Myasthenia Gravis For support and discussions on Myasthenia Gravis, Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes and LEMS.

advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 12:10 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Congenital Myasthenia Gravis - New Here

Hello out there. I'm new here. I came across this site on google. I was born with Congenital Myasthenia Gravis. I'm 21 years old now and I'm interested in talking to other people with the same type of disease I have or similar.

Thanks
Frankenstein is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-15-2010, 03:28 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi and welcome.

It really is a great group of people to talk to here. We are all very friendly and supportive, look forward to seeing you around
Kate

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx
redtail is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:35 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yes, welcome! Forgivre me I don't know cogenital mg is. Yet how bad is your mg? Is it contolled well or no?

Glad u found this site.
tysondouglass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:22 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello and welcome!

You are in good company here, we are a group aging from the teens to well lets just say much older..LOL

Please feel free to ask anything and to share your story and feelings.

This is a great site for support!
Joanmarie63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:00 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Hello out there. I'm new here. I came across this site on google. I was born with Congenital Myasthenia Gravis. I'm 21 years old now and I'm interested in talking to other people with the same type of disease I have or similar.

Thanks

Hi, I am very glad I came upon your post. I am in the same position as you are and don't have anybody like me to speak with. It's very hard to find others with CMG. I would like to speak with you about your symptoms. Please send me a private message if you can.

Thanks
Lollipop is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:10 AM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Just a note here. New members cannot send PMs until they have been here a short time and have posted some. This is because the PM function was being abused by spammers trying to get to our members.

You'll have to talk on the boards for a short period and then the PM function will activate.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:01 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Just a note here. New members cannot send PMs until they have been here a short time and have posted some. This is because the PM function was being abused by spammers trying to get to our members.

You'll have to talk on the boards for a short period and then the PM function will activate.

So about how long exactly do I need to wait? Or about how many posts would I need to have?

The problem with that is that I don't necessarily relate to a lot of the problems people on this board are having. So it could take a while. Plus the other person I want to speak with would have to do the same thing. Would one of us be allowed to post our email address?
Lollipop is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:36 AM #8
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi Lollipop

we cannot disclose that number on the boards or we will have the spammers clued in and that defeats the object. We were dealing with very ick spam being sent in multiples by spammers so had to implement this

if you just keep posting to this thread as you say it relates to your own symptoms, then you should soon have enough posts to use PMs

you are also welcome to start your own thread specific to your problems

when members choose to receive emails, they usually select that option and so the ability to email them becomes available on their profile

it is *not* a good idea to post your email on a public forum such as this as it will be on Google within a short while if you do so.

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by Chemar; 04-17-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: typo
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:55 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yes, it's a very bad idea to post your email address here...I did that a while back, and am now getting add-ons from countless spammers on MSN messenger...I asked admin. here to delete the post I had used to post my email address, but it still appears on google...

Oh- Welcome, btw!

The two of you can maybe post some of your experiences with CMS here, then once you reach the minimum amount of posts, you can move to PMs...

Nicky
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:43 PM #10
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Lollipop, Do you have a CMS where you don't have enough acetylcholine, don't have any at all or have too much?

If it not enough, it is like MG but the cause and treatments are different - as I'm sure you know. Mestinon is the main drug used but there is something else called 3,4-DAP that is also used in some CMS's. Do you have an expert following your care?

Coffee, which has caffeine in it, can really be a boost for people with not enough acetylcholine. It does the same thing Mestinon does, although I think it does it in a slightly different way (my opinion). Caffeine and Mestinon are both cholinesterase inhibitors. They keep the enzyme Acetylcholinesterase from "eating up" acetylcholine so it can stay in the neuromuscular junction longer so we can use more of it.

The nightshade foods do the same thing (potato, tomato, peppers, eggplant, tobacco).

And the some of the same things, like being out in hot weather, can make the CMS's worse. Heat increases that enzyme in the body. So, if you have a fever from an infection, that can do it too. Anything that increases the body's temp. Even exercising.

I hope we can at least give you some support. CMS is like MG's cousin! Yes, the cause is genetic and not autoimmune but a lot of the symptoms are the same.

Frankenstein, If you're still out there, how are you doing?

Take care,

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote