Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 10:38 AM #1
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default IPod touch vs the Ipad

I have MS. I have TONS of visual issues. I have been wanting an IPOD touch. The DH and I talked it over, and I decided to just buy it. I kept shopping for a great deal, and yet, never found one, or just put it off.

Ipod touch. A handheld music/book player with applications for calendars, injections, phone book, games...its screen is 3.5" 64 gig is about $350 to $399 You must pay for some applications that partner with the player.

I got an email this morn about the IPAD! The screen is 9.7" and will do email, many many more applications, my audio books, regular books, calendar, my injection schedule, sync with my current calendar, and apps...you get the idea. MUCH more of a machine. 64 gigs is $699 applications can be bought, but many are free, and many more will be coming.

Apple.com if you want to see what I am talking about.

Should I just take the $350 I was investing in the Ipod touch, and just go ahead and upgrade myself to the Pad? its twice the size, so i can see it better. 10x the applications so I will get more use from it. blah blah...

I am trying to talk myself into it.

What say You? Do it? or dont do it? I can pay cash for it, or at least put it on my credit card, and pay it off when the bill arrives, so I am not worried about the money side of it. I dont normally treat myself to little treasures, so I am struggling to justify the upgrade.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-13-2010, 11:11 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
I have MS. I have TONS of visual issues.
Quote:
its twice the size, so i can see it better. 10x the applications so I will get more use from it.
Personally I think you have answered your own question there!

9.7 inches is substantially larger than 3.5. I would keep saving for the iPad. I think there is a delay on it's release, but that will give you a bit of time to decide on whether you want the WiFi version or the 3G version.
RobinM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:31 AM #3
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

If you don't need the smaller IPOD for portability reasons then I would go for the larger size.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:59 AM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

You're worth the upgrade, Dej! Just do it!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:24 PM #5
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
I have MS. I have TONS of visual issues. I have been wanting an IPOD touch. The DH and I talked it over, and I decided to just buy it. I kept shopping for a great deal, and yet, never found one, or just put it off.

Ipod touch. A handheld music/book player with applications for calendars, injections, phone book, games...its screen is 3.5" 64 gig is about $350 to $399 You must pay for some applications that partner with the player.

I got an email this morn about the IPAD! The screen is 9.7" and will do email, many many more applications, my audio books, regular books, calendar, my injection schedule, sync with my current calendar, and apps...you get the idea. MUCH more of a machine. 64 gigs is $699 applications can be bought, but many are free, and many more will be coming.

Apple.com if you want to see what I am talking about.

Should I just take the $350 I was investing in the Ipod touch, and just go ahead and upgrade myself to the Pad? its twice the size, so i can see it better. 10x the applications so I will get more use from it. blah blah...

I am trying to talk myself into it.

What say You? Do it? or dont do it? I can pay cash for it, or at least put it on my credit card, and pay it off when the bill arrives, so I am not worried about the money side of it. I dont normally treat myself to little treasures, so I am struggling to justify the upgrade.

GO FOR IT!!

Indulge yourself. If you don't WHO WILL!!!

It's right in front of you, reach out, take it and ENJOY IT!!!

lol

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:01 PM #6
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Wahoo! I ordered the 64 gig IPAD. I got the regular one, not the 3g. I dont need the whole 3g thing, and I wouldnt get a signal out here in the boonies anyway.

So, I got the Ipad, and the extended warranty. I resisted the urge to get the covers, and plug ins, and extentions and so on. I am sure I can get a much better deal at Wal-mart soon, and not pay the heavy price of the apple store.

I am excited! I treated myself! btw the 3g one wont ship till the END of April, and the normal one ships April 3 with free shipping. Whoooo!

I did it!

Betaseron 5/18/07

Copaxone 8/7/07

Old 03-13-2010, 01:14 PM #7
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Wahoo! I ordered the 64 gig IPAD. I got the regular one, not the 3g. I dont need the whole 3g thing, and I wouldnt get a signal out here in the boonies anyway.

So, I got the Ipad, and the extended warranty. I resisted the urge to get the covers, and plug ins, and extentions and so on. I am sure I can get a much better deal at Wal-mart soon, and not pay the heavy price of the apple store.

I am excited! I treated myself! btw the 3g one wont ship till the END of April, and the normal one ships April 3 with free shipping. Whoooo!

I did it!
Woo Woo!!!

Way to go, Let us know how it works.

melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:56 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

There is no better feeling than getting a new gadget!
RobinM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:06 PM #9
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I am pretty excited. I did splurge on the biggest HD, and that way, it will last me years, and hold tons of my audio books, pics, files, and such. nothing worse than getting a new gadget and running out of room in six months.

Thanks for the help. I decided in the end, that I really do need to treat myself to this. I really do love my audio books since I cant see well enough to read normal books. This will rock!

Wheeeeee!

Betaseron 5/18/07

Copaxone 8/7/07

Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Congrats! I'm excited for you! I love anything Mac! Bet once you get it we won't hear much from you for awhile 'cause you'll be too busy having fun!

I wanted a laptop for about 9 years 'cause it's too hard for me to sit at a desk, blah, blah, blah. And I've wanted a Mac for about 15 years. So this last August I bought the Macbook. And it's better than I thought it would be! I am now a Mac groupie. Tee-hee.

I don't even want to *see* the i-Pad or I'll want one.

Oh! Not sure if this interests you, but just in case....I researched insurance for my Mac 'cause the regular insurance offered, 1., costs a fortune, and 2., it doesn't cover anything that's accidental!
Like dropping it, or stepping on it, or water spillage, or theft, or even the screen cracking from touching it! It's a real problem 'cause they can always say the problem is considered "accidental" (read: your fault) so not covered under their policy. ( Google accidental insurance for laptops and you'll see what I mean.)
Anyway, someone said they bought their insurance through State Farm for $14.00 a year compared to $300.00 a year offered by Best Buy!
So I called my agent and sure enough they offer a "separate article" policy that covers anything accidental for $24.00 a year!
FWIW,
Sunrise
PS: Editing to add that the warranty is not the same thing as insurance. Sorry if i am being redundant.

Last edited by Sunrise; 03-14-2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: forgot something
Sunrise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (03-14-2010)