Myasthenia Gravis For support and discussions on Myasthenia Gravis, Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes and LEMS.

advertisement

Old 04-01-2010, 08:34 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default quick

Hi all. I'm at a concert. My doctor told me I might have an infection somewhere which was covered by my prednisone. And right now my throat feels like its closing and my nose is all stuffy. I'm having chest pains and really dizzy. What do I do? Or what woukd u sugguest?
tysondouglass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-01-2010, 09:10 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm just freaking out a bit. I just got some water and its a little hard to swallow and I'm very dizzy shallow breaths. I'm worried that this infection is pissing off my mg and before the night ends something may happen. Yet I'm outside waiting for my friends. I don't understand how it crept up so quickly. And my eye is droopy. I took mestinon. 60mg before coming...it doesn't work.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:44 PM #3
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

What you do is NOT post on a forum. What you do is go to the ER.

There is no way to tell if it is H1N1, a cold or bacterial infection. GO IN. Doesn't matter what is ticking off your MG.

Be sensible. MG is NOT sensible.

Let us know how you are.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:47 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

But now I'm feeling much better. Should I truley go in? My nose is a little clearer. I'm very close to the er.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:23 PM #5
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Tyson, Do you get panic attacks? Some of what you are describing could be that.

When are you having plasmapheresis?

And did you mean that your doctor said an infection was "covered by your Prednisone" or that the Pred is masking the infection? The second would more than likely be the case. And being immunosuppressed makes you more open for infections. How do they know you have an infection? Blood tests?

I still think you are in denial. If you keep pushing, you will end up in the ER again.

The body becomes "worn out" after too much of this pushing it to the limit crap. Think about what the treatment of plasmapheresis alone does to your body. Now think of having to do that when you are 50, if you make it to that age. Yeah, I'm trying to scare you. You have to manage MG with not only drugs but with alternating rest and activity. Even if you reach remission, you still will not be able to "push" things or you may go out of it.

You have to decide what is best for you. Is your pulse high when you do the littlest things? Are you still getting dizzy, like say when walking? It's always better to be safe than dead.

But I think you need to back the heck off on activity. Maybe spend some time, out in nature now that it's spring, and really think about what you want your life to be. You can't keep pushing like this.

You know I care. But tough love is really what you need right now. Please slow down. Not stop but be realistic.

Annie
Old 04-01-2010, 11:03 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Annie- Im not having panic attacks. Something is wrong. Im never nervous, or panicky when these things happen, it was late, i was at a concert with many people, as it was hot in there, and hot out today, my MG probably was acting up, and with my infection is not helping my case any. They never declared me as having an infection, but gave me antbiotics. Im starting those tomorrow.

My plex is tomorrow at 10. I called my doctors emergency number, but he hasnt gotten back to me yet..and im just kind of wondering if they would see me tomorrow or something when im getting the plex done to asses what is happening..

Earlier i was also having blood come out my mouth, and nose. Not sure what that was from, yet im going to go to bed, and if my doctor ever calls back, ill do as he says.

Yet my hand is really weak, and im going to bed. my nose is so stuffy, i can hardly breath through it.

But my pulse does jump when doing something small, like switching around in bed, or getting out a seat.

I do get dizzy when i walk, when i dont feel good.

But, im going to bed.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:12 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Omg...Was it a lot of blood? I know that you're tired, but you should go to the ER...Did the blood come out during the time you were having the other sx?
Nicknerd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:12 PM #8
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

BLOOD coming out of your nose and mouth?!!!! I hope you're not in bed yet. Blood where it shouldn't be while on Pred gives you a one way, 911 ticket to the ER. GO NOW.

What antibiotics are you on? Be careful, you can easily get secondary infections like clostridium difficile while on Pred and an antibiotic.

You need to be in the ER. Trust me, I understand blood/fluid issues more than most people. I can fill you in on the gory details some other time. GO IN NOW!!!! You seriously could bleed out if you have a bleed. I wish I had your phone #. Wake up and go in.

Annie

See, Tyson, Nicky and I are in agreement. That's two against one! Go in.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:21 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm not in bed yet. But while washing my face....or trying to I had another bleed. It didn't last long but it came out sort of fast. I called the emergemcy number on my clinic card. I am waiting for a call back
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nicknerd (04-01-2010)
Old 04-01-2010, 11:44 PM #10
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Why are you waiting? It's not only that you are bleeding. You are bleeding while on immunosuppressants. I'd hog tie you and take you in myself but you're a few states away. Maybe I'll call my niece who goes to UNC and have her drag you in.

I have hemorrhaged. It isn't fun. And it's highly dangerous, especially for the heart. Just go in.

I should've told you to look your body over. Look for bruising or any red areas. If you are having trouble with clotting, that's serious too.

Last edited by AnnieB3; 04-02-2010 at 12:01 AM.