Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 04:53 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Puritan’s Pride CoQ10

I’m curious as to whether anyone has tried Puritan’s Pride CoQ10 Softgels. I have read there are more pure forms of CoQ10, but Puritan’s Pride seems to be one of the more reputable manufacturers whose supplements I can afford.

Is anyone here using Puritan’s Pride CoQ10, and having a good experience with it? Anyone having a bad experience?

Are there any known dangers in taking 1200mg/day over the long term?
mantaray is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-27-2010, 09:32 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Turns out Puritan's Pride CoQ10 contains soy lecithin, which was likely processed with Hexane. Ugh. So maddening trying to figure out what to do. I want to begin a safe and healthy CoQ10 regimen, but I don't want to bankrupt my family in the process. If anyone has found a good balance between quality/safety and affordability, I would love to hear about it. I'll do some digging through past posts as well.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:35 AM #3
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Hi mantaray

you may want to check www.iherb.com as they sell quality brand supplements at a much lower cost than most other places, very low shipping charge too

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mantaray (05-27-2010)
Old 05-27-2010, 09:59 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the link, Chemar. Looks like iHerb has some healthier options while remaining affordable.

Generally speaking, I would still love to hear from anyone willing to share with a newbie his/her experiences with CoQ10 supplements. There's a mountain of info out there, even on this site! Would love to hear experiences and opinions, maybe "distilled down" a little bit for someone who's feeling very overwhelmed right now.

I'm recently diagnosed, and feeling scared and desperate as I write this. So, yeah... I guess I'm asking for a little hand-holding when it comes to this issue of supplements.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:20 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I've been using the Puritan's Pride brand for awhile - a couple years at 2000 to 2400mg. It is the most reasonably priced supplement I could find. I have no noticeable improvement - good or bad - but using more for "neuroprotection" which is debatable. I try to space out over course of the day.

I didn't think about the Hexane issue though - its worth thinking about. I believe that Puritan's Pride is supposed to get their coq10 from Zymes/Kaneka but I don't think that is entirely accurate.

I really like Jarrow supplements after researching certifications, etc. However they are more expensive and don't make a 400mg pill.

"Older" folks are said to possibly need ubiquinol - the reduced form - but that is more expensive and in lower doses (not sure what direct correlation is).

I would be interested in 400mg pills that are affordable.
newguy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:51 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default A suggestion...

Hi Both,

Welcome to the best informed forum on PD around. I honestly don't think many of us here take Ubiquinol; it is so expensive and the clinical trial results mixed at best. Many of us here tend to focus on anti-inflammatory actions of various herbals- please see the thread "What is your chosen therapy/alternative treatments" for a really good glimpse at what we we do use and why.

Also, for anyone interested in taking supplements, I highly recommend a subscription to Consumer Lab; they provide research reviews and test/rate various brands for many herbal and nutritional supplements. I don't like to recommend brands in an open forum but if you want to PM me, I will share.

I will post this from Consumer Lab on CoQ 10:

CoQ 10 is fat soluble and may be better absorbed when taken in an oil-based soft gel form rather than in a dry form such as tablets and capsules.1,81 Dividing the total daily dosage up into two or more separate doses may produce higher blood levels.

A finely ground up ("nanoparticular") form of the supplement appears to be much better absorbed than standard CoQ 10 products.86

HTH!

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mantaray (05-27-2010)
Old 05-27-2010, 10:42 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default good price ubiquinol

One of the better suppliers of high quality ubiquinol/CoQ10 derivative is Amazon. They carry Doctors Best Best Ubiquinol featuring Kaneka's QH for $24.50 for 60 capsules 100 mgs. A bit cheaper than iHerb.

Jon
aquario is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote