Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 02-26-2010, 06:13 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default lumbar mri results

had an mri second one can anyone help decipher the results for me
atl5-s1 we see diffuse bulging of the l5-s1 disc with significant impingement.
at l4-5 we note diffuse bulging into the right and left lateral recessses associated with mild hypertrophic changes in the facet joints producing mild changes of spinal canal stenosis and also mild to moderate bilateral lateral recess imingement.
at l3-4 there is diffuse bulging but there is a focal right foraminal l3-4 herniation protruding into the right l3-4 foramen and producing mild right lateral recess and foraminal impingement.
maryannhou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-01-2010, 09:07 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi MaryAnn ~ I'll try to decipher it a bit.

At L5-S1 there's a bulge that impinges on something ~ they don't say what. I assume it's on a nerve?

At L4-5 there's bulging into the right and left sides along with enlargment in the facet joints producing mild changes of spinal canal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal) and also mild to moderate bilateral lateral recess impingement.

At L3-4 there is bulging but there is a focal right foraminal L3-4 herniation protruding into the right L3-4 foramen producing mild right lateral recess and foraminal impingement. (The foramen is an opening where the spinal nerves come out)

So you have 2 bulges and one herniation. Regardless if they're bulging or herniated, I'm sure they ALL hurt, since it says that they're impinging on "something." It's AMAZING to me that these darned doctors NEVER tell their patients what is going on, from these MRI'S. Mine never did either and i had to do the research myself. My neurosurgeon was SOOOOO arrogant and holier-than-thou and I didn't DARE ask him any questions. After my surgeries, I had to go back many times because I was still in pain and you know what he said??? "You can't be because I fixed you."

Well it's 24 years later and I'm STILL in pain. The SAME pain as BEFORE surgery. I have the SAME discs herniated AGAIN that he operated on, plus several more. I'm now disabled. Sheeesh. I hate doctors.

Sorry about the rant. I hope I helped you with the MRI. I hope your doc will answer a few questions. God bless and take care. Peace, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote