Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 01-23-2007, 11:54 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default My Fifth Attempt

This is my 5th attempt to evaluate a product known as Mega Hydrate. It's original name was Microhydrin. My first attempt was brief, but I experienced some relief from Parkinson's symptoms before stopping due to a lack of funds.

My second attempt was a bit longer because the company that manufactured Microhydrin supplied me with enough product for a 3 month trial. By the end of the 3 months I was experiencing relief again from some of my Parkinson's symptoms.

My third attempt came in May of 2000 and lasted until July 10 of the same year, at which time I had a heat stroke while working 12 hour days on the side of a white marble building on an extension ladder in 105 degree temperature. I had been able to improve my "ON" time from 6 to 8 hours per day to about 16 hours per day. After the heat stroke nothing worked, including my Pd meds. It took me over a year to get back to 6 good hours per day. I didn't know how long it would be before my brain would respond again to Microhydrin.

On Sunday, January 19, 2007, three days ago, I began to have flu symptoms, a sinus infection and an abcess around a molar. Knowing that Microhydrin, now called Mega Hydrate is an excellent anti-inflammatory, I began taking a capsule each time I took my Pd meds. Due to rainy, depressing weather, my "ON" time had been a whopping 4 to 6 hours per day, and my ability to walk was becoming less and less.

Today I awakened at 4 a.m. Since my day began so early I decided to take my meds at 5 a.m., 2 hours early. I realized that I would probably be "OFF" by 8 a.m., but I was feeling horrible due to Pd and the other unwanted guests in my body. Well, 8 came then 9 then 10 and 11 and finally at 12 noon I started to go "OFF." I had not had that many consecutive "ON " hours (6 1/2 of them) in a very long time. I took my meds at 12:30 p.m. and was back "ON" by 1 p.m. At about 5:30 I felt a slight twinge of "OFF" coming on me, so I took my third dose (an hour and a half late). I never went completely "OFF". At 8:00 p.m. I decided to go ahead and take my final dose for the day. It is now nearly 11 p.m., and I am still very much "ON". That means that so far today I have had 17 nearly consecutive "ON" hours.

I realize that it is too soon to celebrate, and I realize that this could be a placebo effect, but I also realize that this stuff has worked for me 4 of the 5 times that I have taken it. I will keep you posted.

michael b.
michael7733 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-24-2007, 12:03 AM #2
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Question

michael, is this an rx or otc?

sounds very interesting.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:43 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Actually,

I have been able to get it only through the mail after ordering by phone or on the internet. It is composed of hydrogen ions clustered around a manganese core (I think ). Supposedly, it helps to increase ATP production, while serving as an antioxidant and cell hydrater. The research documents on it are very interesting.

michael b.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:59 AM #4
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

ty michael. i'll do a google search. my dad's pd meds seem to be not giving him much on time.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:19 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Good idea

I haven't found any direct research spedifically for use for Parkinson's, but I have emailed the manufacturer at least 3 times asking him (Patrick Flanagan) to consider doing some research on it. I know they have researched it for other uses, including Alzheimer's and found it effective to some degree or another. I also remember reading that it has been shown to increase the effectiveness of several medications by as much as 300%. Perhaps our Pd meds fall into that category.

Having read many hundreds of abstracts over the years (I am in my 17th year with Pd) I am convinced that a majority of Pd cases are due to mitochondrial dysfunction, which would include ATP production and oxidative stress, and research DOES indicate that this supplement is effective in both areas. Also, the end result of its antioxidant functions is the combining of hydrogen with oxygen to create water which is , in turn, used for transporting substances through and out of cells (detoxification). Just these attributes, in my opinion, should make it an effective, non toxic supplement good for easing Parkinson's symptoms as well as many other disorders, but that is just that...my opinion.

I hope you let us know what you find in your Google search.

michael b.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:32 AM #6
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

i will michael. so far i am reading the info on dr flanagans site. then i'll google some of his key words and findings.

i'm not real good ( still learning) at this medical techical jargan like so many here on the pd forum.

my dad's neuro put him on Aricept after a horrendace time on Requip. no dx of altzheimers, but his neuro thought it would help repair the damage done by the requip. wowza..boy has it. my dad remembers stuff from when he was 5. he couldn't do that before. dad is 75.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:48 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Methinks Dr. Flanigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael7733 View Post
I have been able to get it only through the mail after ordering by phone or on the internet. It is composed of hydrogen ions clustered around a manganese core (I think ). Supposedly, it helps to increase ATP production, while serving as an antioxidant and cell hydrater. The research documents on it are very interesting.

michael b.
quacks like a duck!

The site on Mega Hydrate did not impress me. What were the "research documents" you mentioned?

Please don't misunderstand. If it helped you, terrific. I just couldn't find the beef!

Last edited by RLSmi; 01-24-2007 at 02:55 AM.
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:43 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Research

So, basically, without much effort on your part RLSmi, you are saying that this product is full of quackery? I spent many many hours digging into many websites to find research papers on this product when it was called Microhydrin. What I found made enough sense to me to cause me to try the product for myself. My results were excellent. I obviously cannot say what your results or anyone elses results will be, because we are all different. All I can report on is what I have experienced. That is all I wanted to do here...report. By the way, I had a total of 19 "ON" hours yesterday. I haven't had that many "ON" hours in one day since 1998. I also sept for 9 hours last night and woke up relatively alive, feeling better than usual, exhibiting very little tremor or rigidity. Perhaps I will feel like duck (quack quack) walking later on today. I'll let you know.

Anyway, here is a website where you can view the research papers that provide charts, graphs, references, publications, abstracts, etc.

http://www.megahydrate.com/published_studies.html

I haven't read them all, so I don't know exactly what you will find there. I did read two of the published papers. I will read more later. In the mean time, I think I will go enjoy being able to walk again.

michael (quack quack) b.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:48 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I apologize

RLSmi, I apologize for being so defensive earlier. I had just awakened, and I had not yet had my bowl of quackers for breakfast. My ability to walk has been on the decline for the last year and a half. The fact that my walking improved so dramatically yesterday was, to me, nothing short of a miracle.

Since my first Pd symptoms showed up, sometime in 1990 I have been fairly certain that it was due to an overexposure to chlorine gas. Earlier today I came across a statement on on of the Mega Hydrate websites that it has been shown to neutralize florine and chlorine in the body. That means that just like the discovery of a manganese chelator that helped people with Pd brought on by welding, this product could very well be beneficial to a segment of the Pd population who, like me, was exposed to chlorine gas. I cannot say. I do not know. I think I will try once more to get in touch with Patrick Flanagan and ask him. I will let you know what he says.

Again, I apologize for being rude to you.

michael b.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:26 PM #10
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default while not addressing the particular product...

...I will suggest a more accessible booster for mitochondrial function that I can vouch for. The combination of alpha lipoic acid, acetyl-L-carnitine, and L-carnosine work synergistically to address the problem, at least for me.

Try the simple test of recording the length of time you can stand on each foot. Take the combination for a week and repeat the test under the same conditions. I more than tripled my times the last time I did a "dry out and reintroduce" trial. If you have anywhere near similar results you'll *know* it is worthwhile. You can buy those three at any big drugstore now although I suggest you find a health food store and buy either Jarrow or NOW brand. Since they are unregulated you have to rely on the reputation of the manufacturer.

You are definitely right about mitochondrial dysfunction. It seems to be one of the big three processes (not causes) at work in PD, the others being oxidation and inflammation, although it gets hard to seperate them at that level.

-Rick
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote