Myasthenia Gravis For support and discussions on Myasthenia Gravis, Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes and LEMS.

advertisement

Old 05-18-2010, 07:59 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Sick again

Hey all. Hope your feeling well.

I have yet another sinus infection, and it's making my mg worse, by the end of the day it's hard to breathe and get up the stairs, or even brush my teeth.

I think I'm close to an exacerterbation (sp) the sulfa I am taking for my sinus infection isn't working yet and I can't sleep w the raging headaches I've been getting all day. And chest pains.

I'm getting weaker as I type so I need to make it short.

But when I breathe in, I cough like it's very dry. Due to the sinus infection?

Hope your well.
tysondouglass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-18-2010, 10:15 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Tyson, Are you absolutely sure you don't have allergies? You're having an awful lot of sinus infections.

A dry cough can have a lot of causes. Post-nasal drip or allergic response.

If you don't feel better, go in.

Is no one taking these headaches seriously yet?

Watch for any signs of an allergic response to sulfa, since a lot of people are allergic to it. Any signs like hives and you have to dial 911. Okay?!!!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:45 PM #3
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Whether this is politically correct or not, I'm sad that you have had only one reply to your post. You are obviously really frustrated with your level of care and need some support. I hope your internist will take your headaches and other symptoms seriously. Soon.

Hang in there. I hope you are more careful while out in the heat or when doing any activity. You know you can go downhill fast. It's easy to be tricked into thinking you are "ok" when you aren't.

Annie
Old 05-21-2010, 01:11 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Annie, you are right and I am feeling guilty . I have been busy lately, but that is no excuse!

Tyson, I worry about you! It does sound like you may have allergies. I have allergies and have to keep a close watch on the status of my nose and skin (I get itchy with allergies, not just sinus problems) . I don't get sinus infections now because I have learned to prevent them.

This may sound like a repetition of previous discussions, but the sinus problems could be from being overmedicated. My allergies flare up with antibiotics and all sorts of medication, so I try to avoid drugs as much as possible. At one time I was stuck in a cycle of infection leading to antibiotics leading to getting better then getting an even worse infection and on and on.

These are just some of my thoughts that may help....(some of these were recommended by my previous wonderful doctor whom I miss greatly. I sure wish I could find a decent doctor who actually cares. It seems like all the doctors I meet where I live now believe in drugs alone and not the use of food/vitamins to stay healthy. This is my current frustration.) Anyway, here are some thoughts that may help.

-Dry coughs are the worst. You can try some of the nasal spray, the kind without drugs, the kind that is basically salt water, this really helps me.

-I am allergic to Sulfa drugs, please do be careful and watch for signs of allergy. I think having an autoimmune disorder makes it more likely for us to get allergies...

-Vitamin C and Vitamin E really help with allergies and sinus problems. I take these 2-3 times every day if I suspect my allergies are starting. I notice that if I take them consistantly every time I start to get a runny nose or itchy skin then I rarely get a true allergic reaction. These vitamins are good for MG as well.

-Vitamin B-12 does wonders for allergies as well as for energy and seems to help with MG for many people.

-Drink plenty water.

I do think you are overmedicated and this is making your MG worse. Of course this is my opinion and I am not a doctor. Your headaches and other pains are a sign that something is wrong. I hope that by now you are feeling better.

How are you?

Please take care of yourself and get lots of rest.

DesertFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:17 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, Tyson, are you starting to feel better?

Abby
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:25 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hey all- Thanks for caring and wanting to know how I am doing. It really helps.

Annie- None of my doctors have suggested i have allergies or to take an allergy medicine..I would assume they would If they thought that. Or on the other hand, they may not have. No one is doing anything about the headaches, so ive had to move onto high doses of ibuprofen which is probably killing my liver, but i cant stand them.

I tried playing soccer the other day..just standing there it was 10 minutes then i could barely breathe. I stopped.

Desertflower- I can understand why you think i would be over medicated...yet I dont think i am. Im only on 12 pills a day, not including vitamins, which i dont take but should. Thanks for thinking of me, and ill take your thoughts into consideration.

Im not feeling any better with the sinus infection, and im getting very tired quickly again, probably do to the infection. Yet this morning when i got up, i coughed up so much blood. Not sure where that came from..yet it was there. In the mucas, it wasnt yellow, it was all red. and my nose is still so stuffy i cant breathe well out of it, and im just weak.

Ill be fine, but im just sick of all the opp. infections that come along with a weak immune system..

How are you all doing?
tysondouglass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:48 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi, Tyson - so, just to state the obvious, coughing up blood is very bad and should be checked out.

As for the sinus infections, I get them all the time. Something you might try that's been a big help for me is saline nasal spray. You can get a cheap spray from Wal-Mart or Target, and it helps to keep the sinus passages from getting dried out (which it sounds like your sinuses are dried out) and also helps to clean out the sinuses and prevent full-blown sinus infections.

I don't know all the back-story on your situation, but it does sound like you need something different, and that what your doctors are (or aren't) doing isn't very helpful for you.

Jennifer
Jenn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:28 PM #8
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Coughing up blood, like Jenn said, is not normal. You absolutely have to go in, Tyson. Enough is enough. We can't help you, only doctors can.

And, again, neurologists aren't allergists (or vice versa) and neither are internists. Nope, I'm not one either but I do have allergies and have one of the best allergists around. It's not unlike when dogs have recurrent ear infections - chances are high that they have an allergy.

Blood is not supposed to be coming out of any orifice. It is one of those fluids that is supposed to be contained - unless you are a woman!!! So go to the ER, bring the "evidence" if you have it and get some help.

Annie
Old 05-22-2010, 05:03 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yeah, I was alarmed, too, when you said you were coughing up blood. That's not normal, even for a raging sinus infection.

I used to have what I thought were terrible sinus headaches--turned out they were migraines. I think sinus infections trigger migraines, for me, at least. And migraines alone can make your sinuses hurt. I mention this only because the new triptan drugs for migraines are terrific. Though of course I don't know how they interact with mg...
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:32 PM #10
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

One more thing, Tyson. You can have a bleed from too much Ibuprofen while on Pred. And toxicity. Drugs are not benign, not even the over-the-counter ones. I hope you aren't drinking any alcohol with that drug either.

And I hope you have made your way to the ER by now.