Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 07:47 PM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default I want to get a WII

I see it all over youtube and they are all dancing to JINGO LO BA and I get hysterical. But it's been years since I hooked up any video game control thingees. I used to have playstation and nintendo but that was YEARS AGO.

So in my living room (where I put this WII thing,) I have a tv attached to my directv and my vcr.

My tv is a very nice older sony trinitron and in the front it has 3 things in the front. YELLOW, WHITE, RED. so I gather that the WII would plug into these three things??

So here is what I need to know (and I can't ask anyone because no one around here has one and the young people won't give you the time of day).

How is this WII hooked up. With the vcr and the cable box, where does the WII go? Do I just plug in the power thing into the socket, and then the WII has cables that go in the front of m tv? (the yello, white and red, I mean)??

Also, what WII do I get?

I don't need games to play, although maybe Alan might like bowling or stuff. What I mainly want is the exercise thing.

So exactly what do I ask for, and how is this hooked up.

I might be 62 but I'M YOUNG AT HEART!!!

lol
Melody
P.S. I'm saving up for this, so I'm not getting it tomorrow. lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-28-2010, 08:51 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Melody, the WII conects to the TV with red, white and yellow cables, you will need the WII fit for the fitness exercises, but I think it comes with games, tennis, bowling etc.
A lot of the senior centres over here have put the WII's in at there centres and the seniors have a lot of fun playing them and keep active at the same time.

Have fun if you get one

Lesley
lesley21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:22 PM #3
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesley21 View Post
Hi Melody, the WII conects to the TV with red, white and yellow cables, you will need the WII fit for the fitness exercises, but I think it comes with games, tennis, bowling etc.
A lot of the senior centres over here have put the WII's in at there centres and the seniors have a lot of fun playing them and keep active at the same time.

Have fun if you get one

Lesley
Okay, WII connects to the tv using the red white and yellow things, (which plug into the front of the tv, right?)

So what channel is the tv on when one plays WII? I have my tv on channel 3 when I watch the VCR (oh, in the living room, I think it's on Video 1).

So what do I select to be able to view this WII thing. Is my tv on Channel 3, or video one or what?

Another question. I know it comes with some balance mat or something like that, right? How many controllers come with a WII? and what does a controller do when one is, for example, playing the music thing where the thing on the screen is dancing to Jingo lo ba?

When I saw this on youtube, it looked like an Indian woman was dancing to it.

I haven't been up close to a WII dance fitness thing yet, so I've never personally seen what the actual screen looks like. I've usually seen the PEOPLE DANCING TO THE WII, not the WII itself.

So if I'm holding a controller, and dancing, what does the screen look like? and what does the controller do?

See, my niece has a WII, and I did the sword fight thing, and when I held the controller, and played sword fighter, my avatar on the screen was wielding a sword.

How exactly does the exercise thing connect with a controller? See how dumb I am? lol

thanks much

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 03-29-2010, 02:26 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

not sure about the channel thing, my TV has AV so the DVD is in AV1 my recorder is in AV2 etc. but is you have spare red,white and yellow on your TV it should work. I think one control comes with it but you can buy more, you need two controls for most games. We don't have the dance game but I have seen it being played on a morning show here in Australia, it think you just copy the moves and you get points, not sure?
The WII fit takes your BMI and sets an exercise programme for you. We have one but it is my Grandsons so I do not use it very offen. The WII has a sensor that pick up the signal from the controller. Not sure is I have been helpfull probably confussed you.

all the best

Lesley
lesley21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:33 AM #5
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

The Wii will plug right into the yellow/white/red thing on the front of your TV that you describe.

The wii comes with ONE controller (that uses batteries) and the game system, and sports package disc. The disc has boxing, tennis, baseball, bowling, golf and a few other things. its a great disc package and will teach you how to use your system.

The Wii balance board (fitness plus) is a MUST have! its $89 new. the disc (games) will be about $19 depending on where you shop. They may have used ones at a game store if you look. It comes with a balance board disc that lets you play hula hoop, and other tight rope walks and stuff that really helps you balance. It has many great activities on the disc, and will be a great start for you.

they have many great games, and easy games to play. You can also download them directly from the internet if you have a wireless signal in your house, or you can plug a LAN cord from your router to the machine. it will update the machine, and its software.

its an awesome investment! Try to start with the basics. I got an extra controller, and a nunchuck (that hand held thingie) and a charger for the units, so I wasnt using up batteries. I hear that the batteries can last a long time, but its easier for me to just plunk them back into the charger. I dont have a charger for the balance board. The batteries last and last on that.

resort island is also a wonderful game! tons of fun.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:45 AM #6
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
The Wii will plug right into the yellow/white/red thing on the front of your TV that you describe.

The wii comes with ONE controller (that uses batteries) and the game system, and sports package disc. The disc has boxing, tennis, baseball, bowling, golf and a few other things. its a great disc package and will teach you how to use your system.

The Wii balance board (fitness plus) is a MUST have! its $89 new. the disc (games) will be about $19 depending on where you shop. They may have used ones at a game store if you look. It comes with a balance board disc that lets you play hula hoop, and other tight rope walks and stuff that really helps you balance. It has many great activities on the disc, and will be a great start for you.

they have many great games, and easy games to play. You can also download them directly from the internet if you have a wireless signal in your house, or you can plug a LAN cord from your router to the machine. it will update the machine, and its software.

its an awesome investment! Try to start with the basics. I got an extra controller, and a nunchuck (that hand held thingie) and a charger for the units, so I wasnt using up batteries. I hear that the batteries can last a long time, but its easier for me to just plunk them back into the charger. I dont have a charger for the balance board. The batteries last and last on that.

resort island is also a wonderful game! tons of fun.
Well, I already have a balance board in my house, but I'm game. I never could learn how to use a hula hoop. So I gather one stands on this balance mat, (does it weigh you and tell you what you weigh?) because if it does that, FORGET IT!! lol I don't look what I weigh and I don't want to know what I weigh. And I don't want Alan to know what I weigh.

I look perfectly fine and normal, but I don't weigh perfectly fine and normal. Never have.

So let's get back to this balanced thing. How is it attached to the WII? And does it use batteries also?

And do I buy a regular WII or a Fitness WII? I'm a bit confused on that one.

I know now that if I buy a WII, I plug the power cord into the outlet, and take the red white and yellow things from WII and plug it into the front of my tv.

So what channel is the WII thing on? And is there anything else I have to know before I buy it.

When it stops raining in Brooklyn, I'm going to go to my nearest game store and act like a dummy (not so much acting), and ask the guy "please show me how to use this thing). They have a demo up on the floor. When I see all the kids playing on it, I don't want to walk in and say "Can you please explain it to me" BECAUSE KIDS TREAT YOU LIKE YOU SHOULD BE IN A COFFIN ALREADY.

I know, because this has already happened. Most kids have no patience for people over the age of 30, so god help me if I ask them for any kind of help.

I like to know stuff BEFORE I BUY IT.

That way, when I get it home, I KNOW HOW TO USE IT.

Thanks much.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 03-29-2010, 06:12 PM #7
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

The wii comes with instructions on how to set it up. Its really easy. just follow the booklet.

The balance board has 2 scales. one on each side of the unit. its wireless, and requires batteries to work. it weighs how much of your body weight goes to each side, front, back or center. there are many great exercises. You DONT have to know how much you weigh unless you want to. you can also password protect it so only you can see your results if you want.

have fun!

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:51 PM #8
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
The wii comes with instructions on how to set it up. Its really easy. just follow the booklet.

The balance board has 2 scales. one on each side of the unit. its wireless, and requires batteries to work. it weighs how much of your body weight goes to each side, front, back or center. there are many great exercises. You DONT have to know how much you weigh unless you want to. you can also password protect it so only you can see your results if you want.

have fun!
Does the balance thing come with the WII or is it sold separately. I keep hearing about the WII fitness or something like that.

And I can't imagine it not telling you what you weigh, if you set it up. It must flash on the screen or something to that effect.

I WON'T BE DOING THIS, I guarantee you

lol lol

P.S. I just went on the internet and found the instructions for setting it up. The first part is easy. It says Take the RCA things and plug into the colored things. I CAN DO THIS. No problem.

What confuses me is the next instruction.
If you use a cable or a vcr, use the inputs on these.

I have BOTH a cable box and a vcr. Do I HAVE TO hook up the WII via these things?. Can't I just keep things the way they are and simply plug the power part of the WII into my electical outlet, and take the red white and yellow things and plug them into the front of my tv?

Can't I just do this? Or does the fact that I use a cable box and vcr, well does this fact mandate that I set up through these things?

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 PM #9
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

here's a video of setting up a Wii-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtE52YyIobk
Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 PM #10
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
here's a video of setting up a Wii-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtE52YyIobk
HOW DO I SAY "I LOVE YOU".

In French, Je T'aime

because I DO!!!! lol lol lol

I watched the video.

And the best part was......................

I UNDERSTOOD 99% OF IT.

Here's the one thing I don't get.

He said you have to give your WII console a NAME because you need the console to have a name when you go on the internet.

Why am I going on the internet with the WII??????

lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY