Myasthenia Gravis For support and discussions on Myasthenia Gravis, Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes and LEMS.

advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 12:37 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default *Knock On Wood*

Hi All

I really don't like to say this without knocking on some sort of wood but I FEEL GOOD.

I am not running marathons or lifting weights or anything like that but I am feeling so good and I haven't for quite some time.

I had been on prednisone, imuran and mestinon since Nov. 08. Well I asked my dr to consider tapering the pred because I was not happy with the side effects. I tapered down and took my last pred pill in mid January. Around the same time I got a cold. The muscle weakness got much worse and my breathing started to be affected. The other neuros wanted to start pred again but I asked to hold off until I could see my neuro. My neuro agreed to hold off and agreed to start a monthly IVIG treatment plan.

I am currently on my third monthly treatment and I can't believe how well I am doing. Actually able to walk and not look like I have been drinking. My eyelids are also in a ggod place. I just wanted to tell you because I know that there are a lot of you are struggling with pred as I was for a year. The side effects are not fun.

Thanks for listening and have a happy day. Melanie
rezmommy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-06-2010, 01:58 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Melanie,

What terrific news!! So glad you are feeling better!

Sue
suev is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:37 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezmommy View Post

Hi All

I really don't like to say this without knocking on some sort of wood but I FEEL GOOD.

I am not running marathons or lifting weights or anything like that but I am feeling so good and I haven't for quite some time.

I had been on prednisone, imuran and mestinon since Nov. 08. Well I asked my dr to consider tapering the pred because I was not happy with the side effects. I tapered down and took my last pred pill in mid January. Around the same time I got a cold. The muscle weakness got much worse and my breathing started to be affected. The other neuros wanted to start pred again but I asked to hold off until I could see my neuro. My neuro agreed to hold off and agreed to start a monthly IVIG treatment plan.

I am currently on my third monthly treatment and I can't believe how well I am doing. Actually able to walk and not look like I have been drinking. My eyelids are also in a ggod place. I just wanted to tell you because I know that there are a lot of you are struggling with pred as I was for a year. The side effects are not fun.

Thanks for listening and have a happy day. Melanie
Melanie, That is just awesome! I will pray it keeps improving. If only to get off Prednisone, or at least a maintenance dose. I am on 20 daily now and feel like a blimp. Of course, that is better than the 60 I was on!
Kathie Glenn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:25 PM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Melanie, That's fantastic. I'm glad the IVIG is working for you. I hope things continue this way for you.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:04 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks so much Sue, Kathie Glenn & Annie.

Kathie, I know what you mean about feeling like a blimp. I was on varying doses of pred ( from 100 to 10 mg daily) over the year. During that time I put on 40 LBS. I have been through 4 pregnancies so I kind of thought I would take off the weight like I had after I had the babies. WRONG! This weight is so hard to come off. I have taken 10 LBS off since January but have a long way to go. I have noticed that the insomnia and moodiness have improved greatly. I will keep pushing along while I feel good and hopefully I can get a little more weight off before the summer.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:53 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

That is great news Melanie! I too am feeling much better than I have in a long time so I know how you feel. It's wonderful isn't it? Enjoy each and every minute of your new found health and I pray it will continue for you!

Blessings,
Shari
Shari_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Hooray! I am happy for you.

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you ladies! Shari, I am enjoying it.