps to talk with someone who is going through this too.
My face is still bruised like I was in an accident! Although, the last 2 days I've began to see improvement.
I heard about the Zinc scare in the polygrip too. eeek! My dentures fit reeeeally tight. I don't use anything to hold them in so far. I have to pry them out. I thought they would loosen up after the swelling went down but they haven't yet. I've read that immediate dentures loosen around the 3 month mark and then you have to possibly get new ones.
But after my gums heal well, I'm getting implant dentures. It's expensive. Between the oral surgeon and dentist they've given me an estimate of around $33,000.

Glad to read you're doing well and you sound really up about yours. : )
Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up

Quote:

Hi there,

I had a full upper and lower extraction done in June last year; I'm extremely abscess prone and allergic to almost every antibiotic on the market... (just my luck) after landing in hospital for two weeks with what I was told is called "Ludwig’s angina" had the abscess sorted but due to the blood circulation being restricted to the area lost a large amount of bone. Hoping that that would be the end of it all I carried on as usual.

About two months down the line the news from the dentist was dooming, full extraction upper and lower, not being able to take stronger, more effective anti-biotics the infections had spread all over and I had 5 abscesses.

I’m an attractive 25 year old woman, so you can just imagine how this must have affected me emotionally. My self confidence was shattered, I worried that my amazing boyfriend would hate the fact that I have no teeth, and that people would say mean things and make mean jokes...

I was an emotional wreck for about 3 weeks after getting stuck with full dentures, until my boyfriend reminded me that wearing dentures doesn't change who I am. Even though the discomfort was annoying to say the least, regular adjustments over the next 2 months made it a bit easier.

After 6 months of wearing my dentures, I bravely decided to have my smile reconstructed with implants. I have had a sinus lift, bone grafts and now have all the implants in place, by October this year my million dollar smile will be back for the world to see.

So, if I can tell you one thing. Wearing dentures may be embarrassing and uncomfortable but it teaches you how to value yourself without being superficial. Instead of getting hung up on what you've lost, find something good out of the experience. And yes, it does get better with time, you adjust to the change.

Good luck, and hope you can make the best from a bad situation
Mari003 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:03 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I hear that

I don't know anyone either except my Mom, she has had both uppers and lowers since she was 19, she had peridontal disease and had them removed. She has no problems with hers. Mine feel a little loose right now, but I think i have been too hard...LOL...I used the Sea Bond and that works wonderfully, you have to cut them to fit, which stinks, but I will only use that for going to work, I am in a call center and talk for 10 hours a day...LOL...tomorrow is my 1st day back to work, THAT ought to be challenging...LOL...my tongue kills me, too much playing with the teeth and plate...LOL...I am going to the oral surgeon Tues and I want to talk to him about putting the posts in to lock them down and get rid of the back part of the plate. Is that what you where talking about the implant? your estimate is 33K?
I go to Jenny Craig and haven't been there in 3 weeks, holidays, etc kept me pretty busy, so I went today, and they all looked at me and said....you look beautiful what is different? I just smiled....LOL...My real teeth had two misshaped front teeth, one was a cap and the other bonded, and then two big spaces on either side, from the peridontal, and those two next to the front teeth where dropping down considerably. I looked at photos from my wedding 5 years ago and I had NO spacing then, it came on really quick...
I miss my teeth though I have to say.... But I will get use to it.

I hear the bruising thing, my cheeks didn't bruise, but they turned like a yellowish color, but my nose was sooo sore and my sinus cavaties are sore still...my upper lip took a long time to get the feeling back in it...LOL...but do you notice muscles in your face and jaw start to hurt? It's like going to the gym and using muscles you haven't used in so long....LOL....

Yes, it is nice to talk to someone who is going through the same thing, because others don't understand the emotions we feel.

Well, I wish you a peaceful week.and look forward to hear how your doing...
Old 01-22-2010, 01:24 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari003 View Post
Hi there,

I had a full upper and lower extraction done in June last year; I'm extremely abscess prone and allergic to almost every antibiotic on the market... (just my luck) after landing in hospital for two weeks with what I was told is called "Ludwig’s angina" had the abscess sorted but due to the blood circulation being restricted to the area lost a large amount of bone. Hoping that that would be the end of it all I carried on as usual.

About two months down the line the news from the dentist was dooming, full extraction upper and lower, not being able to take stronger, more effective anti-biotics the infections had spread all over and I had 5 abscesses.

I’m an attractive 25 year old woman, so you can just imagine how this must have affected me emotionally. My self confidence was shattered, I worried that my amazing boyfriend would hate the fact that I have no teeth, and that people would say mean things and make mean jokes...

I was an emotional wreck for about 3 weeks after getting stuck with full dentures, until my boyfriend reminded me that wearing dentures doesn't change who I am. Even though the discomfort was annoying to say the least, regular adjustments over the next 2 months made it a bit easier.

After 6 months of wearing my dentures, I bravely decided to have my smile reconstructed with implants. I have had a sinus lift, bone grafts and now have all the implants in place, by October this year my million dollar smile will be back for the world to see.

So, if I can tell you one thing. Wearing dentures may be embarrassing and uncomfortable but it teaches you how to value yourself without being superficial. Instead of getting hung up on what you've lost, find something good out of the experience. And yes, it does get better with time, you adjust to the change.

I lost my teeth because I was born with most of my secondary teeth missing. --A family curse on my father's side.-- I had mostly all crowns and bridges. The baby teeth under all this started to crack and break off. I had no choice but to remove it all and start over. If I were young, like you, I would have all mine replaced with implants too. But they quoted me a pricetag of $50,000+ plus! This was for the top only! I could think of SO many things to do with 50 grand at this age of 58.
So I'm going with "implant dentures" for around $30,000. The denture is supposed to be much less plastic covering the roof of the mouth. A horseshoe shape that snaps onto 6 to 8 implanted buds in the bones in the gums. It snaps in and does not move or shift in the mouth.
But like I said, if I were your age, I'd go for the total implants too! It'll be just like having your own teeth again! Happy for you!
Old 01-22-2010, 05:54 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Mari,

My goodness, you have certainly been through a LOT....and I love your positivity~....and your so young as well. Keep that boyfriend of yours, he is a wonderful man! When you say you are having implants, is that a per tooth implant or the dentures implanted? It is amazing at how much shrinkage I have had in just 3 days now, the dentures can slip off on their own and I have to have an adhesive in, I will be calling my dentist asap....but did you experience this as well? I guess I'm thinking they should fit like those wonderful pair of tight jeans, but without adhesive, I can just lightly push them right out.....arg....I know it will take time to adjust. But I went back to work today, work in a call center, so it is back to back calls ALL day and I do a 10 hour shift, after the 1st hour, I ran in the bathroom stall and put in ANOTHER piece of adhesive, the 1st one was soaked and not holding...THEN another hour and I drove home to get a larger piece of seabond, then came back again and in 2 more hours, my jaw was so soar and my head felt like it would explode.....sound familiar at all? arg...on the rollercoaster!

Thanks for sharing your story with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari003 View Post
Hi there,

Old 01-23-2010, 03:49 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default hi Hemarock

I replied back to your last thread but before I finished I got a phone call. When I came back I clicked send but it said I's been booted off the site and I lost the whole thing!

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. Your dentist should be able to help you. Just a shame you have to wait til Monday.
I've read it's normal for most people's dentures to loosen. Maybe your dentist would make you new ones for free cause it seems he possibly made them too loose. Just a thought.
I still haven't even been out in public since Jan. 13 when I had my teeth removed. Face is still bruised. I have to return to work on Monday. Not looking forward to the gasps and questions.

Take care and hang in there!
Old 01-27-2010, 02:36 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

OH NO! I HATE when that happens too, sometimes, I type stuff and I don't know WHAT on my laptop does it, but all of a sudden everything disappears...LOL...

I am doing MUCH better, it is SUCH a rollercoaster ride....went yesterday and got a clean bill of health from the oral surgeon and then to the dentist for more adjustments, they are too big right now, but he wants to wait to do the hard align, he gave me some suggestions, they aren't overly huge, but to keep myself comfortable, I was using seabond, it was good, but left my saliva goopy, so I tried Fixodent today, yes even after what I read online, I wanted to try a little of the food control one, my brother-in-law is using it on his uppers and loves it, he was right, it was really good, I actually ate lunch with no pain when I chewed on either side, so then I found Cushion Grip, and I'm getting ready to try that. Can't get the hard align until the 6th month, so now need to make due....won't go back to work until 2/5, thank goodness as that takes pressure off me....plus I don't like my job anyhow...LOL...talk about stress upon stress....
I'll let you know how the Cushion Grip works, reviews have been good, but it's all personal preferance too....looking for something that will last 10 hours and NOT collect food up in them....LOL

I'm sorry to hear your still bruised....ouch...I have been out and about but now with friends or out to eat, until today, my friend MADE me meet her for breakfast at this cool little resturant/muffin place, and it worked pretty good, and she was giggling at me as I was self concious and went well until I pulled out my mirror after I ate and we laughed soooo hard....LOL..vanity....

I hope your 1st day back to work goes really well....hopefully people will gasp at the beauty of your new teeth...and not ask....when I went into work for the short time, I had some that where looking at me like 'something is different but not sure and don't know how to ask"...LOL...

Have a great week and enjoy the rest of your time off!

Quote:
I replied back to your last thread but before I finished I got a phone call. When I came back I clicked send but it said I's been booted off the site and I lost the whole thing!

I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. Your dentist should be able to help you. Just a shame you have to wait til Monday.
I've read it's normal for most people's dentures to loosen. Maybe your dentist would make you new ones for free cause it seems he possibly made them too loose. Just a thought.
I still haven't even been out in public since Jan. 13 when I had my teeth removed. Face is still bruised. I have to return to work on Monday. Not looking forward to the gasps and questions.

Take care and hang in there!

Tags
dentures, emotions