Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 03-15-2010, 05:02 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Facebook question

Don't know if this is the right forum...my apologies. With conflict, I joined FB recently. I limit my friends and posts. I have a cartoon photo of myself.

Here are some (probably have a few more) questions:

1. Why would someone have over 1,000 friends? So, in other words, why would someone have such a huge number of friends? How is this possible? Do some people just make/create friends with anyone? What is your best guess as to why this would occur?

2. FB on the side of of my profile is suggesting that I am friends with folks from my email list. Also, with students in my classes at the university I attend. I kinda understand the second item (school classmates because I listed where I attend school), but I did NOT know they could get into my email list. Is this possible? Are they tracking me????? Has anyone else had this or something like this happen to them?

Thank you.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-15-2010, 05:23 PM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Tongue

Yes, they have software to compare people. Anything you put in your profile they use to link to others!

My husband has FB and he put Army veteran in and everyone who has been in the Army shows up there! Same with his graduation from college.... he's never heard of any of them!

I don't trust Facebook! I don't have one for myself. ( I use his).
We have maximum security on it too.

There are too many intrusions there to keep any semblance of privacy.

And as far as I am concerned, it is mostly "me, me, me"... Look what I like--- see how popular I am....etc.

There are some legit people there, but I have seen so many superficial things, that I find it depressing. If people define themselves this way, I don't understand how they find time to create a real self for themselves.

Facebook has been hacked more than once. For this reason be careful putting up any personal data that can lead to your identity being stolen. We do not use any of the photo posting offers. We have only a very small group of close friends and relatives on there.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (03-15-2010), SallyC (03-16-2010)
Old 03-15-2010, 05:36 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I too have noticed it as a PR campaign of sorts. Some have items in it that are really pushing the limits in terms of truthfulness. And due my interest in psychology, I wonder why someone would almost "gather" friends like they are collecting stamps.

In terms of tracking my email...

Just looked all around. I/"It" had my email typed in a section that allowed them to search my email account! I don't recall typing it in there! Anyway, I deleted it! Perhaps the problem is solved. It seems way too invasive to me. This software that might "compare" people...also very concerning.

Thank you Mrs. D.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-15-2010, 06:06 PM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Check your options. You can block that option.

We have never had an email connection ever.

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-15-2010, 08:01 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I get a kick out of people I know that have 1,000 or more friends. Hello, how can you keep track of so many let alone stay in touch with them?! I limit the applications I use because that is another way that your information gets out there. I find it interesting when advertisements pop up mentioning my age, town, etc. I have little info about myself and no info about my family, including any pictures of them.
karousel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-15-2010, 08:31 PM #6
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

There are privacy settings that you can use to limit what is seen by people other than your friends. I know from someone trying to find me via my email address that they couldn't since I have that set to be viewed only by my friends.

I generally ignore friend suggestions unless they come directly from other people on my friend list. Those show up in the same place friend and other requests are. I've also limited the apps I use.

There's been a virus going around that once it infects an account it will message other accounts with supposed you tube videos. I delete those out of my FB inbox without even opening them.

Dx'd MS 2007, Fibro 2009
FinLady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 PM #7
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

10 Privacy Settings Every Facebook User Should Know
http://www.allfacebook.com/2009/02/facebook-privacy/

Why Facebook is Wrong: Privacy Is Still Important
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...ut_privacy.php

Facebook issues listed {and other social websites}
http://cyberinsecure.com/?s=facebook

more info & links here-
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...acebook+issues
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (03-16-2010), SallyC (03-16-2010), Vowel Lady (03-17-2010)
Old 03-16-2010, 01:32 AM #8
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Red face

I think FB uses your cookies to find your location.

I find certain websites that use Google ads for example, always give my ads for my state and location. FB does the same.

To me it is nothing more than a data mining operation.

We had to laugh because one of my husband's friends from work was talked into joining FB by her daughter. While at first she was pleased to re-connect with some old acquaintances she made in France and Belgium from her old college days, her page became cluttered with "insane" ramblings from someone she went to high school with-- and she had to "hide" that person.
Also her mother became problematic...so now she has hidden her too!

"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (03-16-2010)
Old 03-16-2010, 08:42 AM #9
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

VL, a huge number of people "friend" (the newly popular verbification of a noun) hundreds of strangers to build up game 'teams'. They can part the strangers out into a separate list that limits their access to the 'real' user's information & photos.

A growing number of people maintain two accounts or identities where their actual connections remain with their true identities and their pseudonym has almost all strangers for game friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
To me it is nothing more than a data mining operation.
BINGO! Knowing what my marketing research firm charged for basic demographic data compilation, these "social networking" sites are a major boon for many, many industries.

Simply by joining alone, you automatically donate viable demographic data to what has to be a massive collection & categorization system.

In research, fundamental sorting questions are among the most important factors for sellers to define their target markets. By entering your location (deliberately or inadvertently via IP address), gender, age (via high school info), and accepting certain friend invites, you are handing advertisers powerful data that was once profoundly expensive!

The only reason marketing researchers want to confirm your name and other identity data is for verification purposes. Real firms have a supervision staff whose job it is to go back and verify a percentage of respondents' information.

So, when the VAST majority of users plug in their true information, the system can almost instantly generate a huge bank of very valuable consumer data.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
karousel (03-16-2010), mrsD (03-16-2010), SallyC (03-16-2010), Vowel Lady (03-17-2010)
Old 03-16-2010, 01:35 PM #10
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

I signed up for an account awhile back, and never used it. I've tried to delete the acct but, it wouldn't let me. So, I just ignored all their e-mails, friends lists..etc...and now, I don't hear from them at all.

I hope that's the end of them, although I have noticed a bit more junk mail from strangers, since getting in contact with them.

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote