Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 09:04 PM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Question about Windows Vista

Hi all!!

Hope everybody is doing good.

I have a question. My landlord has a computer with Windows Vista.

Now I don't have Vista, I have XP, so I don't know how to check her hard drive to see how many gigs her hard drive has and how much Ram.

Can you please just give me a simple way (I'll write it down), so we can find out exactly what she has.

They bought this computer about 2 years ago. It's nice, and does nicely, but when I asked "how much is your hard drive, and how much Ram do you have?" she did not know.

Also, tonight I went there and on her computer there was this pop up thingee saying "

This is Windows Security, blah blah..
"
YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED, and it listed all kinds of trojans, and viruses (it was very real looking). Now I know that they have NORTON on their computer. I told them "do not click on continue because nothing on this screen says NORTON has found this stuff". So we x'd out of it, and I ran a NORTON scan.

It found NOTHING.

So I gather this was a scam or something?

It prompted a download of Super Professional Anti Spyware (which I have on MY computer, and which was given to me as a tool by the people at Radial Point, who do my Internet Security Suite". So I've been using it ever since, and it finds EVERYTHING. and quarantines it and removes it.

So how come Windows Security popped up on her computer, telling her she had trojans, and viruses, and wanted her to download Super Professional Spyware?

And her NORTON found NOTHING??

Very confusing.

Thanks for any help.

melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-01-2010, 09:16 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I have Vista on my laptop and I don't know if the format this information is in is because of the laptop or because of Vista, but try this :

Go to "Computer". or "My Computer". When that opens click on "System Properties".

That's where all that info is for me. If it's not what you need then sorry, hopefully some-one else will know more.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:26 PM #3
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala77 View Post
I have Vista on my laptop and I don't know if the format this information is in is because of the laptop or because of Vista, but try this :

Go to "Computer". or "My Computer". When that opens click on "System Properties".

That's where all that info is for me. If it's not what you need then sorry, hopefully some-one else will know more.
You know, I'm such a DINGBAT, I should have known to go to My computer. I went to Control Panel.

How silly I am.

And I do thank you.

Hope others agree with what you indicated.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (05-01-2010), Koala77 (05-01-2010)
Old 05-01-2010, 11:09 PM #4
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I don't know why that pop up showed up.
but to be safe i would have them run one of these reputable sites online scans.

#
Free Online Virus Scan | BitDefender Online Scanner

Incorporating the BitDefender award-winning scanning engines, BitDefender Online Scanner is an on-demand antivirus and antispyware tool that shows how safe ...
www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html - Cached - Similar

#
HouseCall - Free Online Virus Scan - Trend Micro USA

HouseCall is a free virus scanner offered by Trend Micro, which checks whether a computer has been infected by viruses, spyware, or other malware.
housecall.trendmicro.com/ - Cached - Similar

#
Free Virus Scan - Kaspersky Lab

Scan your computer for viruses with our free online virus scanner. ... Kaspersky Lab: Antivirus Software and Free Online Virus Scan ...
www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner - Cached - Similar

#
Virus File Scanner

Kaspersky Lab: Antivirus Software and Free Online Virus Scan ... your computer to a dedicated server, where it will be scanned using Kaspersky Anti-Virus. ...
www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus - Cached - Similar

#
Free Virus Scan - Free Antivirus Software | Norton Security Scan

Test your computer's exposure to online security threats with free virus scan. Learn how free antivirus solution can make your computer more secure.
security.symantec.com/ - Cached - Similar

#
FREE ANTIVIRUS Online - Download ActiveScan 2.0 and clean your PC ...

Panda ActiveScan 2.0 - Free Antivirus. Are you really sure that your PC is not infected? ActiveScan 2.0 is an advanced online scanner based on Collective ...
www.pandasecurity.com › Antivirus Users
- Cached - Similar

#
Free Virus Protection, Free Virus Scan | FreeScan | McAfee

McAfee protects you with the latest 2009 antivirus software for free with ... you would also terminate your agreement to use the McAfee Online Backup, ...
home.mcafee.com/downloads/freescan.aspx - Cached - Similar
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (05-02-2010), Lara (05-20-2010)
Old 05-01-2010, 11:33 PM #5
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Jo:

How can they download any of those free anti-virus things? I thought you can't have two anti-virus things on the computer. I heard this some time ago. You can have a spyware and a anti-virus but you can't have two anti-virus thingees.

