Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 03:38 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default What promotes healthy discs?

Is there anything I can make sure I am getting in my diet to promote a healthy spinal cord? (I have thoracic bulges)
Thanks for the advice

Last edited by thursday; 01-19-2010 at 02:18 PM.
thursday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-27-2010, 10:20 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default healthy discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursday View Post
Is there anything I can make sure I am getting in my diet to promote a healthy spinal cord? (I have thoracic bulges)
Thanks for the advice

Hi Thursday,
very late reply I know and you possibly have your answers now from elsewhere! however, unlike the rest of our body discs dont get their supply from blood as such. it is the compression and decompresssion of normal movement that gives it during movement/excercise, and plently of water on a daily basis! there are not really specific supplements as such that I am aware of. I have DDD and take a range of supplements: glucosamine 700 with chondroitin 450mg (for joint health and it helps!) caltrate (calcium as I am very non dairy) fat soluble B1 and methyl B12. this are for nerve health. cod liver oil (because my mother says so!)
discs are tricky, but the best thing you CAN do for them is posture and core strength. always stand as if you are a jug of liquid, if you lean too much forward liquid spills and also too far back same thing. balance your head so it rests on the spine, not forward, extends the spine/vertabrae to much pressure on the disc, wears it down quicker than normal. stand straight, sit straight (do not bend your spine towards your chair in a c shape) and sleep in a bed that has some give, not an orthopedic bed they are too hard and cause stress to the spine/discs.

hope this helps
surgery sceptic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
diet, disc herniation, supplements, thoracic herniation