Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 05-20-2010, 10:12 AM #1
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Arrow Facebook & privacy..?? check your settings

Tighten your Facebook privacy settings

[Facebook, the big daddy of these three, has made quiet changes to its privacy settings, ones that members need to understand if they are going to manage the distribution of their personal information.

I find Facebook useful, mostly as a way to stay in touch with a select set of my friends and former co-workers. It's not my public soapbox nor a window into my personal life, left open to the world — for that, I have blogs and Twitter.

As much as I like Facebook, it has a flaw that I'll never see in my blogs and hopefully never see with Twitter. It seems the proprietors of Facebook find it necessary, desirable, or profitable to change member privacy settings, usually with little notice to members. In every case I can think of, privacy settings have become more relaxed — more open, if you will.]

more of the story-
http://windowssecrets.com/comp/100520/#story1
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (05-24-2010), whispers (06-05-2010)

advertisement
Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Shocked

Thanks, Jo. You know I thought we had done the most privacy thing there. But finding customize is not easy! It is only in the personal info section...which hubby never filled out.

There is some reason Facebook is making so much money, and this sharing of information has to be a major factor for the owner of the site!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (05-24-2010), Jomar (05-20-2010)
Old 05-30-2010, 06:44 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

In respect to privacy, does FB go so far it permits one person to have multiple accounts and set up accounts for the lone purpose of "trolling," but will not confirm (inner-office, even) that all-n-one ... same person and to end problems?

Client-side privacy is essential, I believe, only I wonder why they allow people to set up "troll" accounts and remain slow to act (if at all) when they are provided with the corroborating (sp?) info.

Its privacy settings, now being re-done, could have been implemented long ago . When FB was still in its founding stages, the Net had been around long enough to realize that people do want control over their accounts and varying degrees of privacy. So I wonder: Why its privacy settings happen in stages at this late date. Hmmm.

P.S.: Anyone notice that I detest the trolls online?

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:53 AM #4
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

FB's privacy guide-
http://www.facebook.com/privacy/explanation.php

FB terms-
# Registration and Account Security

Facebook users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:

1. You will not provide any false personal information on Facebook, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
2. You will not create more than one personal profile.
3. If we disable your account, you will not create another one without our permission.
4. You will not use your personal profile for your own commercial gain (such as selling your status update to an advertiser).
5. You will not use Facebook if you are under 13.
6. You will not use Facebook if you are a convicted sex offender.
7. You will keep your contact information accurate and up-to-date.
8. You will not share your password, (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.
9. You will not transfer your account (including any page or application you administer) to anyone without first getting our written permission.
10. If you select a username for your account we reserve the right to remove or reclaim it if we believe appropriate (such as when a trademark owner complains about a username that does not closely relate to a user's actual name).
http://www.facebook.com/terms.php?r

I bet most don't even read the terms.
I'll bet there are kids under 13 on it
and multiple accounts made
accounts for others made as jokes or worse
#7 is just funny to me

Saw this article -
10 Reasons To Delete Your Facebook Account
http://www.businessinsider.com/10-re...account-2010-5
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bobbi (06-03-2010)
Old 05-30-2010, 01:22 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Here's a couple more ways that might help

Now that we all know Facebook is one great big whole where our entire lives are open to the public, I've learned about a couple great ways to fix these problems once and for all.

http://www.reclaimprivacy.org/

http://www3.untangle.com/saveface

Follow the instructions and I promise you'll be both amazed about just how exposed you are, and secondly how you can plug up these holes so you're no longer exposed to the entire world. I've worked both of the above sites through on my FaceBook and it works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
Tighten your Facebook privacy settings

[Facebook, the big daddy of these three, has made quiet changes to its privacy settings, ones that members need to understand if they are going to manage the distribution of their personal information.

I find Facebook useful, mostly as a way to stay in touch with a select set of my friends and former co-workers. It's not my public soapbox nor a window into my personal life, left open to the world — for that, I have blogs and Twitter.

As much as I like Facebook, it has a flaw that I'll never see in my blogs and hopefully never see with Twitter. It seems the proprietors of Facebook find it necessary, desirable, or profitable to change member privacy settings, usually with little notice to members. In every case I can think of, privacy settings have become more relaxed — more open, if you will.]

more of the story-
http://windowssecrets.com/comp/100520/#story1
bobinjeffmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Abbie (05-30-2010), Bobbi (06-03-2010), Jomar (05-30-2010)
Old 05-31-2010, 07:50 PM #6
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Arrow

Thanks for posting those.

I just got this in my email notices -

[Clickjacking Worm Hits Facebook, Hundreds Of Thousands Affected

A clickjacking worm that forced hundreds of thousands of unsuspecting Facebook users to unknowingly post spam messages on their profiles, rapidly spread through the social networking website over the weekend. The worm used catchy news headlines to lure its victims into the trap.]
more-
http://cyberinsecure.com/clickjackin...ands-affected/
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bobbi (06-04-2010)