advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 11:34 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I went to local SSD office yesterday

I had an appt re:SSI portion, I know I won't get it. I don't know if SSI gives retro pay, I do think there was a short period that our income may have qualified us in beginning of my SSD application, so I'm wondering if maybe I will get retro for that short period.

When I first did my application my oldest daughter was a minor, now she 19 and I was told she has to come in and file for her portion of SSI.
I just thought if any backpay from SSI, it would just be sent along with my other kids.

Also, the agent couldn't tell me how much my SSD monthly benefits, he said he wasn't authorized to view.
Just wanted to let you all know how it went. Thanks
sm08 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-08-2010, 02:52 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yeesh..I wish I could help you out, but I don't know about SSI. I do know that they wouldn't tell me my benefit amount either. I found out a few days or maybe even a week after my awards letter came.

I wish you the very best of luck!!!!
Cblue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:45 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm08 View Post
I had an appt re:SSI portion, I know I won't get it. I don't know if SSI gives retro pay, I do think there was a short period that our income may have qualified us in beginning of my SSD application, so I'm wondering if maybe I will get retro for that short period.

When I first did my application my oldest daughter was a minor, now she 19 and I was told she has to come in and file for her portion of SSI.
I just thought if any backpay from SSI, it would just be sent along with my other kids.

Also, the agent couldn't tell me how much my SSD monthly benefits, he said he wasn't authorized to view.
Just wanted to let you all know how it went. Thanks
Any back pay amount is based only on your income. I know there's a formula for calculating. It's how many earned credits you have earned and I believe, just guessing here, it goes back 5 years. I will try to find out the answer.

SSI is based on the income and assets of both you and your husband. Since backkpay is based on earned income I don't think, again I guessing that SSI gives you retroactive benefits. The following link should answer all your questions. http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/11000.html Again I will try to find out a definitive answer for you.
Trudi
Old 06-09-2010, 01:53 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=sm08;662700]I had an appt re:SSI portion, I know I won't get it. I don't know if SSI gives retro pay, I do think there was a short period that our income may have qualified us in beginning of my SSD application, so I'm wondering if maybe I will get retro for that short period.

I checked the SSI website and you get benefits from one month after you applied or became eligible for SSI. So if it takes 6 months to approve your application you would get 5 months backpay. It's a lot more complicated than this if you have income but the previous cited website should answer all you question if not call the SSA.
Trudi