ALS For support and discussion of Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also referred to as "Lou Gehrig's Disease." In memory of BobbyB.

advertisement

Old 01-22-2007, 07:28 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Stem Cell Promise

"With the right cells in hand, Kerr would first seek proof of principle that his neuroregenerative stem cell therapy can work in pigs, and then move on to see if it can help babies with SMA—a path he's charting in a grant right now. If the results showed that the researchers were on the right track, they would move on to test this type of therapy in patients with the more complex lesions found in transverse myelitis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, and traumatic spinal cord injury."

read full article ...

http://biology.plosjournals.org/perl...l.pbio.0050032
Agios is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-23-2007, 09:01 AM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Jan 22, 2007 04:27PM

herdlurky
arms onset: 04/03, Dx: 10/03

11 posts since May 28, 2006 Hello all. I wrote the following on my blog I would encourage all of you to send a similar message to all of your friends and family. We can make this research a reality

Earlier this month I had a great moment of pride and hope. The United States House of Representatives passed a bill to provide for stem cell research. This gave me and millions of others a reason for hope because the consensus in the scientific community is that stem cell research may one day produce therapies for a wide variety of diseases. It also gave me a sense of pride because one of the biggest supporters of the legislation was Harry Mitchell, a newly elected congressperson from Arizona. My sister and brother-in-law contributed and volunteered for his campaign and his victory last November was one of the biggest surprises in the country because he was a very big under dog going in. My family members have shared my story with his staff. During his first ever speech in the House of Representatives, he spoke eloquently and powerfully about the need for stem cell research and specifically mentioned ALS, a disease that is often forgotten because of how quickly those of us who have it pass away.

The bill has now moved on to the Senate, where it has overwhelming bipartisan support. It will undoubtedly pass and be sent on to President Bush. He has already promised that he will veto the bill, like he did with a similar bill last year (the only veto in his six years in office). It will then be sent back to Congress, which will need a two thirds majority to override the veto and become law. The bill has support in both chambers, but not quite enough right now to override the veto. That is where you come in

if you are in support of this bill, you can move on to the next paragraph. If you are opposed or are unsure how you feel, please listen to my plea and learn all of the facts. Most people who are opposed to this resolution consider themselves pro-life, but this issue has nothing to do with abortion. While stem cells could be harvested from aborted fetuses, this bill would restrict research so that it could only use stem cells that would otherwise be thrown away at fertility clinics. There are thousands of these blastocytes that are discarded every year. Researchers want to turn this medical waste into medical hope. Somehow this issue has become political, but it need not be. intelligent pro-lifers on both sides of the political aisle have looked at this bill and realize that this does not have any thing to do with abortion. From conservative Republican Senator Orrin Hatch to my Democratic mom, those that respect life understand that this legislation can provide so much life to those of us who are suffering. If you are still not convinced, please read more information at this web site

I know that many of you, my friends and family, have already contacted lawmakers urging them to support the bill. On behalf of every person who is suffering from ALS or one of 70 other diseases that may be treated by stem cell research, thank you from the bottom of my heart. But now is not the time to rest. We need to convince a few representatives to change their mind so that we can override the impending veto. If you do not know how your representative voted, click here. I need for you to call their office phone number and leave a polite but firm message encouraging them to reconsider their position on this bill. If you are more comfortable, drop an e-mail or write a letter.

But please do not stop at your own representative or senator that voted against the measure last year. Call other congresspersons from your state or that are in your political party. Urge them to pass this potentially life-saving legislation.

I would also encourage you, if you are a Christian, to call upon other Christians that voted against this measure. if you belong to a church which supports stem cell research, as for instance Episcopalian, LDS (Mormon), Presbyterian, or Methodist, call the members of Congress who are also members of your faith—and urge them to support the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act. Last time around, they all voted against it.

Leave a message: call after hours, if you like. When leaving a phone message, you might say, for example: “Like Representative _________, I am a Presbyterian, and our Presbyterian faith supports stem cell research. I hope Representative ____________ will vote yes on the Stem Cell Research Act to override the president's impending veto, because it is important to my family and my congregation. Thank you.”

If you are a constituent, be sure to mention that, and leave your phone number—they will almost certainly not call you, but the phone number verifies you are a constituent.

I know of roughly 100 people or so who read this blog. If you all make five phone calls, that is a major push. I know that it can feel pretty powerless writing a letter or calling someone in Washington DC, but if enough people are voicing their concern, our elected representatives are capable of changing their minds. It actually does happen. But it is up to us to make it happen

Now is a critical time. Please join me and countless others in this cause. Time is running out for so many of us.

http://www.patientslikeme.com/forum/...view=last#4238

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:42 AM #3
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member

I hadn't thought about "bugging" my church...what a great idea! Thank you again BobbyB.

Alffe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote