Myasthenia Gravis For support and discussions on Myasthenia Gravis, Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes and LEMS.

advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 10:05 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi I'm Back

Hi, It's Barbara. New Job New Questions. I have an all night job now. I work 10 hours 3 days a week. Not much lifting just lots of straightening of a store. I have only worked my first 3 days. I have been off and I am still sleepy, I cannot function hardly. I can be up for a few hours and have to go to bed again. I love the job, it pays well. But I am wondering if the sleepiness is just getting used to the hours or MG problems. I know I shouldn't be standing this long. But the pay sure helps out the family.
Also I have been losing hair for about 4 month. Thought might be prednisone, but I am on Imuran, Mestinon ER.
Also Bruises all over my stomach and knees. I looked in the mirror and I looked like someone punched me about 5 places on my belly. Anybody had bruising problems? Thanks, sometimes I feel like an alien with all these symptoms.
BARBARA356 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-08-2010, 01:56 AM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi, Barbara. I'm sorry things aren't going the greatest for you.

Are you on any blood thinning drugs? Aspirin? With that much bruising, you should contact your doctor right away. Tests they might run include a ProTime and INR to check how your blood is clotting.

I'm sorry the job is so taxing. Ten hours at a time is a lot. At least call your neuro to see if it's the MG or something else (the tired part).

Things in my life aren't the greatest right now either. Some days, I just want to give the heck up. It's such a struggle every day to do the basic things. And it isn't fun to not have money for things other than food or bills. Just commiserating.

I hope you can figure out the bruising thing. That is odd and anything new or different should be brought up right away to your doctor/internist.

Take care,
Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:36 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Just a note that prednisone can cause bruising as well, and both Imuran AND prednisone can cause hair loss.
I agree, however, that bruising with no apparent trauma should always be checked out. Could be your blood counts are off due to the Imuran as well.
Hope you feel better soon
Lauri

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Hi, Barbara. I'm sorry things aren't going the greatest for you.

Are you on any blood thinning drugs? Aspirin? With that much bruising, you should contact your doctor right away. Tests they might run include a ProTime and INR to check how your blood is clotting.

I'm sorry the job is so taxing. Ten hours at a time is a lot. At least call your neuro to see if it's the MG or something else (the tired part).

Things in my life aren't the greatest right now either. Some days, I just want to give the heck up. It's such a struggle every day to do the basic things. And it isn't fun to not have money for things other than food or bills. Just commiserating.

I hope you can figure out the bruising thing. That is odd and anything new or different should be brought up right away to your doctor/internist.

Take care,
Annie
laurid8967 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:09 AM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Lauri, Thanks for adding that. When I posted last night when I was half asleep.

Barbara, All of the info on Imuran says to contact your doctor immediately if you have bruising or bleeding. Whatever the cause, please do call them today.
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:03 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey Barbara,

Nice hearing from you. Wow, 10 hours make for a very long day. It really is hard to know if you're so tired from those or it's the MG. The bruising sounds terrible and I hope you call your Dr. today. There has been some posting lately on hairloss you might find helpful. I'm not sure, but it might be a thread about Pred. Please take care and let us know how you make out.

Hugs,
Pat
Pat 110 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:05 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hope you find some answers soon, and also that you begin to feel better
Lauri

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Lauri, Thanks for adding that. When I posted last night when I was half asleep.

Barbara, All of the info on Imuran says to contact your doctor immediately if you have bruising or bleeding. Whatever the cause, please do call them today.
laurid8967 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:50 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Barbara,

I've lost quite a bit of hair while being on predisone...I've cut my hair short, and have been using lots of oils/conditions to combat the dryness...It hasn't been as bad since doing these things (especially the haircut), but my hair is still weak/brittle.

I've also had some bruising while on prednisone, but not like you describe. I've also read that Imuran can do that. I also noticed that bruises I had just prior to starting prednisone took forever to go away. I started about a month after my sternotomy, and the bruises stuck around for like two more months...I was also really anemic, so this may have had something to do with it...

Nicky
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Barb,

sorry you're not doing so well at the moment.

I had a terrible time with bruising while on imuran and pred, I would wake up with bruises on my arms where I had been holding it with my hand. I also had to wear jeans to cover up all the horrible bruises on my legs. I also had hair loss, lots of it.......which did grow back.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx
redtail is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:35 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Glad to see you back, sorry you are having trouble. Have you had your Thyroid checked?

I know when I was getting tired and had the hair loss it turned out that after all these years my thyroid levels tanked. I am getting it worked out with medication, it is a slow process but I am really beginning to see a difference!
Joanmarie63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote