Myasthenia Gravis For support and discussions on Myasthenia Gravis, Congenital Myasthenic Syndromes and LEMS.

advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 10:23 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Cool video I found..kind of humorous;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkYPfuuEXfs

haha- spelled the subject line wrong, but wont let me change. You understand
tysondouglass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-25-2010, 10:32 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

nursing students?
Shame on them.
Let me see how well theyd do singing a few verses about breast cancer or colon cancer. maybe take a shot at cerebal palsey.
Actually, it ticked me off and Im going to let those people know it.
I dont look foward to having someone shove needles into my veins every 6 weeks so I can function somewhat normally.
I hope someone gives them a good smack in the head and tells them to wake up.
allen L is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:40 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Allen, it wasnt meant to make you or anyone angry, and im sorry if it did.

I find it quite interesting, its not as though they are bashing MG or any other medical issue, they are simply addressing it in a matter of acting and music. I can appreciate your frustration, though.
tysondouglass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:05 PM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Well, no one with MG could sing that song - it drones on so long.

I actually understand, from a teaching perspective, what they are trying to do. It's both about being creative while learning and working as teams. I honestly don't believe they are mocking the diseases, just trying to have fun learning them. And the fact that they chose less well-known diseases is a good thing.

I would bet, Allen, that they are too young to even understand why that would be offensive to someone with a disease or condition. You might think my entire book is offensive since I really go after doctors in a humorous way.

Perhaps it would be funnier for us if people with MG had done it. You know how certain groups like Norwegians, which I am one of, can make fun of themselves but when someone else does it we get ticked off?

Tyson, you don't have to apologize for sharing something you thought was funny!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:14 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am not angry with Tyson.
He is entitled to his own opinion of the work, as well as everyone else.
I dont believe incurable diseases or conditions should be presented in anyway that finds humor in them.(any diseases) And they were laughing in the video.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:58 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Tyson, I had been on YouTube last week and found it too. Every once in awhile I get on there and see if there is anything posted for MG and thymectomy (since I had one). It's amazing what people record and post. Heck, I half way expected to find my surgery posted there (just kidding) since I was told I was the first person in the U.S. to have a thymectomy done robotically with the DaVinci Si (dual console) model. One woman has done several short videos regarding MG and her thymectomy (transsternal) to let people know what to expect.
KathyV is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:12 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Allen, as a former teacher, I am pretty sure that this was a classroom "project". The students were put into groups -- each group was assigned a disease or disorder -- and they were told to come up with a presentation that would "teach" the other students about the symptoms and characteristics of that disease or disorder. The students usually get EXTRA points for creativity -- I'm guessing this one got an A+ -- not your ordinary boring Power Point presentation.

Although the students WERE laughing -- it was not AT MG -- rather it was at the absurdity of nursing students SINGING in front of their peers. Nursing is such a SERIOUS, time-consuming area of study that these students were just WAY out of their element for a while -- like puppies who have been in a cage all of their lives and are suddenly let go!! (I have a nursing student living in my house right now -- she studies 6-7 hours a day!!)
Old 05-26-2010, 10:42 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It reminds me of that scene in the movie _Titanic_, where someone's demonstrating his theory of how the boat broke and sank, and the survivor in the room says, "The reality was somewhat different..."
Stellatum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:44 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

jana, I am offering my opinion of what I think of that video and the thought put behind it.
Noone has to agree with me, but I found it completely distasteful.
When one of the members of this board is rushed to the emergency room because they are choking on something or their breathing stops in crisis, or they cant get out of bed for 4 days and loses their job, then their home, play that video and see if it cheers them up.
Moderator:If my post is out of line, please feel free to zap it and I will not be offended.
The video might have been a presentation to explain the disease, but theres nothing happy like strumming a guitar when someone cant keep their eyes open or sees double.
I wont defend my position again, and Ill say it again, shame on those nursing students.
Sometimes puppies have to be caught and shoved back into the cage, because they urinate and poop all over the floor, and havent learned how to behave out of the cage.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:14 PM #10
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I was just looking at all of the videos on that page -
I also think it must be some sort of presentation/lesson, since there are different sets of students doing different song/illnesses.
And they must be in a classroom setting.
Singing about the symptoms, etc.

I guess you can look at them as good, interesting or in bad taste, but some did pretty good versions with the song/symptoms.

I think on the linked video it was students in the audience giggling- probably because of a goof by a singer and not the subject matter.