Myasthenia Gravis For support and discussions on Myasthenia Gravis, Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes and LEMS.

advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 08:57 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Imuran and IVIG

Hey everyone,

So I started Imuran last night and am scheduled for IVIG in a week. Does anyone think that there might be complications with starting both treatments so close together? This will be my first round with IVIG but luckily I talked my neuro into doing it out patient over five days... I am scared to be starting the Imuran, let alone doing the infusion therapy

BTW I'm starting the Imuran due to the Prednisone not working after 9 months at 60 mg... and the IVIG because my strength took a nosedive in the last two weeks... Thanks again for sharing your experience
Aw3sk3r is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-11-2010, 05:21 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Aw3sk3r,

I'm starting Imuran today too...How are you feeling, side-effect-wise?

I've had IViG twice...The effects of the IViG work much more quickly than Imuran....You probably wont see any effects from Imuran for at least 6-months, and the neuro. I saw yesterday said that the peak effects can take a year to 18-months to happen. I don't think that having the two together should cause any problems (at least immunity-wise). In terms of your kidneys and liver, I'm not quite sure. I know that Imuran works the liver alot, which is why you have to go for blood tests regularly, and IViG works the kidneys. In terms of the two together, i'm not sure...I'd be a concerned too, and i understand your worries...

Sorry I couldn't be a bit more help!

Nicky
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:41 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicknerd View Post
Hi Aw3sk3r,

I'm starting Imuran today too...How are you feeling, side-effect-wise?

I've had IViG twice...The effects of the IViG work much more quickly than Imuran....You probably wont see any effects from Imuran for at least 6-months, and the neuro. I saw yesterday said that the peak effects can take a year to 18-months to happen. I don't think that having the two together should cause any problems (at least immunity-wise). In terms of your kidneys and liver, I'm not quite sure. I know that Imuran works the liver alot, which is why you have to go for blood tests regularly, and IViG works the kidneys. In terms of the two together, i'm not sure...I'd be a concerned too, and i understand your worries...

Sorry I couldn't be a bit more help!

Nicky
Thanks Nick... I hear you about the double whammy and have heard about the importance of keeping adequate hydration. I keep you posted of anything related to the Imuran. I hope that we both have good experiences with this! Good Luck Nick!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nicknerd (03-11-2010)
Old 03-12-2010, 03:43 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, I think what I'd do is wait to take the Imuran after the Ivig. Just in case the Imuran causes you to become ill. Sometimes IVIG can as well. It took Imuran about a week to make me ill. So this is why I say I'd wait.
Best of Wishes and prayers for you to feel well soon!
Love Lizzie
Maxwell'sMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:13 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell'sMom View Post
Hi, I think what I'd do is wait to take the Imuran after the Ivig. Just in case the Imuran causes you to become ill. Sometimes IVIG can as well. It took Imuran about a week to make me ill. So this is why I say I'd wait.
Best of Wishes and prayers for you to feel well soon!
Love Lizzie
Hi Lizzie,

What were those side effects? I have been at 100 mg and I feel like I have some chest congestion, but I might be just getting weaker, yet again As far as the IVIG goes, my insurance hasn't got back to me yet

Thanks
Old 03-29-2010, 12:21 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Ok so I've finished the IVIg and can say that it wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. I became quite weak and got the dreaded headache which finally went away two days after the complete 5 day infusion. I did the treatment outpatient and still worked, maybe I pushed it too far. I was in bed every day at 5 and slept ~12 hours a night for a week!

On the other hand I have been on Imuran for 2 weeks now and 150 mg's for the last week. My white blood count has dropped from 6500 to 2500 and the docs are concerned at such a drop so quickly. Has anyone had any similar experiences?
Old 03-29-2010, 03:41 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The only think my doctor told me about starting them at the same time was that if there was a problem or side effects, he wouldn't necessarily be able to tell which one was causing them. He advised to do the IV first and then the Imuran. I did my IV on an outpatient basis as well - every morning for 5 mornings. Good luck. Kathie Glenn
Kathie Glenn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:28 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile new to site if this is wrong way to reply sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw3sk3r View Post
Hey everyone,

So I started Imuran last night and am scheduled for IVIG in a week. Does anyone think that there might be complications with starting both treatments so close together? This will be my first round with IVIG but luckily I talked my neuro into doing it out patient over five days... I am scared to be starting the Imuran, let alone doing the infusion therapy

BTW I'm starting the Imuran due to the Prednisone not working after 9 months at 60 mg... and the IVIG because my strength took a nosedive in the last two weeks... Thanks again for sharing your experience
I have had mg since 1983 at 18 years old went to sleep one night woke up with eyes drooping thought stroke then to young for that.I am now 48 years old and was in remission for over 26 years, I had a heart problem in 2006 had to have surgery and had surgery bam mg back.So fast,anyway your question on imuran make sure you get blood test regular it takes a while to work so I dont understand if you are going to do ivig I would wait.I took 60mg of predisone for almost two years then it did not work well.I will say that ivig
is the best thing in the world I took 5day treatment in Hospital because I was in a crisis now I take ivig every three weeks at home my nurse comes to me
over a two day period it takes four hours each day she comes.Sometimes effects social life for a couple of hours ,but well worth it.Your doctor could
make arrangements for you to also do this in your home your medicine is delivered to your door,your nurse it has to be a RN in my state of N.C.You need your comfort of home and not a clinical enviroment you are already under stress from MG so make effort to comfort yourself.I have been in the medical field for quite sometime.Mostly in Hospice,@hospital so please ask your doctor for your comfort and enforce it.Oh forgot abouth your ivig dont be upset by this they will give you something for your headache, because they can be tough at times but they also get a bit easier with treatment
sometimes you stomach may feel a little funny but they also will have meds
for that.Best of luck to you GOD bless you be positive and you will do great.
Oh and also have you had you THYMUS GLAND removed yet if not go for it
small scar and also can help with remisssion.
sjenkins is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:00 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks sjenkins, I have been feeling better (now 4 days out from the last IVIg treatment) I still wake up in the morning with a headache but I hope tha'l go away in time... I go back tommorrow for my next blood test and I usually get the results that night so I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Old 04-01-2010, 07:59 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Aw3sk3r,

What dose of Imuran are you on? Have you noticed having a really bad headache? My head feels like it's in a vice!

I've been weaning up to 150mgs...I'm at 100mgs right now...If it's the Imuran that's causing my headache, I'm worried about getting to 150mgs...This is brutal...

Nicky
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote