Myasthenia Gravis For support and discussions on Myasthenia Gravis, Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes and LEMS.

advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 07:52 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Question MG, Thymectomy & Heart Problems ??

Happy Easter Everyone, I hope you all have a great day,

Just wondering if anyone would know if MG / thymectomy could cause heart disturbances? I had a thymectomy median last July and have been fantastic since, that was until well cut a long story short I had a ECG on Thursday and it showed abnormalities with my heart - absent P Waves - Which is kinda has to do with the Atrium, a normal ECG reading must have P Waves, and too top it off the Dr says I have a Murmur, none of these I had prior to surgery , I have a Cardiologist appointment in 10 days, but its really bugging me how all of a sudden this came on,

anyways enough of me blabbering, hoe you all have a great day

Melissa
mm80 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-04-2010, 12:25 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Melissa.

I'm very sorry to hear of your heart issues. It is quite unfortunate.

Yet the only information I have is personal experience. So. I also had a thmyectomy, and now have trachacardia and irregular heart beats and random weakness not due to mg. They have not yet found what is wrong. But they are working on it so I'm not sure if they did someting by accident during surgery or what. Yet I feel your uneasyness.

Please let me know how things work out
tysondouglass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:37 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Melissa ...and Welcome!

Sorry to hear your EKG is causing concern. Cardio will get to the bottom of it. How is your MG? What meds are you taking? Is there any chance your meds are involved?

Hyperkalemia (too much potassium) can effect P-waves - - has any one checked your electrolytes?

Pls. let us know what cardio says...try not to worry 'til then.

Sue
suev is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:46 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default additional details to my post - MG, Thymectomy & Heart Problems

Hi,

in reply to a few of the questions, since my operation I have been symptom free from MG, and am not on any medications what soever, so I dont see it could be hyperkalemia, im not experiencing any tachycardia, have no sensations of heart fluttering, or irregular heart beats, so I to thought of the idea that maybe something due to surgery or imbalances due to having no thymus, it makes no sense, I would assume that any ECG abnormalities if I had some would have been picked up pre-op or while in ICU, so it makes it even more confusing why now after surgery, I think I will just have to face it im a weirdo hahahaha
mm80 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:51 PM #5
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Smile

Melissa, I'm sorry you are dealing with another health issue. Though that's great you aren't on any MG drugs right now.

It is possible you had the murmur prior to surgery. It's not always an exact science figuring out if someone has a murmur, according to my cardiologist. A lot depends on the expertise of the technician doing the echocardiogram, which is the main way they figure out if you have a murmur. Did you have an echocardiogram before your surgery? They would not "see" a murmur on a CT scan. I have a PFO (small hole in my heart) that wasn't seen until I was 42. It won't show up on an ECG either.

Do you know if any other waveform (like the T wave) looked "lower?" I'm asking because a normal p wave may look like it's not there if you are dehydrated. All waves tend to get lower if you are. I would bet that the first thing the cardiologist does is to set up an echocardiogram. Maybe even a 24-hour holter monitor.

Here are some basic articles. Try not to be overwhelmed by any of it! Understanding some heart basics helps.

http://www.cvphysiology.com/Arrhythmias/A009.htm

http://www.fpnotebook.com/CV/Exam/PWv.htm

http://www.americanheart.org/present...?identifier=55

Murmurs can upset the electrical conduction in the heart. So can an electrolyte disturbance (either too much or not enough of one), like Sue said. Nice thought, Sue!

Are you on any supplements?

Any other medical conditions? Have you had your thyroid checked lately? Chem panel, showing electrolytes and liver/kidney function? You'd be surprised how easy it is to have an electrolyte imbalance. Simply a vitamin D deficiency can cause all kind of problems, something a lot of people have.

Try not to worry too much. If it was urgent, you'd be in a hospital right now. If any other symptoms come up, call your doc or go in!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
suev (04-05-2010)