I installed their Norton anti-virus recently. Earlier this evening, I showed them how to start a scan. It found NOTHING.

That's as far as I'll go. God Forbid that I tell them to go to one of these sites, and they download something and they don't know what they are doing, (or if I do it, and I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING??).

Not gonna happen.

I like my landlord. I want them to keep liking me. lol

Very nice people.

Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 05-02-2010, 12:53 AM #6
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

There is a difference between that online scan type and the installed regular anti virus programs.
The Norton {installed type} runs in the background to catch anything suspicious before it can do damage.
Or it should be doing that if the settings are set that way.

And there are levels of programs also - basic - AV only, AV & Anti spyware, AV/ anti spy & firewall, and then the internet suites or extreme type programs that cover just about everything.

so depending on what Norton type they have...they could be covered well or not so well.

But back to the having 2 or more AV etc at once -

you can have them installed but only have 1 running actively at a time.
then use the others as one time scans to double check for baddies.
So the main thing is not to have 2 or more actively running full time at the same time.
Hope that explains it for you.

I have Zone Alarm extreme running as main full time protection.
but I also have malwarebytes, super anti spyware and some others to run as stand alone scans, but they aren't active until I run the scan myself.

for now I would just have them wait and see if the notice pops up again or not...
Old 05-02-2010, 09:01 AM #7
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Thank you Jo, you explained this BEAUTIFULLY!!

So I shall wait.

I love to go there, because when something comes up, and I learn how to fix it, well...I learn something NEW!!

I like to learn something new every day. It's how I stay current. I will probably NEVER be so up to date that I know all the new stuff that comes around.

But boy, if I was in my 20's, I would have been a computer geek. I remember when my company sent me to IBM computer school over 30 years ago. My fellow employees were livid that I was chosen.

But when everybody got a computer, well, who do you think they called?

MELODYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! It used to drive my boss nuts. She finally said "Stop picking up the phone, let them learn the way you did"

lol

Maybe someday I'll get an IPAD. I'm not holding my breath.

I haven't gotten a laptop yet!!!

lol lol lol

Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 05-16-2010, 02:20 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I know this is an older thread but I just thought I would add something. The virus warning that you saw on their screen could very easily have just been a pop up add. I have seen many pop up adds that look very professional and official, and are designed to make people think they are getting a message from their own system.

Many of them look as though they are performing a scan of your system. If the person is fooled and then clicks into the add, they can be redirected to all kinds of things from an add or trial for antivirus software, to downloading a virus onto their system.

If you get a virus warning that you don’t recognize, just get off the internet and then scan your system with your own antivirus software.

Having said that, there are many threats that common antivirus software will not detect. So it is also possible that you can be infected, and then your own antivirus scan comes up clean. In a situation like that, where you think something may have happened but you can’t detect it, using a more robust online one-time scan from a reputable company is a good idea (As Jo*mar already said and also already provided links to a few).

I hope this helped a little, although I see Jo*mar is already the resident tech here. God Bless You.

Bernclay-
bernclay2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:27 AM #9
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

The more input from others is all the better,
lots of times I google for the info - just to be sure LOL

I like to learn things and try to solve problems , but sometimes I'm not up for typing long replies due to my RSIs, so all help is appreciated.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:39 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Mel, in case no one has told you this, yes it's an infection. Get Malwarebytes here: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...e/1186760019/1 It should be the latest version. Perform a full scan. You may have to scan more than once to get it all. Use Ccleaner to get rid of all the leftover entries in the registry. Took me a couple of days to find anything that would remove it without me having to manually go into the registry and look for it. I hate having to do that. *shudder* This program took care of it. If it doesn't let me know...there are other things that can as well. Feel free to PM me if you need to. I do this for a living.