Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 01:33 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Print Larger

Does anyone know how I can change the print on the internet to a larger size? Thanks!

HANG IN THERE!

If I had to sum up FRIENDSHIP in one word, it would be COMFORT. ~Adabella Radici

MS/dx2006
BETASERON (Quit May 2011)
COPAXONE (Began June 2011)
Friend2U is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-18-2010, 02:14 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

In FireFox you hit control and scroll wheel to increase font size.

I imagine that is a "windows" command too for IE.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Friend2U (05-18-2010)
Old 05-18-2010, 02:20 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

WOW...that is so easy!!! Thank you so much!!!!

HANG IN THERE!

If I had to sum up FRIENDSHIP in one word, it would be COMFORT. ~Adabella Radici

MS/dx2006
BETASERON (Quit May 2011)
COPAXONE (Began June 2011)
Friend2U is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:20 AM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

To increase the print in any window, hold down Control (Ctrl) and +

To make the print smaller again, hold Control and -

There is a way to increase the size permanently via your control panel, but I'll leave that to an expert

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:02 PM #5
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

How to Modify Text Size In Internet Explorer 8

[Click on the Page menu, located towards the far right hand side of your browser's Tab Bar. When the drop-down menu appears, select the Text Size option.]
http://browsers.about.com/od/interne...textsize_2.htm

This will make your preferred size the default size, so you don't have to keep adjusting it.

Adjust Firefox Font Size
nice video of how to do it -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEBBmQg26Ek
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (05-18-2010)
Old 05-30-2010, 10:25 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default How about a different option?

Increasing the size by hitting the percentage button in the bottom right corner of the screen will make everything bigger, but if you'd like another option, how about changing operating systems?

As a bit of a geek (including programming at my last job), I've always been rather naughty about keeping up with the latest things computers can do and I've got to tell you, Windows 7 is simply fantastic, especially for those who are disabled.

For years computer software and hardware manufactures have been promising us the moon as far as ease and usability yet they've never quite lived up to their claims. Now Windows 7 finally has.

So long as you have a computer with more than enough power to handle the extra program(s) running in the background, the new voice recognition and speech applications that's part of Windows 7 is beyond belief because it works so well. Before now, all we had was Naturally Speaking and some other limited use programs, but their error rates were nerve wracking and if you were using the wrong program, they wouldn't work at all. Windows 7 works with basically everything. For example you can do the following:

(First, get yourself a headset with microphone boom so your voice will be more easily understood by the computer instead of using the built in microphones all computers have which greatly diminish the accuracy of the spoken word)

After you've turned on the handicap accessibility options and you have this program running as soon as your machine boots up, you can then tell the computer, "Start, Explorer, USAToday, weather, down 3 lines," and the computer will not only open your Internet browser but also open the newspaper and then click on the weather tab followed by going down 3 lines so you can see a bit lower on the page. The verbal commands are amazing and so easy to use.

Now if you're having a hard time seeing the text, then tell the computer what you want it to read aloud. You can choose the tone, sex, and speed of each word as the computer speaks aloud whatever it is you're interested in. This application works extremely well for emails be it composing or reading what you've been sent. By using both handicap accessibility programs in tandem, you'll find yourself doing more with greater ease than you've ever dreamed of before.

As far as the only glitch, it's regarding the computer you're using. While Windows 7 claims that it uses less system resources than Vista did (and it's true but only in part), it's all about speed and memory. Most Vista based computers are still using 32 bit technology, but it's been the improved 64 bit that's really opened up the capabilities of doing more. Because these programs I'm advising you to use are running in the background all the time, you'll do a lot better if you have 4 GB of RAM and if you go ahead and upgrade into one of the new Intel I-3, I-5, or I-7 processors with DDR3 RAM, I know these programs work like a breeze. I cannot promise great results unless you have the hardware to handle the extra workload. The good news is that I-3 Intel based computers already on the market with 4 GB of RAM can be purchased for less than $700 if you shop really hard. When I upgraded this past February I got 18 month 0% interest money so the deals are out there.

Oops, and one other thing worth considering. Don't ever get a new notebook computer unless it has the HDMI output on the side of the machine. This gives you the option of plugging your notebook computer that's sitting on your coffee table in the living room into your high-def TV which greatly increases the size of the screen/display area. Since the whole goal is for you to see everything easier, we need to make sure you haven't missed a step along the way.

If you're like me and your computer is your window to the world since our own worlds have grown so much smaller, it's a luxury that makes our days so much nicer so this is money well spent. If you'd like any more info about which type of kind of machines are out there and which will work the best for you, please drop me a line so I can help you pick whatever will work best for your needs and applications. Here's hoping you can find computing a whole lot easier and more fun, Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend2U View Post
Does anyone know how I can change the print on the internet to a larger size? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Print Larger-study-1st-floor-jpg   Print Larger-study-comp-stand-view-jpg  
bobinjeffmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote