Myasthenia Gravis For support and discussions on Myasthenia Gravis, Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes and LEMS.

advertisement

Old 03-25-2010, 06:15 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Neurologist Statement

I always thought there was an underlying reason why I contracted MG. I filed a VA claim three years ago upon military retirement and have just had my VA physical exams in the past couple of months. I received copies of an examination report stemming from a neurological exam I had at the VA hospital. The VA neurologist stated in writing twice in the report that it was as likely as not that my MG stems from organophosphate (pesticides) exposure in the first Gulf War. I had gathered all the information I could to prove my case. I provided photos, buddy statements, doctor statements and MSDS sheets along with a bunch of other documents. The neuro stated that I was on the verge of providing too much information. The neuro was very concerned about the side effects of so much Mestinon. MG is an official VA disability. Now we'll just have to wait and see what the VA raters do with the neuro report.

Last edited by GI6607; 03-25-2010 at 06:16 AM. Reason: spelling
GI6607 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-26-2010, 08:37 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, I also wonder if I was predisposed to MG, and the exposure I had to chemical while working in a vineyard/orchard pushed me over the edge. I was always so careful, wore full protection when handling spraying using the chemicals, but knowing how toxic they are sometimes I do wonder if that was not enough. Just a thought, may not have anything to do with it but maybe it might............

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx
redtail is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:27 PM #3
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Dear GI,

This topic turns my stomach, so I had a hard time responding.

I'm sure you've read this already.

http://www.gulflink.osd.mil/library/randrep/pb_paper/

They basically "poisoned" our vets. Resmethrin, among other pesticides, were used over there. Plus the aspartame in sodas, sitting out in the sun, which goes toxic in the body above 85 degrees (the body temp is higher). They basically gave you guys a toxic cocktail.

I'm sorry you are having to go through so much.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:27 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default MG and exposure to pesticides .

I was exposed to Agent Orange in Vietnam . Diagnosed with MG in Sept 09.
Submitted a request to VA in late 2009 for VA disability claim for MG , without any substantiating documentation . ( I had previouusly been VA disability approved for Prostate Cancer due to Agent Orange ) . Officially VA does not have MG listed as a disease caused by Agent Orange . Don't know about Gulf War pesticides . VA denied my claim ...Hope you are more successful .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI6607 View Post
I always thought there was an underlying reason why I contracted MG. I filed a VA claim three years ago upon military retirement and have just had my VA physical exams in the past couple of months. I received copies of an examination report stemming from a neurological exam I had at the VA hospital. The VA neurologist stated in writing twice in the report that it was as likely as not that my MG stems from organophosphate (pesticides) exposure in the first Gulf War. I had gathered all the information I could to prove my case. I provided photos, buddy statements, doctor statements and MSDS sheets along with a bunch of other documents. The neuro stated that I was on the verge of providing too much information. The neuro was very concerned about the side effects of so much Mestinon. MG is an official VA disability. Now we'll just have to wait and see what the VA raters do with the neuro report.
Rowejack is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:11 PM #5
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Rowejack, Well, that just makes me sad and crazy. The vaccinations they give you guys are bad enough. Then the chemical agents they exposed you guys to, whether that was Agent Orange or Sarin Gas or pesticides or whatever, have been proven to disrupt the immune system. A gun or bomb isn't the only way our vets have been "wounded." I'm really sorry for what you've been through too. I hope your MG at least under control.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:13 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default to all exposed to agent orange

Keep pursuing the VA regarding the exposure to Agent Orange and MG...since they have recently added ALS and Parkinsons to the list there is hope for all those suffering with MG. How can they say one neuro disorder is agent orange connected and not otheres...
camsgrams is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:00 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Before the EPA and such that began to put info out about the danger in farm chemicals I was a clueless teenager living in our farm house that sat in the center of all the fields that were being sprayed on ground and then by crop dusters with these chemicals. Thank Heaven my kids were born healthy....oh wait.....my one daughter has the beginnings of Sjogrens and my youngest has Epilepsy and got Shingles when she was 14. A disease that shouldnt be seen that young.

I am sorry you all are dealing with trying to get VA benefits on this issue. I hope this changes for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camsgrams View Post
Keep pursuing the VA regarding the exposure to Agent Orange and MG...since they have recently added ALS and Parkinsons to the list there is hope for all those suffering with MG. How can they say one neuro disorder is agent orange connected and not otheres...
Annie59 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:51 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default MG and the Military

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie59 View Post
Before the EPA and such that began to put info out about the danger in farm chemicals I was a clueless teenager living in our farm house that sat in the center of all the fields that were being sprayed on ground and then by crop dusters with these chemicals. Thank Heaven my kids were born healthy....oh wait.....my one daughter has the beginnings of Sjogrens and my youngest has Epilepsy and got Shingles when she was 14. A disease that shouldnt be seen that young.

I am sorry you all are dealing with trying to get VA benefits on this issue. I hope this changes for you.
Thanks for the concern. A recent update finds that the VA has accepted my claim for service connection. From the first date of my claim until final decision took four years and one day. Patience won out in this case. My disability rating takes me to VA's top priority group for health care.
GI6607 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:17 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

First I am so very sorry that you have a medical need in the first place. That said, it infuriates me what our government (VA, armed services, etc.) has put you through in their attempt to make you (with the problem they undoubtedly caused) go away!!

On a much lesser scale, I am currently tussling with getting a coverage plan underwritten - - and there is no doubt that private coverage is no less a problem than VA.

We have such serious issues in this country regarding health care. The only way you can get it and afford it is if you are statistically unlikely to use it for the next 20 years!! How sad.
suev is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:23 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This is great news. Thanks for letting us know. It is worrisome when someone who obviuosly needs help is not getting it.
Annie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI6607 View Post
Thanks for the concern. A recent update finds that the VA has accepted my claim for service connection. From the first date of my claim until final decision took four years and one day. Patience won out in this case. My disability rating takes me to VA's top priority group for health care.
Annie59 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote