Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 01-22-2007, 12:47 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Medical for driving licence renewal...

Hi...have just received my form to complete for my driving licence renewal,the last one being 3 years ago and on that occasion I was summoned for my first medical regarding driving and my health. Formerly the establishment have been satisfied with written details only. I think my instincts of expecting another medical this time will prove to be correct and I was wondering what this medical has entailed for any of you folk.
I am in the UK so not sure if it is similar elsewhere.
The gp was independant,obviously,very charming,almost at retirement age but...am I wrong to feel that being asked to disrobe was somewhat unneccessary?
My husband was present,and this gp was my lifeline to continued independance,so at the time,[and not knowing what he was about to test or check] I complied.However,he then left me semi-dressed,sat on the edge of a couch,whilst he stood at various locations around the room,whispering stuff to repeat,to test my hearing.
He then asked me to turn my head one way and another to test my range of vision.
Finally,my arms and legs were manipulated I guess to check for stiffness and rigidity...but do you not think this could have been done fully clothed.

Am I making a deal out of this..I felt a bit of a prawn sitting semi starkers for a good half hour and would like to be prepared to question the gp this time,should a repeat request be made.

I`m a trusting soul and don`t as a rule question much,but have been compromised on a number of occasions and feel more able to speak out these days if something seems inappropriate...just wanted to make sure that I was not out of place in thinking my choice of lingerie wasn`t pertinent to whether I was fit to drive or not.
steffi 001 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-22-2007, 02:10 AM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Chat yes dear steffi -they will take your lisence in USA too

dear steffi,
I have no drivers licence or car, because the insurance company becomes aware of PD in the US, our insurance rates are very high.

My sister who works for the State Patrol, said that they have tested many PD
patients of whom will flunk the exam because they dont stop at stop signs?

alot of PD patients should not drive at all, and I decided to stop volantarilly,
my good friend whom is very brilliant told me he did not drive at all and told me to consider the risks.

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:10 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Tena ...

forgive me if I am being oversensitive to your post but I think a lot of people with PD would pass the driver's exam and are good drivers.

On the other hand, I might pass the exam but could never be described as a good driver

Aftermathman.
aftermathman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:47 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default thanks you two

Thanks Tena for your reply.I understand what you are saying...it makes good sense but not ever having been over fond of driving I purely use it to a minimum,only short distances,and have been known to leave the car if I am incapable of driving it home,having got to my destination and hit an off peak.
I live in the country...no shop...no post office..zilch,as beautiful a lifestyle as it is.My husband works away for 2 weeks at a time and therefore even though I am not alone,my family and friends are wonderful...it is good to know I can hop in the car when well,and drive the dogs to the park,or pick up provisions.I would like to think I am sensible in that I would not drive unless feeling well.I passed the medical with flying colours but still my question remains....do I need the humiliation of disrobing to take a hearing and vision test.I think not.
When the time is right [if I am given the chance to still drive,] I will hope to be as brave as you and hand over the keys gracefully.It has to be said that these days driving is not a pleasurable experience so whilst I can be chauffered,I am happy.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:10 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I would not worry

I would not worry about the undressing if your husband was present.I think old style doctors think that is part of what they do to maintain their image. If your husband cannot be present ask for a nurse- chaperon.Having said that, my husband had a full examination with a private consultant to diagnose his Parkinsons and only undressed to his shirt and trousers.
What makes me mad is that more conditiond are not included in the list of conditions that a doctor has to certify you as fit to drive.I can think of two neighbour and a friend who should not drive but their conditions are not on the list.
EnglishCountryDancer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:37 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I agree EnglishCountryDancer ...

I thought it was common practice that a male Doctor should have a female present when examining another female (and vice versa) to protect them from harassment claims. The fact that this chap didn't do that may well label him as an "old school" type.

Tena, forgive my earlier post, I am touchy as I enjoy driving and when I see the standard of some drivers (young and old), it irritates me that people are surprised I can still drive. (That and the fact that some b3st4rd in a big Chrysler SUV has just reversed into my beloved Lotus Elise, pretty scary being that low down and seeing 2 tons of car reversing into you !!!)

Aftermathman.
aftermathman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:11 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Yes Steffi,

The doctor was out of line asking you to disrobe, it was completely unnecessary. One possibility, the one that comes most readily to mind, is that he had the authority to ask you, and enjoyed using it and seeing you in your undies. Another possibility is that he asked you to disrobe from habit, without thinking, and then feeling too silly, having asked you, he let you stay undressed rather than correct himself.

I gave up driving, with deep regret. It's too stressful to maneuver in traffic.

birte
BEMM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:28 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Good Information........but I have a question.

I would like input from someone as to WHEN one should think about stopping driving. I was dx with PD back on June 22, 06. At this point I am still driving and working with no problems. But is there any sort of standard as to when the wheels must go??? Everything is so new and so confusing to me these days. Thanks for any thoughts any of you may have.

caya
caya is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:03 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default driving

caya, I was dx in 98 with PD,and just now I have given up driving at nite.You will know when you are a hazard on the road,and at that time you need to give up driving.It is an individual thing,and no one can tell you when that time has come.Two exceptions your neuro will notify motor vehicle if he thinks you are a hazard,and your friends family or acqaintences can notify MV.both events will initiate a hearing.Oh if you get in an accident or you are reported by an observer as being a little off balance on your way to the car this will initiate an investigation.Be carefull!!!! There are plenty of handicapped individuals on the road drivng ,and even the average joe could have a heart attck behind the wheel,not to mention 16 yr olds that are juiced up on testosterone and estrogen .Best to you,and I hope you can keep on trucking.
scotch1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:08 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default thank you for your input

Many thanks.I will wear 10 layers when I go for my medical and not wash!!!
He`ll want me out of there as quick as possible then won`t he?

Caya..I agree with Scotch1.
As long as you feel comfortable with it there`s no need to worry.And yes there are healthy folk out there who drive as if they`ve been taught by Noddy !!!When you look around ,you see folk with dasabled stickers,getting out from behind the wheel and then reaching for crutches. If they can still drive,then I guess there`s room for us until we know for sure we aren`t coping.