Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 11:43 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default please review my cervical MRI's

please review my cervical MRI's-scan0006-jpg

please review my cervical MRI's-scan0007-jpg

please review my cervical MRI's-scan0005-jpg

Is there anyone here that can look at my MRI's and give their opinion. I had a workers comp Doctor tell me I should not have any pain and there is no excuse for any of my symptoms.
rk44 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-05-2010, 12:29 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Did you get a written report also?
We possibly could help more if we could see the report and if you tell us your symptoms.

The symptoms might help the most if the drs area saying the c spine shouldn't be the cause of your pain.

I was told the same thing - I have a chronic musculoskeletal condition from repetitive work. RSI/TOS. symptoms in show @ Arms,hands, elbows , shoulders, neck upper back

Since you mention Cervical spine & wc - it's makes me wonder if your symptoms are from some sort of repetitive/postural working conditions?

You might want to read on our TOS forum-
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum24.html
and the useful sticky thread post # 1 has a crash course about TOS & other related things.
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread84.html
Old 02-05-2010, 01:36 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Radiology report states C5-C6 disc herniation with annular tear abuts spinal cord and reversal of cervical lordosis.

I have balance-dizzy problems, severe intrascapular pain ( high thoracic ) just below base of neck and between shoulder blades, feels as if bees stinging me, it itches too , the outer skin there, any movement of neck or arms any weight baring like anything , picking up a plate brings this bee stinging and deep thoracic pain . The chiropractor ( I sought on my own and ordered these MRI's ) said this was radicular pain from disc herniation,but workers comp Doctor as stated nothing is wrong with me, the way workers comp Doctors have treated me is unbelievable ( I will write more on that later)

I have intermittent tingling in fingers, intermittent arm pain when walking , anything that jars my neck causes horrible symptoms, I have headaches, balance problems and when chiroprcator uses that activator on sides of my neck I feel like I am falling off the table, if I turn my neck a certain way I almost fall over, will go into more details,but wanted to see if someone could look at my MRI here , I may be able to redo to brighten some, I see its very dark.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:28 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

AS far as RSI , yes I am a cardiovascular sonographer, or was till I was fired for being injured or disabled from pushing the 500 lb machine to EACH patients room to perform ultrasound exam. I also have de-quivraens and carpal tunnel, the carpal tunnel was diagnosed long ago, but the de-quivarens was from recent MRI.

I also moved heavy furniture from hospital rooms to fit equipment so I could extend arms to reach patients to perform exams, the exams can take between 25 to 45 minutes a piece with both arms abducted at same time, one on patient constantly scanning the other on machine capturing images adjusting controls constantly and dictating ( typing notes and things on the screen for the Doctor who reads)

There are OSHA studies that dictate how injurious our jobs are,but pushing and pulling that equipment ( 500 lbs ) I am 115 lbs to EACH patients room has absolutely tore me down, my neck is not the only problem, I had severe hip pain from trying to pull the machine at times to get it to all the rooms, pushed that thing over carpet, horrendous, and the force on my legs would literally twist the socks off my feet when moving it all around hospital ...yes I asked for OSHA's assistance and received no help and believe that was part of why they fired me. the termination letter stated they would not accommodate a non work injury ir any medical-disabilty . I asked for accommodations 12 times in writing and they his the fact that they were now allowing my co-workers who did not complain to use hopsital transporters ( that will bring patients to them instead of taking the 600 lb to the patients )

I was out on FMLA when this occurred and I gave input before asking that I be allowed to use transport so that I could do the essintial function of my job which is scanning patients, but they denied me and the tainted workers comp system and Doctors included could not see that my neck has injuries, could not see how pulling 500 lbs all day and moving furniture was injurious on top of the known RSI from our jobs already that is well known.....

Just really down that my career is ruined and no one wants to step up and of course they fired me over all this, there is so much retaliation that went on, it is mind blowing, I actually got a letter from the HR manager that said I was not allowed to communicate with my co-workers at all and ask no questions of and they forced our director who TRIED to help us to resign and also told him he was not allowed to speak to me, a might mare and there is more...but right now just need to see what is wrong with me physically i have not improved at all.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:03 PM #5
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Do you have a GOOD wc atty on your case yet?

A good one should have some good & claim knowledgeable drs on a list.
I suggest interviewing quite a few and assess the office & staff- a good professional office & staff should mean a good atty- but that's my logic anyway..
mine had a unorganized staff & office - but I didn't really know what I was doing so went with it and I think I didn't get the best outcome . But I did things on my own as far as healing so I'm doing oK that way.
But I could never go back to the same type of work or I would be in a relapse and probably worse symptoms each time I returned.
Wc had already returned me to work 4 times after I "healed" each time I was injured & each time I was worse off.

If some of this stuff does show up on films/tests then you at least have some proof of injury.
And esp if you haven't had any accidents or injury to that area previously - they may try to blame it on that.

But I would suggest that you might have the actual c spine thing happening as well as some TOS or chronic RSI going on too.
You might need to find an advanced PT that can do a full in depth assessment /evaluation. Some states/wc will allow you to choose a dr of your choice & that dr would refer you to the adv PT person.
but that comes back the to wc atty - best to find one and get hi/her opinion on drs.

Best to not communicate to co workers anymore- they may let something slip and it could get to HR or WC and go against you.
I learned this after the fact... mums the word.

Pushing/pulling and the static arm postures you describe are a real set up for c spine as well as muscular/nerve problems.
So reading on those forum links I gave you should be a great help. It's lots to absorb so take breaks.

In most states if you have an active wc claim - they frown on going out on your own for care... but I did it myself..and paid cash to a very good chiro that was the best help for me.
So you also need to dig into your state's wc website, so you don't mess up your claim.

we also have a wc forum -but of course best not to post real names or too much detail as "they" may "find" the info - probably mainly applies in the long term or big $$ claims. but best to be cautious.
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum30.html

Does your DC do other modalities like ultrasound, Low level laser/cold laser, Nimmo { a massage /trigger point treatment}, IF stim??
mine does all of those as well as c1/c2 & reg adjustments. Posture too.

My brain quit on me LOL, I'll let you digest this for now.
But do explore the WC forum and the TOS forum there are tips and post from others that are helpful too.
and you can also use the search tool to find specific topics or subjects.
search tool -
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/search.php

you probably know this but the WC drs are not really on your side.
so don't expect miracles from them.
you need your own atty & your own dr that will support your claim of injury as well as help you get better.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:22 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Talking

Hi RK ~ First and FOREMOST ~ Do NOT continue going to the Chiropractor! I had 2 different Neurosurgeons tell me that unless I wanted to become paralyzed and in a wheelchair, I was to never again see a chiro. Any manipulation of the neck or back could put you in a world of trouble.

And yes, you have plenty of reason to be in pain. You have a herniation that is touching the spinal cord! That stupid w/c doctor just doesn't want his client to have to pay benefits. You are entitled to benefits, and you need an attorney. You will win, believe me.

Please be very careful with any lifting. God bless. Peace, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:37 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Leesa, I am so sorry to read your health history, and it was very kind to reply to my message. Do you read MRI's ( not professionally ) but just because ? I do, in a sense, being in the field I am and of course studying online every cervical MRI..and I agree the c5 region is right on my spinal cord, and well GOD put spinal fluid around it to protect it so nothing comes into contact with it just like amniotic fluid that surrounds a fetus and this workers comp Doctor who says its no big deal and nothing is wrong with me just blows my mind...THAT Workers comp Doctor WAS MY ONE TIME CHANGE, the first never touched me and said nothing was wrong with me and if I didn't like pushing the heavy machine to find a new job, he was outrageous...........the last one, which was my one time change is the one who said he could see no reason for any pain and nothing was wrong with my neck at all, he said , so what you have a bulge and when I pointed out the tear, he said so , thats just wear and tear..I SWEAR its what he said I had my daughter as witness present. As far as chiro goes, she only manipulated my neck once and that was before the MRI came back ,after that all she uses on me is an activator, which I hate ........I am now waiting on COBRA since I was terminated from job because of all this and its just a nightmare all the way around.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:49 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I agree with Leesa that you need to see another doctor. If you don't have a primary care physician, try to see a physiatrist (physical rehab medicine doctor). They will know whether you need to go directly to a neurosurgeon or conservative treatment is possible.

Your pattern of symptoms fit in the classic C5-6 dermatone. I've had a problem at C5-6 problem which is slowly becoming more problematic so I can relate to your description of the symptoms. The bee stings sounds typical of nerve pain. On a bad day, I can't tolerate anything in the arm on the side that is more affected by the neck.

I don't know if a cortisone shot is recommended when the disk is herniated like yours but it really helped settle down the symptoms when I flared it really bad a few years ago. At that time, I had the bee stings that you're talking about.

Jo has some really good advice. Be careful who you talk to and how much personal stuff you put on the internet. It can be used against you in the process.
Sheri_TOS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote