Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 10:25 AM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Fostering a dog?

I am thinking of fostering a dog a small one though. I am not sure how I will do with my pain level/limits so this would give me a short term trial. Also I would like to volunteer in someway to step outside of myself and do something good. Has anyone done this and can share any experiences. Thanks
daniella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-11-2010, 01:01 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella
I am thinking of fostering a dog a small one though. I am not sure how I will do with my pain level/limits so this would give me a short term trial. Also I would like to volunteer in someway to step outside of myself and do something good. Has anyone done this and can share any experiences. Thanks
daniella

I always failed fostering.......I end up adopting the fosters. But it is very rewarding and more fosters Moms are needed given the state of the economy more and more people are giving up dogs, which is putting a strain on the already struggling rescues.

Give it a try, if it doesn;t work out you can always give the foster back, unless you end up being a failure at fostering like me, and keep your foster fur babies!
Old 03-12-2010, 07:03 AM #3
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member

Hi,

Before I was injured, I used to foster Labrador pups who were going into therapy dog training. You have to take them everywhere with you (work, church, shopping) so they can get comfortable in the many environments they'll encounter as working dogs. Needless to say, I got very attached to them and blubbered like a baby when it was time for them to move on. Still it was very rewarding. Now that I'm disabled, I appreciate even more how much those dogs meant to their new owners.

I think you should give fostering the little guys a try (but be prepared to adopt the little darlings!). A small dog shouldn't be too taxing. In fact, there are good studies that show companion animals help reduce stress and pain. I know that I'm never more right with the world then when I'm stroking my Border boys.

Cheers
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:25 AM #4
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Thank you for your feedback. I have never been an animal person but as of lately I have been super lonely and in pain I am limited on what I can do. I heard though some of these dogs come with real issues so that is concerning. Wow that is amazing about helping to train a service dog. You must be really wise with animals. Will see and right now I am getting the info so I can make a good choice. I am going to be open with the place about my limits though.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:29 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Animals are very intuitive,when I am having a bad pain day my female doxie knows, she is my heating pad. Also I had a foster that was a breeder for a puppy mill. He was a mess when he came to me. He is a little gentleman now. I kept him ( couldn't let him go) They somehow know you saved them and before long with positive reinforcement they come anound.

I am sure that given your limitations they can place a needy fur kid with you that is not a problem. There are lots of family pets that are being given up that have been part of a family for years and are thrown away. They are frightned and confused and just want a "normal" quite home to stay in. One of these little ones would be a perfect match for you.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:02 AM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

My friend on here who has similar condition says her dog knows when she is having a bad day. My moms dog knows not to jump on my bad leg. So you are right they are smart. I don't want them to think I am being picky but there are just some things I can't do or take a chance with my condition. It sounds like you have a lot of animals?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:14 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Therapy dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella
Hi there, I don't know about fostering, sorry. But I ran into a woman who has a therapy dog. She said it's meant the world to her to have this dog. They are so well trained and are allowed many places "regular" dogs aren't so that's a plus. Just another option that I've had in the back of my mind. But I do understand the desire to do something good outside one's own self. Please keep me/us posted as I would like to know more about the whole process.

Thanks!
Angela
Sunrise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:58 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

When you apply to foster they will ask ?'s to determine the best fit.For instance elderly people that cannot take overweight dogs for walks are given dogs that do not require alot of exercise. The goal of fostering is to place a dog that you that will benefit both parties.

I really think you would like it.

I currently have 3 dogs and 2 cats.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:12 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

I don't know about fostering.
Hope it works out for you!

BUT I do know that more puppy raisers are needed! That's to take in a suitable puppy for a non-profit service dog organization, teach the puppy the basics etc. On average only 1 in 10,000 disabled people, who need a service dog (animal) get one, mainly due to lack of puppy raisers.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:47 AM #10
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default I hope you go for it!

Dear Daniella,

The fact that you are asking serious questions about fostering shows that you are an excellent candidate. Too many people enter into pet ownership on impulse. A good organization will take pains to place the appropriate dog with you and to support you along the way. They know that these dogs need stability and want to put them in homes where they’ll have the best chance to succeed.

You are right that some foster dogs have “issues.” However, in my experience, over 95% of these issues are caused by the owners.
I have met a lot of bad owners. I have never met a dog that was organically “bad.” It’s amazing how dogs, even those abused and neglected in the most unimaginable ways, can blossom into wonderful pets in a loving home. Ironically these rescues are often the easiest to train. All dogs are pack animals programmed to please their leader - but these poor orphans just seem to rejoice in their second chance.

That said, you must be prepared to help your new friend reach his fullest potential. The first things these dogs need are unconditional love and patience. Owners with health issues excel here. Used to struggling to do what others do naturally, disabled owners can empathize with their pet’s efforts to navigate a world that can seem strange, difficult and arbitrary. Making that journey easier is where training comes in.

Training is critical. Positive, loving training (any other kind is abuse and is the last thing these dogs need or will respond to) is the best gift you will ever give your pet. Training is fun and strengthens the bond between handler and dog. Training builds a dog’s confidence and puts them at ease with the world. So many doggie problems, like aggression and inappropriate chewing, are the products of fear and anxiety.

To understand what it’s like to be an untrained dog, imagine that you’ve just been dropped onto an alien planet. You don’t speak the language or understand any of the customs, yet you’re expected to behave in some narrow, undefined manner that is somehow appropriate. Talk about a recipe for stress - on both sides! Your dog wants to please you; teach him how to do that.

The best thing about training is that it is neither difficult nor time consuming. You’ll be shocked by what a difference you can make in ten minutes a day. When it comes to training there are also many different options to get the job done.

It’s great if you can go to a good obedience class. (You’ll need to shop around because anyone can call themselves a trainer. If you are in a class and the instructor does anything coercive, trust your instincts and get out of there. Don’t feel you have to defer to this “expert.”) Obedience classes are fabulous because it helps socialize your dog and gives you a chance to make friends with other caring owners. If mobility is an issue, some trainers will come to your home.

If the cost of professional training is prohibitive, don’t despair. There are fantastic books that can make even the most novice handler look like a pro. My personal favourite is GOOD OWNERS, GREAT DOGS by Brian Kilcommons. I like that book because he always offers multiple approaches to every problem. (Just like kids, no two dogs are exactly the same.) I bet if you read Kilcommons’s book now, it would erase a lot of your jitters about fostering. Kilcommons is also a good benchmark for judging other training resources. There are a lot of bad books and programs out there. Dog Training for Dummies was written by one. And don’t even get my started on the Dog Whisperer……..

As you’ve probably guessed, I used to teach a lot of obedience. I can’t do that now that I’ve been injured, but I am still passionate about dogs. I think that they’re the most marvelous creatures in all creation (cats, too) and nothing makes me happier than to see them in the safe, loving homes they deserve. To that end, should you decide to foster, I would be happy to be an online resource for any of your doggie related questions.

Cheers & Wags
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
jaded2nite (03-13-2010)